• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

hexagon_sun

Manager
Over the last few weeks Xfm have had a totally open vote to get a shortlist of 5 bands/artists to head up their first ever 'hall of fame' type of event. The suggestion was to vote for the 1 band/artist you think has shaped the music that sums up the station (modern alternative music, in other words). This is said shortlist (with Xfm's own comments);

* The Clash - Punk legends and inspiration for generations of bands.
* Muse - The scale, the ambition, the live shows, the guitar solos!
* Nirvana - The genius group who dragged alternative rock into the mainstream.
* Oasis - Liam and Noel, heroes of Britpop and beyond.
* Radiohead - The most musically innovative group of the decade.

I had Radiohead and Nirvana on my own shortlist but am mystified by the others.

The Clash - an OK band although I'm not a fan and didn't realise they were so popular among the kids these days that they could edge out the likes of The Beatles and The Smiths (who's presence on these lists is usually de rigueur).

Oasis - never liked them and every fan I've ever met can't justify them continuing beyond album #3. Even if "Definitely Maybe" was as good as Noel seems to think, all the toss they've peddled since must surely count against it tenfold?

Muse -
wow.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

This is supposed to represent the true indie legends and alternative innovators without whom Xfm wouldn't exist so where's Pixies, Joy Division, The Smiths, The Ramones, The Velvet Underground, Talking Heads, The Stooges? Crap.

My thoughts exactly MtS, and to have both bands on the shortlist just makes it more ridiculous. How can Muse be seen as innovators when everything they do is borrowed from early Radiohead (and done only half as well)?

I always thought that Muse were more like early Radiohead mixed with early Iron Maiden. I've always rather liked them, but I wouldn't call them innovative or ground-breaking.

I'd stick Billy Bragg in the mix as an example of home-grown talent. Some think of him merely as the Essex Bob Dylan, but I think he's got mre than that.

Also Leftfield made the ultimate album for listening to while you take stacks of Class As, they should certainly get a mention.

And, while I'm here, how about the Small Faces for influencing Blur/Kaiser Chiefs etc etc?

www.invictus.softmeg.com Any online vote will see this forum get Muse in it - once the whole band were voted in an individual best drummer/guitarist etc contest. Anyway, they're the best live band around. Just wait til their next album for the innovative side
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elmo putney @ May 24 2006,21:40)]oasis
stone roses
the smiths
the jam
and my favourite all time band james
When we were at school you always had a soft spot for Erasure and the Pet shop boys, as well as a Freddy Mercury lives on poster on your bedroom wall JC.

for me i'd vote for the pistols, nirvana, pixies, stone roses and radiohead

I've been thinking long and hard about this and IMO, these 5 bands are most directly responsible for shaping our current landscape of alternative music;

(in chronological order):

The Velvet Underground
The Ramones
Joy Division
Pixies
The Stone Roses

So that means that the rock 'n' roll epicentres of this planet are New York, Manchester and er... Boston, MA
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ May 24 2006,17:39)]Also Leftfield made the ultimate album for listening to while you take stacks of Class As, they should certainly get a mention.
laugh.gif
- Very true. If we're going down the dance music route then The Prodigy also deserve an honourable mention - it might sound a bit dated now but early Prodigy stuff was hugely innovative. I don't really go in for Liam Howlett being the Jimi Hendrix of the Chemical Generation but besides bagging himself an All-Saint, I don't think he got the recognition he deserved.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smudger @ May 25 2006,14:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ May 24 2006,17:39)]Also Leftfield made the ultimate album for listening to while you take stacks of Class As, they should certainly get a mention.
laugh.gif
- Very true. If we're going down the dance music route then The Prodigy also deserve an honourable mention - it might sound a bit dated now but early Prodigy stuff was hugely innovative. I don't really go in for Liam Howlett being the Jimi Hendrix of the Chemical Generation but besides bagging himself an All-Saint, I don't think he got the recognition he deserved.....
I watched the Prodigy live in Sao Paulo last week actually and they were superb and the best of a half decent line up at Skol Beats, which is like the Creamfields of Latim America.

Very class act indeed who haven't lost any of their style either.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ May 24 2006,17:39)]I'd stick Billy Bragg in the mix as an example of home-grown talent. Some think of him merely as the Essex Bob Dylan, but I think he's got mre than that.
Merely the Essex Bob Dylan? I wouldn't have thought Billy (who I'm a big fan of) would think being mentioned in comparison with Dylan would ever be a backhanded compliment but a huge honour.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sao Paulo Shrimper @ May 24 2006,21:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (elmo putney @ May 24 2006,21:40)]oasis
stone roses
the smiths
the jam
and my favourite all time band james
When we were at school you always had a soft spot for Erasure and the Pet shop boys, as well as a Freddy Mercury lives on poster on your bedroom wall JC.
Which reminds me do you want your cd's back now rusty ? apoligies in advance for scratching the right said fred cd case,i know 'deeply dippy' holds some special memories for you ,not least because it was yours and justin's song...rest assured i will try and send you another copy out.

Back