• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Would you delay renewing next season?

Are you delaying renewal of your season card for the 2023/2024 season?

• Total voters
One of the things people demanded was an exit strategy from RM. Surely, this is it?

Has this news changed anyone who was delaying their season ticket mind at all?
Yep, a sale was never going to be overnight. But the process has been started. This was a necessary step and I now feel more comfortable renewing.

One of the things people demanded was an exit strategy from RM. Surely, this is it?

It certainly is news we wanted to hear and to go national, its clearly an intention which is a positive. Tbh I think it answers many of our questions.

Where is the working capital? Its run out.
Will Kev have the support next season or more embargos? Under the current ownership that's clear .... more embargos until investment comes in.

Will all the staff be paid? Nothing has changed.

The point of delaying season card payment was to make him come out and speak and clear up the current situation after the March 1st hearing to HMRC where he has been silent. Without RM explaining in depth the financial situation, he's admitted the money has run out. The point of delay was not to get him out, only a new investor would do that, but to provide transparency. However, we potentially have both so its very positive news.

He suggested that withholding season card payment is not helping and not played a part in his decision. Personally I think that's boll###s like he always talks. Of course it contributes because he knows as an owner, with fans delaying season card payment, it's an embarrassing situation and makes his position untenable.

However, one thing is clear. His intention is now to get out. We want a team next season, and it's still going to be difficult financially until the day he goes, so it's probably the right thing to do to get buying season cards again.

We now need to forget Ron and move forwards. Support Tom and the club, and the team.
One thing we must do though, is learn from our mistakes, and ensure there is a cultural change with new owners. There absolutely has to be trust and engagement between the fans and the owners and a healthy relationship from day one.

We need to also learn that although Ron may move on, the clubs position isn't solely down to him. The directors are equally responsible for allowing such a man to mislead the club and act the way he has for many years, insulting fans, and acting financially irresponsible, whilst allowing years of appalling decisions to take place. There needs to be a fresh board because they are equally accountable and should be targeted next to step away.

Fresh strategy, fresh culture, fresh start.

Last edited:

Not really. For all we know, hes asking a stupid price for it knowing no-one will touch it. If we get some traction and genuinely interested parties, then maybe. Will continue to hold off for now in line with the Supporters groups wishes.

Not really. For all we know, hes asking a stupid price for it knowing no-one will touch it. If we get some traction and genuinely interested parties, then maybe. Will continue to hold off for now in line with the Supporters groups wishes.
To be fair, I don't think he would be contracting a major sports agency if he wasn't serious. The sum he is demanding will have to represent something that the agency could realistically sell to someone.

No embargo news
No staff pay news

So lets all pay up quick ??

Belly tickle time?

****ing hell Barry have a day off.

The bloke who 99 percent of people want gone, called a press conference and invited media to basically tell them that he's going.

Get a ticket or dont.

But you have to enjoy days like these. This was the best news the fan base have had in years.

Could really do with an update from the combined supporters groups now (@Shrimperstrust et al). What do you want us to do on S/Ts now chaps? As it stands I'm going to hold off until the last day of 'Early Bird' to see what now develops unless advised otherwise.

Later, just seen the Trust statement which answers my questions for the moment, thanks @Smiffy.

Last edited:
I will wait and see if the Trust and others get their meeting with Ron next week and what they get out of him if it does happen. Ron seemed to be hoping that what he'd announced today would make the meeting unnecessary whereas it's made it even more important than ever. How is he going to ensure there's still a club to sell?

I will wait and see if the Trust and others get their meeting with Ron next week and what they get out of him if it does happen. Ron seemed to be hoping that what he'd announced today would make the meeting unnecessary whereas it's made it even more important than ever. How is he going to ensure there's still a club to sell?
Exactly. What a rat hiding from his duty as Chairman..

I never said we should be making a profit! Do you really think that £300k is spent every year on Roots Hall? FFS! I could do a better job as a handy man for £100k a year doing stuff full time, and I am not a handy man!

Yes we get other income, and have other expenses, but the club is so badly run that there are expenses that are wasteful. How much have we paid over the years on solicitors, fines, interest on late payments, legal fees. Probably runs into 7 figures.

I did say that my maths were rough, and yes I know that not all ticket prices are at full price, but neither are the other clubs.

Yuu even say our shortfall is £2m a year, and other clubs, with possibly £1m-£2m less revenue have owners putting in £1m

That means we are spending at least £2m a season more than them? How, what on?
Well if £300k isn’t spent you are saying Tom is not telling the truth. I believe Tom. From what I posted on real numbers re clubs operational and net profits/losses you will see there appears to be limited correlation between attendances and financial performance.

These are the facts- you are effectively asking why, and specifically why in our case. I answered that too but to be far that is conjecture also.

Not personally. I'll get one when I see the day RM has officially sold the club.
The positive is if on card the club doesn’t get the money up front anyway, plus you will be contributing an extra £40 to the cause.

Well if £300k isn’t spent you are saying Tom is not telling the truth. I believe Tom.
Did he definitely say that £300k is needed every year to get the ground a safety certificate? Or did he say £300k worth of works was needed to get its safety certificate that particular year, and it's now taken on a life of its own whereby the narrative is that a set £300k is needed every year?

Did he definitely say that £300k is needed every year to get the ground a safety certificate? Or did he say £300k worth of works was needed to get its safety certificate that particular year, and it's now taken on a life of its own whereby the narrative is that a set £300k is needed every year?
I’m sure it was actual costs. Unfortunately due to covid I think it was worse because some aspects were delayed and came together. And it not a cost that is avoidable- it can’t be needed yet somehow not done. No certificate stand/stands closed..

I’m sure it was actual costs. Unfortunately due to covid I think it was worse because some aspects were delayed and came together. And it not a cost that is avoidable- it can’t be needed yet somehow not done. No certificate stand/stands closed..
Oh yeah, not denying any of that. Nor that Roots Hall needs money spending on it this season. I just have a recollection of the £300k figure being taken as a set amount every year, when in reality it might have been £300k needed to be spent that particular season to fix the issues that were preventing the safety certificate from being signed off.

Bump. Be interesting to see....

Has your view changed after the Supporters Group Q&A with Ron & Tom?

Are you now going to buy a season card?

Or have the answers given put you off?

Back