• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

WiFi

Kent Shrimper

Mike Reid
Right ive ordered my PSP and want to set the PC up so i can play over the net via WiFi.

Now what do i need, any products that are recommended from the SZ community? And is it straight forward to set up etc?

Cheers
Andy

I have lost touch slightly with the scene, but I have been on the net with my PSP and home WiFi using the browser in Wipeout Fusion.

I believe there is a dedicated browser out now though, but I doubt you will be able to use it straight away as newer firmware PSP's do not yet allow homebrow/back-up software to run.

Check out PSP Updates which is a great site for PSP news, reviews and downloads. Also has a helpful forum...

Good luck with the PSP - they are superb, but get at least a 1gb Mem Stick if you can. I have got a 512 and its not enough!

You'll need a wireless router and some wireless PCI cards for your PC(s).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Aug. 14 2005,10:14)]You'll need a wireless router and some wireless PCI cards for your PC(s).
Dave, Can you suggest a Router? and what do the PCA Cards do?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Aug. 14 2005,15:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Aug. 14 2005,10:14)]You'll need a wireless router and some wireless PCI cards for your PC(s).
I'm not scrivs, but I can suggest using belkin products for all your wireless needs

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tilly's Prodical Son @ Aug. 14 2005,18:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Aug. 14 2005,15:40)]
[b said:
I'm not scrivs, but I can suggest using belkin products for all your wireless needs
Where as I would touch nothing but Netgear!

Get an ADSL/Cable wireless modem/router combo and save yourself a shed-load of hassle.

You do not need a wireless PCI card to connect as the PSP will connect directly to the router (which is connected to the internet)...

*NET* -> *ROUTER* -> *PC* + *PSP*

I've got Netgear DG834G which I have had for a year or so which I've been happy with. PCI cards enable you're PC to receive, and transmit the internet connection to the router.

I'm using Netgear MA311 cards and you will need on per PC you want on the wireless network.

The type of router you will need depends on your type of internet connection cable or not? I'm with BT so mine is fine for that but not cable lines.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Aug. 14 2005,19:01)]Where as I would touch nothing but Netgear!
As would I.

Belkin are really just poor in comparision, also Netgear Wifi comes with builtin SPI Firewall - which is the best type to have.

Please remember when setting up your wifi that you use the security settings otherwise anybody could hack into your PC or piggy back onto your Internet connection.

My minimum would be

1) set up 128bit encryption

2) change the ip address your router and dhcp pool are on - for instance default is 192.168.1.0 go for 192.168.(your age).0

3) Disable SSID Broadcast - this will mean you will need to enter the Network name (SSID) also by doing this people will not be able to just scan and see your network, they would need to know what it was called, which means dont use Network of Wifi try something personal.

If anyone needs any more help then just holler. After all I am Network Security Engineer.
wink.gif

Also it was I Scriv's turned to originally when he first looked at Wifi.

Actually it was Ninja first Andee but I'll let you bask in the glory too ;)

Also as a security measure turn MAC adressing on and then you can specify which devices you will permit to connect. There's no safer way IMHO.

as usual the level on knowledge has surpassed my expectation.

Bob_C i may take you up on your offer of more advise

Cheers all

Andy

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Aug. 14 2005,19:59)]Actually it was Ninja first Andee but I'll let you bask in the glory too .
So if I had known you had asked Ninja I would not have sent you details of cards and routers to you when you asked me, there was no point of us both doing it.
tounge.gif

It was around the time you got BT ADSL at home.

I would have suggest the MAC restriction but that tends to be a tad more technical and usually flies over the head of most people.

TPS it was not a dig at you, just stating that Belkin is the cheaper side of the market and not technically as good as Netgear.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Aug. 14 2005,22:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Aug. 14 2005,19:59)]Actually it was Ninja first Andee but I'll let you bask in the glory too .
So if I had known you had asked Ninja I would not have sent you details of cards and routers to you when you asked me, there was no point of us both doing it.  
tounge.gif

I would have suggest the MAC restriction but that tends to be a tad more technical and usually flies over the head of most people.
Was asking you as the dude had told me some but I lost them so I used and abused you
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Aug. 14 2005,22:01)]
[b said:
tounge.gif

TPS it was not a dig at you, just stating that Belkin is the cheaper side of the market and not technically as good as Netgear.
Nah I realise it wasn't a dig. I just like to speak my mind, afterall not everyone has hundreds of quid to spend on wifi, which at the moment is still in a relatively primitive stage.

Would also recommend as essitial (and others on here may say its a bit too technical , but worth it otherwise people will steal your connection). Turn on the wirless security WEP/WPA (data encryption) . The MAC filtering is good to turn on but it can be spoofed a lot easier then people would like to admit. Also alot of home , setup up automatic routers inbuilt security info is stored in a text file or inf on the router itself so make sure you use an admin password for your Router as well (letters and numbers mix preferably not a word !).

If your just using two pcs or more connecting too your router WPA-PSK TKIP is the option you want (www.tomshardware.com done a fantastic articule on settingup and securing your own wireless lan !).

If your runinng windows to make that more secure just install Linux instead :P

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Aug. 14 2005,23:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The 4th man @ Aug. 14 2005,22:29)]Turn on the wirless security WEP/WPA (data encryption) .
That is what my number 1 suggestion was

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1) set up 128bit encryption

That has to be your number one priority.

cool.gif
Hmm not quite theres at least 3 forms of date encryption to choose from and variants (WEP /WPA CCX ) plus you could setup a RADIUS server or just a peer to peer version !

Its worth perciving with as wifi is normal so open (he says typing this on a open but non broadcarst AP !)

Back