• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Will this bring in a new generation of fans?

seany t

President
I remember when i was younger, my first SUFC game (well, the one that I'm old enough to recall) was against Arsenal. They'd just bought loads of foreign stars like Bergkamp and Platt, and I think we lost 1-3, but played our skins off

My Dad, like a lot of people in Southend will have done this last week, probably took me along so that I could see the bigger team rather than the local boys. Yup - meaning that we were exactly the kind of people we've been slagging off on here these last 2 weeks...

But I came away from that game gutted that we lost, hardly able to stand the fellow kids gloating over the Gunners win.

How many kids would have gone to watch their heroes 2 nights ago, only to come away with a new favourite team?

Hopefully, more than just kickstarting our season and being a nice footnote to our centenary year, this is also the start of a whole new breed of local football fans

Southend United - the choice of a new generation?

I spoke to a number of guys that had there young sons with them..... they all told me that they had started bringing there lads down to RH this season to see some of the big clubs that are in the Championship

I don't think Tuesday night's result will have such an impact in the long term. Factors that will really play are part will be the level we're playing at when the stadium is built and the attraction of the stadium itself.

Yeah I tend to agree - guess beating the Reds can't have hurt the fanbase too much though!

Back