• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wimbledon 2022

His serve is dominating, all a bit pointless when you have that sort of power.
Very much so, he needs to make sure he wins his own serving game, Isner is too powerful to return.

Think Murray is starting to lose this set the further it goes on, Murray is getting frustrated with Isner very very calm.

Isner just aced 3 in a row and won his last serve, I've never seen such good a good server before, now 40+ aces in this game.

I thought Murray played well and made some amazing shots..... His legs are gone though, maybe time to retire.

Very much so, he needs to make sure he wins his own serving game, Isner is too powerful to return.
You can see why Isner was part of the longest Wimbledon match ever, his overall game isn't great (which means he won't break often) but his serve is so strong he isn't going to lose many games on his serve.

You can see why Isner was part of the longest Wimbledon match ever, his overall game isn't great (which means he won't break often) but his serve is so strong he isn't going to lose many games on his serve.
Extremely boring to watch though, watching someone ace over and over again is not interesting, it's skillful but it doesn't show quality in tennis, and when there was actually a rally, Isner would likely lose, no wonder why he hasn't won any Grand Slams

Extremely boring to watch though, watching someone ace over and over again is not interesting, it's skillful but it doesn't show quality in tennis, and when there was actually a rally, Isner would likely lose, no wonder why he hasn't won any Grand Slams
You can see why the best and longest rally's were in the 70s, as first serves were more returnable. It was the best time to watch Wimbledon tennis in my opinion. Then the rackets and strings became more powerful. It made front page headlines when Roscoe Tanner did the first 100mph first serve at Wimbledon. Thought to be almost unreturnable at the time. RT was all serve though and not much of an all round game. And when his serve was not performing, he got thrashed. Nowadays, Isner can regularly serve between 140-150mph on grass. His fastest serve is 157.2mph. It doesn't make for a great tennis match at all. It was only watchable because we had a Brit at the other end. There may come a time when they will put a limit on the power of the racket on grass court play, for the sake of the game and the entertainment value. Those with the best technique and power in them will still have the serve advantage, but they will be more returnable, creating more rally's.

You can see why the best and longest rally's were in the 70s, as first serves were more returnable. It was the best time to watch Wimbledon tennis in my opinion. Then the rackets and strings became more powerful. It made front page headlines when Roscoe Tanner did the first 100mph first serve at Wimbledon. Thought to be almost unreturnable at the time. RT was all serve though and not much of an all round game. And when his serve was not performing, he got thrashed. Nowadays, Isner can regularly serve between 140-150mph on grass. His fastest serve is 157.2mph. It doesn't make for a great tennis match at all. It was only watchable because we had a Brit at the other end. There may come a time when they will put a limit on the power of the racket on grass court play, for the sake of the game and the entertainment value. Those with the best technique and power in them will still have the serve advantage, but they will be more returnable, creating more rally's.
I think it was John McEnroe who suggested a simple way to deal with this. He suggested getting rid of 2nd serves. If you know that you lose the point if you miss the serve you'll take a bit off it.

I tend to agree with you, but I'd say it was more the late 80's when wooden rackets were replaced by the more moden lightwieght ones of today...

It is a power game now for sure.....

Reactions: JAL
I tend to agree with you, but I'd say it was more the late 80's when wooden rackets were replaced by the more moden lightwieght ones of today...

It is a power game now for sure.....
The strings got much better and more powerful first the late 70s, then the wooden rackets got replaced by graphite etc, in the 80s. I used to play regularly every summer at the time at Whitehall grass courts with my mates. I got my wooden racket restrung at Chalkwell Sports shop, London Road, in the late 70s with the new powerful strings that had just been launched at the time. It made a massive difference. I of course switched to a graphite racket like most did in the late 80s.

Last edited:
In the 80’s and 90’s Wimbledon was dominated by the big servers such as Boris Becker and Pete Sampras and the serve/volley style of play. I remember it getting dubbed Wimboredom by the media as many found it dull to watch due to the lack of rallies. I’m pretty sure there have been modifications made in the last 15 - 20 years (slower balls and grass) to address this, most tennis at Wimbledon is now dominated at the back of the court. Isner is more of a throwback to the old days, however I thought his serving and overall performance was impressive to watch.

De Minaur is pulling out a masterclass today, Draper is an amazing tennis player but De Minaur is just something else right now.

Great match.

De Minaur s english girlfriend also won and said it was because of her boyfriend ,and how he never gives up ,always will fight to the end

In the 80’s and 90’s Wimbledon was dominated by the big servers such as Boris Becker and Pete Sampras and the serve/volley style of play. I remember it getting dubbed Wimboredom by the media as many found it dull to watch due to the lack of rallies. I’m pretty sure there have been modifications made in the last 15 - 20 years (slower balls and grass) to address this, most tennis at Wimbledon is now dominated at the back of the court. Isner is more of a throwback to the old days, however I thought his serving and overall performance was impressive to watch.
If you look at the courts in the 2nd week you rarely see any worn patches at the net these days compared to previous eras. However, I wouldn't agree that Isner is a throwback - he doesn't really rush the net. He hits a huge serve and then stays back.

Tim Henman was probably the last true serve, volleyer and I remember him complaining to Slazenger one year (they were his racquet sponsor) for supplying lower pressured balls to Wimbledon which reduced his chances.

Reactions: JAL
Well done Heather Watson, through to the fourth round and second week. I was starting to worry after she went 5 games up and (I think 30 love up) in the 6th game and Juvan came back.

Norrie up next and tomorrow Broady and Boulter looking to reach the final 16 for the Brits....

Dare I say it, Watson has a good chance.

Well done Heather Watson, through to the fourth round and second week. I was starting to worry after she went 5 games up and (I think 30 love up) in the 6th game and Juvan came back.

Norrie up next and tomorrow Broady and Boulter looking to reach the final 16 for the Brits....

Dare I say it, Watson has a good chance.
Indeed. There's only one reason why Heather wobbled at the end. It's because I turned it on to watch. Why is that the Brits always falter when I'm watching?

Can we also give an honourable mention to Liam Broady who lost 11 games in a row to go from 6-2 4-4 to 6-2 4-6 0-6 0-3 and then see it out 6-2 4-6 0-6 7-6 6-1.

Amazing turnaround, not to mention fitness.

Can we also give an honourable mention to Liam Broady who lost 11 games in a row to go from 6-2 4-4 to 6-2 4-6 0-6 0-3 and then see it out 6-2 4-6 0-6 7-6 6-1.

Amazing turnaround, not to mention fitness.
Has Di Minaur next, that will be a real test, both of tennis and fitness.

Back