• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Work Experience.

Like Shrimpero, my school days pre-dated "Work Experience". But son Ross got a week at Roots Hall in the office and then the club shop. 1300 mile round trip for work experience - must be some sort of record!

I had the best Work Experience ever! June 2006 working in Bang and Olufsen in Leigh Broadway watching films and then FOOTBALL all day for 2 weeks!! Can't get much better than that.

P.s. We did do a tiny little bit of cleaning aswell :)

Done mine in Estuary Computers in Vic Circus, good bunch of lads, MTV on the TV, Street Fighter arcade machine, borrow games when i wanted, then got offered a Saturday job which was at the height of the Amiga, we were paid a shop bonus based on sales and the Amigas used to fly out the door. I thought i was rich at the time!!!

Never done work experience all that started just after I left school. First proper summer job was working at Peter Pans. Remember working during the original Live Aid, and having to throw drunks out of the Crooked House. I lasted about a month on 70p an hour started at 10am and finishing at 11pm,

I spent three weeks working in the library at Tarpots corner.....

Was a bit tedious at time, bit it was enjoyable.

I was the only one of my class that didn't get any cash out of their work experience, boo to that.

Two mind numbing weeks in 1989 working at Ecko Plastics which was a surprise because I had applied to work in the air traffic control tower at Southend airport.

Didn't even get a backhander unlike many of my mates.

Last edited:
Giltsave on Purdeys Industrial Estate, they were/are a commercial body builders. No health and safety what so ever, in fact the norm was to shoot the pop rivet gun at the work experience lads like myself for entertainment.

We never had work expierence "in my day". It was a case of leaving school and going straight into employment. Although at that time depending on where your birthday fell you could officially leave school earlier than some others

2 weeks at a FSA in London, whom my old man knows. He was the adviser for Bob Holness, unfortunately, never got to meet Bob, but I got a signed photo for my Nan. Got paid 70 nicker a week, which in 1991 was a lot to me.

3 weeks at Countryside Properties. 1st week with the health and safety officers, generally visiting sites and having free meals all day. 2nd and 3rd week with surveyors, generally visiting sites and getting free meals all day. It was ok, I guess.

I'm hoping to get my work experience at a paper, probably the Echo, preferablly in the sports section.

Did mine at old BT Building in Victoria Avenue for the planning department, remember going to a game straight from there which I thought was quite cool.

Remember being on the 8th floor and having the tea trolley come round twice a day :clap:, quite a mixed group of guys and one girl (who as I remember was quite fit, I was only 15 so hormones were racing).

Mainly office work but did go out a few time including to a major road junction in Chelmsford and having to put a pair of boots about 2 sizes too small to go down a ladder and under the junction to look at BT lines.

Last edited:
My work experience was at Bhs Southend in the restaurant, not one of my 3 choices and no use in my future career, it was hard work but i got a saturday job out of it which saw me through 3 years of college before uni.

I did my work experience at Southend Airport back in 1989. Fantastic 2 weeks. Spent couple of days with the Fire Brigade, Refuellers, Flight Planning and Air Traffic Control. Also spent a couple of days working in the Heavylift Hanger. As a thank you i got a flight to Rotterdam (only stayed 30 mins).

I did my work experience at Southend Airport back in 1989. Fantastic 2 weeks. Spent couple of days with the Fire Brigade, Refuellers, Flight Planning and Air Traffic Control. Also spent a couple of days working in the Heavylift Hanger. As a thank you i got a flight to Rotterdam (only stayed 30 mins).

Mad Cyril said:
Two mind numbing weeks in 1989 working at Ecko Plastics which was a surprise because I had applied to work in the air traffic control tower at Southend airport.

Didn't even get a backhander unlike many of my mates.

So I can blame you then?

Again WE was not inplace when I were a lad , but like ACU my son spent two weeks working in the office at RH assisting the Bloke before Scriv,

He then went on to write the match reports (program and website) for a couple of years until he went oop north .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back