• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Women Vs Men drivers

Southend_Lady

Ginger Sam
After reading the thread about the twit of a woman driving into the gas mains in Benfleet and the few slightly sexist remarks that followed, it made me think about which of the sexes really is the worse drivers.

Don't get me wrong, Im the first to admit that there are plenty of idiot women drivers out there who are either checking their appearance in the mirrors while driving or are attempting to drive round those god awful 4x4 Jeep/Land Rover type vehicles etc. On the flip side though, there are lots of men who drive like complete *****. Either too fast or driving for "revenge" against the bar steward that cut them up.

I have to admit that while I am a sensible driver (5 years no claims speaks for itself :angel:), I can suffer with terrible road rage and I do often drive a little faster than I should.

That said though, when it comes to insurance its the men that pay more than us women. Surely it can't be solely down to boy racers? The statistics must show that more men cause crashes than women - otherwise I can't see any other reason for this. No lets all be totally honest, you will be judged by your no claims - please add this information to the bottom of your post so that we the SZ public can judge.

statistics must show that more men cause crashes than women - otherwise I can't see any other reason for this

I would think this is largely because men drive so many more miles than women.
Me = 15000 per year, wife = 3000.

Unfotunately having a no claims bonus does not necessarily mean that you are a good driver, rather more that you have never actually hit someone...
For all you know there could be carnage going on hehind you !!

Seriously though , as steveo said its down to mileage.

My wife has had more prangs than me, but that's because she drives more. She's certainly a better driver than I am.

Unfotunately having a no claims bonus does not necessarily mean that you are a good driver, rather more that you have never actually hit someone...
For all you know there could be carnage going on hehind you !!

Seriously though , as steveo said its down to mileage.

Ha - well that's true I guess but you can't be that bad if you have managed to stay out of trouble for a few years!

I can understand the mileage thing that's pretty true and fits in with the "law of averages" and all that.

How many times have you cursed a driver and said "oh for gods sake what is the stupid woman doing" and then got a little closer and realised it was a man! I have to admit even I assume most bad drivers that **** me off are women!

Although the "older" generation of drivers are in steep decline I feel. I know they have every right to be on the roads but I have seen many OAPs driving at snails pace not to mention the ones that think they are exempt from the drink driving law because they are so set in their ways.....

To be honest , my wife is a better driver than me, she has to be ....70 mile a day up and down the A13, you don't last long if you are a poor driver
But I am a better bike rider than her........

I have noticed that women are more likely to be guilty of road rage now as opposed to a few years ago. They seem to be more aggresive nowadays. This can be in both their manner of driving and a reaction to a simple shrug of the shoulders.

Still....I guess the silly old dear who stalled on the Rayleigh Weir the other day and then while faffing about with trying to start it, had not paid attention in that driving lesson entitled "apply the ferkin handbrake you dozey bint". Thankfully I was not directly behind her so she just rolled past me...

I actually think both sexes can be as good or as bad as each other.

another bit of research.....

Although men are three times more likely than women to be killed in car crashes, researchers at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and Public Health in Baltimore, in the US, have found that female drivers are involved in slightly more crashes than men per mile driven. Overall, men were involved in 5.1 crashes per million miles driven compared to 5.7 crashes for women, despite the fact that on average they drove 74 per cent more miles per year than women.

Which would indicate that almost 2 out of three crashes chronologically is a male driver

. . .How many times have you cursed a driver and said "oh for gods sake what is the stupid woman doing" and then got a little closer and realised it was a man! . . .

What if it's a transvestite driving, how would you determine gender then? :)

Imho driving isn't down to gender it's the person, except Londoners. They ALL drive like flippin' muppets.

I have noticed that women are more likely to be guilty of road rage now as opposed to a few years ago.

It's only because there's no direct equivalent to the old Nescafé hand-shake salute that blokes give each other no matter who's in the wrong. Wouldn't seem right doing that to a woman, even if she has almost forced you into a ditch as she reads her OK magazine while painting her nails.

Any driver can make stupid mistakes be they male, female, aged or young however, in my experience young male drivers (and my husband) tend to be more likely to be aggressive and young female drivers tend to be more inconsiderate. Middle aged male van drivers or 4x4 drivers tend to be the prats you see on their mobiles at junctions. I hope I haven't alienated everyone here!

It's only because there's no direct equivalent to the old Nescafé hand-shake salute that blokes give each other no matter who's in the wrong. Wouldn't seem right doing that to a woman, even if she has almost forced you into a ditch as she reads her OK magazine while painting her nails.

We really need to start a national campaign to get a hand signal recognised for the word C***. How satisfying would it be if you could wave this silent obsenity to someone who has just cut you up narrowly missing your wing mirror.

Women on the whole are definitely more cautious and careful drivers. But IMO men are technically better drivers. I am not talking individual cases but if you took 100 men and 100 women and sent them on an advance driving course with skid pans...caravan reversing and loads more i believe that the men would be more successful than the women.

Whether that makes them better drivers i don’t know. It depends what you are basing it on.

Why is it that when you go to a drive through for a take out say, Kentucky or Mcdonalds, most women completley miss the pay checkout and end up reversing back?

Women on the whole are definitely more cautious and careful drivers. But IMO men are technically better drivers. I am not talking individual cases but if you took 100 men and 100 women and sent them on an advance driving course with skid pans...caravan reversing and loads more i believe that the men would be more successful than the women.

Whether that makes them better drivers i don’t know. It depends what you are basing it on.

That's the analytical and peripheral thing though isn't it, men are undoubtedly better at judging gaps, reversing etc I certainly don't dispute that however I find that the most arrogant drivers are invariably men.

Horses for courses and all that, I know I wouldn't enjoy driving the miles my other half drives, and likewise he wouldn't enjoy the constant taxi-ing I have to do.

There's a joke involving the male member that I can't possibly say on a child friendly board but I'm sure you've all heard it before.

Think of it, chuckle, and think "Oh MK, you're such a wag....."

After reading the thread about the twit of a woman driving into the gas mains in Benfleet and the few slightly sexist remarks that followed, it made me think about which of the sexes really is the worse drivers.

Don't get me wrong, Im the first to admit that there are plenty of idiot women drivers out there who are either checking their appearance in the mirrors while driving or are attempting to drive round those god awful 4x4 Jeep/Land Rover type vehicles etc. On the flip side though, there are lots of men who drive like complete *****. Either too fast or driving for "revenge" against the bar steward that cut them up.

I have to admit that while I am a sensible driver (5 years no claims speaks for itself :angel:), I can suffer with terrible road rage and I do often drive a little faster than I should.

That said though, when it comes to insurance its the men that pay more than us women. Surely it can't be solely down to boy racers? The statistics must show that more men cause crashes than women - otherwise I can't see any other reason for this. No lets all be totally honest, you will be judged by your no claims - please add this information to the bottom of your post so that we the SZ public can judge.

Only a woman can come out with something so wrong!!! :)

Fact is, womens insurance is cheaper because companies like Shielas wheels can get away with blatant discrimination. If I set up an insurance company that was not for women, or not for blacks, or some other discriminatory view, I'd get slaughtered.

The other reason is that most womens accidents are probably in supermarket car parks and on the school run, hence at 5mph, whereas men drive on the motorway and other scary roads. Claims would be more expensive, although far less frequent as it is a male driver.

PS 7 years, about 30k a year, no claims that were my fauly, but have had a woman drive into my car in a car park whilst i was parked.

Last edited:
Back