• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Barmy Army

Director
Basically I have a desktop PC which gets very little usage, and a laptop which sees the bulk of the computer usage. I'd like the laptop to be able to access the internet wirelessly, so that I don't have to have a cable linked to it all the time. I'm almost certain the laptop isn't wireless enabled (the whole 802.1bg thing) so this will mean that I'll need a network card (prefer this than have something sticking out of the USB drive all the time) to go along with the router.

To connect to the net I have Wanadoo as my broadband provider. It's a straight line from telephone socket to modem (connected via USB to laptop) job. Not sure if this affects the type of router I need.

So really I just need some advice as to which router is best for my needs and how easy it is to get it all up and running.

Thanks
smile.gif

You will need a wireless router and a wireltss card for your laptop (assuming it is not wireless enabled)

I purchased mine on eBay for 18 quid but they range from 50 quid from most stores.

Does wanadoo force you to use a USB connection to your PC or does your modem have an ethernet port as well?

If you do get one make sure that you activate all of the sucurity features (MAC filtering, encryption etc.) to stop anyone else from connecting to your wireless network.

Also the router username and password will be factory set to defaults. Make sure you change them.

Yep the only way I can connect my modem to my laptop is via the USB port. Thanks for the other info.

Actually to stick my twopenneth in, you can always buy an ADSL modem wifi router which means you can plug the telephone line straight into the router. So no need for the crap usb speed touch.

Look around the t'internet and you should find one that will work. If you are not sure then just drop me a line.

Surprised to see I have your Battrick team in the cup.
cool.gif

My advice, dont get wireless.
biggrin.gif

Takes me at least an hour to connect up to the thing, if not more.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Jan. 23 2006,20:03)]Actually to stick my twopenneth in, you can always buy an ADSL modem wifi router which means you can plug the telephone line straight into the router.  So no need for the crap usb speed touch.

Look around the t'internet and you should find one that will work. If you are not sure then just me a line.

Surprised to see I have your Battrick team in the cup.
cool.gif
Indded you can but I believe they are more expensive than a straight wireless router.

Yes it will be slightly more expensive but I would consider it the best option if you have ADSL and only an USB Modem, I only have a straight WiFi router as I have a cable modem with Ethernet port.

Also make sure you do not broadcast the SSID, it is hard to join a network when you cannot see it.
cool.gif

Back