• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worst moments as Shrimpers

It was last week for me, going to Halifax and wondering how we somebody managed to rob a goal back in a disgusting display where quality and most disappointingly, the desire and attitude was lacking.

However that has somehow been beaten today. I was expecting a late goal, especially when Brown shut up shop in taking off Jack Bridge, and could only laugh when it happened. I’m disgusted at myself for doing so but that’s what these mugs are doing to me. Just **** off. ?

I think i've hit rock bottom today,i was numb walking out of the ground, nearly 500 Shrimpers couldn't barely witness a shot on target,we deserve better,it's just all very sad.
Was this the correct number of away fans? If so this is a wonderful turn out. and what are they watching. Utter dross. They deserve better that this shambles

Was this the correct number of away fans? If so this is a wonderful turn out. and what are they watching. Utter dross. They deserve better that this shambles
466 of us absolute head cases witnessed that “performance” today. I fear we won’t be so well supported for much longer with the way we’re going.

Carlisle away sometime in the early 90s. We were going around shipping 4 goals each week - I think we managed 5 at Carlisle. I think it was under Alvin Martin. I remember being more disillusioned with the team then than I am now (because generally now I think they try).

Bloody hell that was a long game lol
...and we still kept taking short corners!
Bloody right. Such a disappointing day, losing like that in the ****ing down of rain and the coach journey back will haunt me for the rest of my life. Seemed to last for years and I was stuck next to a radiator sweating my arse off for five to six hours all the way home to RH as I remember. ?
At least you're not moaning about it.

Carlisle away sometime in the early 90s. We were going around shipping 4 goals each week - I think we managed 5 at Carlisle. I think it was under Alvin Martin. I remember being more disillusioned with the team then than I am now (because generally now I think they try).
Your memory plays tricks on you with time. A) It was the late 90s. B) It's far worse now!

I suppose it could be worse ...... but not much

Waiting for my when I got back from the match yesterday was the Southend v Bradford City prog of 1958. I've obtained it from eBay to send it on as a SUEPA thing to Alan Dicks as a surprise, one of our oldest SUEPA members, as a momento of his first game as a Shrimper.

Anyway, a scan thro it led me to the back page tables and in the current climate the question 'who is currently in a better position than us of the teams shown?'

Well, the answer becomes more straightforward if you re-phrase it to identify those worse off now, and the answer is not many. OK, Accrington blew up, but have re-formed and are now bobbling along ok, and some of the others have had a few hairy moments over the past few decades, but currently it's just three.

Bury certainly are in a dire state, and perhaps for those that think we'd be better off going kaput and re-forming they might make you think again.

Aldershot are a point below us in the NL, but they of course beat us last week and by next weekend we might be able to strike them off this short list

So that just leaves Bexleyheath, and their position (only in the SE Counties League) ultimately fell away and as far as I can tell the club (which got as high as the Southern League (so the NL now) folded as Bexley United in 1976 tho there is a team under the Bexleyheath name with a Twitter account who have the strapline "Ragtag football team full of heroes. We have a laugh, but will put our bodies on the line for each other."

I'd better get this posted, not sure it's doing me any good

20210919_082407.jpg

I suppose it could be worse ...... but not much

Waiting for my when I got back from the match yesterday was the Southend v Bradford City prog of 1958. I've obtained it from eBay to send it on as a SUEPA thing to Alan Dicks as a surprise, one of our oldest SUEPA members, as a momento of his first game as a Shrimper.

Anyway, a scan thro it led me to the back page tables and in the current climate the question 'who is currently in a better position than us of the teams shown?'

Well, the answer becomes more straightforward if you re-phrase it to identify those worse off now, and the answer is not many. OK, Accrington blew up, but have re-formed and are now bobbling along ok, and some of the others have had a few hairy moments over the past few decades, but currently it's just three.

Bury certainly are in a dire state, and perhaps for those that think we'd be better off going kaput and re-forming they might make you think again.

Aldershot are a point below us in the NL, but they of course beat us last week and by next weekend we might be able to strike them off this short list

So that just leaves Bexleyheath, and their position (only in the SE Counties League) ultimately fell away and as far as I can tell the club (which got as high as the Southern League (so the NL now) folded as Bexley United in 1976 tho there is a team under the Bexleyheath name with a Twitter account who have the strapline "Ragtag football team full of heroes. We have a laugh, but will put our bodies on the line for each other."

View attachment 16778
The South East Counties League in those days was youth matches played at Priory Park so not really worth including in comparisons. So there is only ONE team in that division of 63 years ago that is in a more parlous state than us at the moment.

Their full name at that time was Bexleyheath and Welling. Bexley United have gone but their ground lives on, much improved obviously, as the home of Welling United.

There have been so many of them over the last 2+ years, I do not know were to being. or more importantly when it will end, we could end up with 3 relegations on the trot.

Back