• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Irate Ian

Members
Q1. Who [names of all consortia members] or what corporation [and names of their shareholders] are the beneficial owners of the land on which the Fossetts development is proposed.

A1. The immediate parent company of Southend United Football Club Ltd is South Eastern Leisure (UK) Ltd, of which I, via my corporate ownership, am a 100% share holder. There are no “consortia members”. It took Delancey and myself a while to come to terms for me to acquire their 50% interest in the parent company and I am in no hurry to re-enter into a joint venture! The beneficial owners of the Fossetts Farm development are me and my immediate family.

Q2. In consideration for the release of restrictive covenant of use of land at Roots Hall now or previously, what if any long term security of tenure are SUFC to be granted at the proposed new stadia and by what vehicle or deed.

A2. I do not know what you mean by “release of restrictive covenant of use of land at Roots Hall”. The restrictive covenants recited in the title are not enforceable and in any event as a quid pro quo the entire proposal is structured on the development of the New Stadium. The Club will not be moving from Roots Hall until the new stadiums is complete and fit for football.

Q3. What terms of lease and anticipated rent is to be payable [and to whom] by SUFC at Fossetts. Also what termly rent reviews are proposed.

A3. The Club currently benefits from a short term lease at Roots Hall and which has been renewed at least twice. The rent was de-capped to represent 10% of the initial investment at the time i.e. £4m – to prevent an almost certain administration – providing for an annual rent of £400,000. As you will know the Club has not paid one penny in rent in respect of Roots Hall and in very recent years I have written off some £2.8m in rent arrears so as to improve the Club’s balance sheet. Furthermore it is not my intention to charge the Club any rent while it remains here at Roots Hall.

Under the terms of the new stadium a lease in precisely the same format will exist for the benefit of the Club at the new stadium but for a longer term to ensure the security of tenure that you allude to. There will be a Stadium Operating Company which will collect all the rental income from the stadium development and redistribute this, including for the benefit of the Club. This will underpin its gate receipts and, we anticipate, give the Club an edge over its competitors. As to whether any rent will be paid or accrued will largely depend on the Club’s success - but in any event it is intended that there will be quarterly reviews, as indeed is the case at present.

Q3a Does Ron feel that because of his possible need to maximise profits from the development, that he has any possible conflict of interest with the needs of SUFC to remain solvent during its use and occupation of the stadium.

A3a. I do not feel there is a need to maximise profits from the development. If this were the objective then I would not be building a 22,000 seater stadium of such high specification. Colchester Stadium cost £14m, some £30, less than that estimated to complete what will be an iconic building for SUFC to thrive and succeed.

Even now there are supporters who suggest we could compete in the Championship from a stadium of 15,000 seats. If I were to take that “advice” I could save a minimum of £14m in construction costs. Similarly there is no need to include a hotel at a further cost of £10m. Therefore if I was seeking to maximise property profits (if such a thing still exists!) there would have been many opportunities to do so.

Q3b If the immediate landlord sells the freehold, will any provision for SUFC being protrected against eviction be envisaged.

A3b. If the freehold of the stadium were to be sold at some future date SUFC would be protected by the terms of its lease. I would never leave it in a position to risk “eviction”. I regard that comment/question as a strange observation when the entire purpose of this exercise is to bring success to the Club so that it can maximise its potential and compete in the upper echelons of the Championship. It is certainly not designed to see the Club fail.

Q3c In the event of SUFC Ltd entering any form of Insolvency, will the football team trading under the name of Southend United be given first refusal to continue use and occupation under identical terms as SUFC Ltd under the proposed Lease or Trust Deed so that perpetual occupation by any re-incarnation of Southend United only be first assured ?

A3c. As I say above, the purpose of this structure is to underpin the Club’s financial security. However I am not a prophet; I cannot predict what the ultimate future may hold save I am creating a framework to secure the Club’s future and tenure. In reality very few clubs go out of business and if there were future financial problems for the Club I would suggest the Club and its new home – which we are in the throes of creating – will be a very attractive investment to any would-be buyer.

Q4. Who will be [a] the immediate and the residual landlord.

A4. The immediate landlord would be the Stadium Operating Company. I have not yet thought of a name for that entity (SOC is halfway there!) but I will be represented on the Board along with others who have Southend United Football Club’s interests at heart. By “residual landlord” you may mean ultimate and, of course, here again this would fall under the umbrella of beneficial ownership as in 1 above.

Q5. Will there be a right of forfeiture of lease for faliure to pay rent on a timely basis or other covenants.

A5. All institutional leases have the right of forfeiture, as does the lease the Club holds at present. As I say above, over the past nine years the Club has paid no rent at Roots Hall and there has been no question as to its right to occupy. The lease structure will be the same (again as I say above) at the new stadium and there will be no restrictive covenants to undermine the Club’s interests.

Q6. Will SUFC have sole use of the stadium and capability to derive benefit of income from other permitted uses.

A6. SUFC will not have sole use of the stadium as the west stand will be occupied by a number of parties including a hotel and other ancillary uses such as offices, all of which will provide an income to the benefit of the stadium operating company which can then flow, as directed by that Board, to the benefit of the Football Club as appropriate. Additionally under the current approval there is also the right to hold concerts on limited occasions throughout the year. If I were able to include – subject to the Council’s approval – an arena as part of the stadium structure (encompassing the west stand seating and facilities) this would have enormous synergy providing still further income for the operating company and Football Club. I am currently undertaking a feasibility study in this connection. If this proves viable and consent is forthcoming then this phase of construction would be integrated within the programme.

Q7. What other uses are envisaged.

A7. See 6 above

Q8. Does RM envisage SUFC being capable of meeting payment of rent based upon the projected operating costs of SUFC at the new stadium.

A8. The answer is yes, but as I say in 3 above whether the rent is paid or written off will be a matter for the stadium operating company and will be determined entirely by the success of the Club. Which, of course, is pivotal to this entire exercise.

Go next to Page 4 of this thread
for Replies to Questions 9 - 15 inc

Last edited:
Am I the only one who gets irritated by the poor sentence structure in most of II's posts? It is almost as bad as text talk... doing my head in!!

Am only one irritated re poor sentence structure vis II posts? - text talk (translation for II)

Await reply!

:tumbleweed: :D

Please ask him where he gets his hair cut, its great! :dim:

Irate Ian, where the hell did you get these questions from and how did you think them up - they terrified me somewhat!

3rd Up Date

I make no apology for re-posting these questions, first raised in thread "Ron Martin - Questions" dated 24.2.08 and which I will be meeting RM upon at 19.30 on this historic day at RH.

I will seek to post replies as early as possible to SZ, even if that means working through much if not all the night.

1. Who [names of all consortia members] or what corporation [and names of their shareholders] are the beneficial owners of the land on which the Fossetts development is proposed.

2. In consideration for the release of restrictive covenant of use of land at Roots Hall now or previously, what if any long term security of tenure are SUFC to be granted at the proposed new stadia and by what vehicle or deed.

3. What terms of lease and anticipated rent is to be payable [and to whom] by SUFC at Fossetts. Also what termly rent reviews are proposed.

3a Does Ron feel that because of his possible need to maximise profits from the development, that he has any possible conflict of interest with the needs of SUFC to remain solvent during its use and occupation of the stadium.

3b If the immediate landlord sells the freehold, will any provision for SUFC being protrected against eviction be envisaged.

3c In the event of SUFC Ltd entering any form of Insolvency, will the football team trading under the name of Southend United be given first refusal to continue use and occupation under identical terms as SUFC Ltd under the proposed Lease or Trust Deed so that perpetual occupation by any re-incarnation of Southend United only be first assured ?

4. Who will be [a] the immediate and the residual landlord.

5. Will there be a right of forfeiture of lease for faliure to pay rent on a timely basis or other covenants.

6. Will SUFC have sole use of the stadium and capability to derive benefit of income from other permitted uses.

7. What other uses are envisaged.

8. Does RM envisage SUFC being capable of meeting payment of rent based upon the projected operating costs of SUFC at the new stadium.

9. What are the projected financials viz can the club sustain to trade with the overheads that are anticipated.

9a Do the financials assume higher level of average gate, if so what average number?

9b How was this number estimated and what if any market research may have been undertaken and will this be published, if so, when.

9c Has Ron considered raising capital by SUFC from its supporters by other than purchase of shares; for the advance purchase of season cards for [a] more than one year life [c] perpetual [in form of some type of foundation debenture purchase as with the Royal Albert Hall]

10 What liabilites are presently subsisting to the owners of Roots Hall by SUFC in respect of [a] rent service charges or other liability.

11 What is to be done concerning these liabilities if the development proceeds.

12 What if any pre-conditions are anticipated for advance purchase of season cards for above 1 year.

13 Will any purchase include all/or any events taking place at the stadium.

14 If not, will season card holders be afforded first refusal on other than football events in "their" seats.

15 What other information can Ron disclose to supporters that will serve to enable a greater understanding of the proposed legacy he anticipates bestowing upon SUFC in return for the club being the vehicle by which his or other development companies can ultimately re-develop the site of Roots Hall.

If any Shrimperzone members have any additional questions, would they contact John and please publish.

Await with interest Rons thoughts and comments.

Southend Utd 1st and last.

Up- Date: 7 March 2008

The reason I made no apology for re-posting is [1] the questions had pre-empted a yes decision and had [IMO] taken on greater relevence after yesterdays momentous planning announcement and [2] avoidance of criticism as to replication of the earlier thread.

Met RM at RH 19.40 - 21.10; Thurs 6 March 2008 together with The Flying Scotsman and my son [apologies to his P.A. & security officer for their late finish] on what was a momentous day in the history of our beloved club.

Also the culmination of years of hard work for RM and his team. Now the work really begins.....

His victory should not be under-estmimated and as caring supporters, we made him fully aware of our appreciation for his efforts at the head of the operation.

Ron was understandably shattered at the end of this brilliant news day and recovering from some nasty virus [hope does not pass through to the team during 1/2 time in the dressing room].

Ron will respond to each of the questions by email in the course of the next few days and I have agreed to post his replies in full for the benefit of all SZ members.

The fact that he was prepared to meet us at all, rather than simply reply in writing, or ignore the questions, is testiment to his hands on style/approach and his willingness to provide open responses.

I am satisfied from [1] our business like conversations [2] past and future football chatter/talk in genreral [which was equally illuminating - will not betray his confidences]; that the club are as secure as they can be under his leadership and the way forward is: Up.

We thanked him for his time and look forward to posting/forwarding of RM's detailed responses in the near future.

Flying Scotsman may well post replies relevent to his management of SZFC

Fair to report that RM can also be irate.

I believe that our meeting was however constructive and cleared up for me a number of basic uncertainties.

Ron's determination and single mindedness on all things football related, was very evident. He has his finger on the pulse, in minute detail, for sure.

The team and the stadium continuing to develop is a massive challenge, but one which I BELIEVE he and Tilly/Brush, will together achieve.

Ian W

3rd Up date: 19 March [2nd below]

RM did email me privately yesterday to confirm that he anticipates being in a position to reply to the listed questions by circa end of the week following the long Easter vacation weekend.

Footballing matters, are , I agree much more important at the business end of the season.

Did have the audacity to ask another - concerning our North Bank, being returned to home supporters for next two seasons. Hopefully we may have news sooner on that one, if possible.

Ian W.

4th Update: Thurs 3 April 2008

No news. All has gone quiet, I will email RM in next few days to seek indication of his anticipated response.

5th Update: Sat 3 May 2008

Until the priorities of the football season and the play-offs are over the questions will remain on the back burner.

6th Update: Monday 25 August 2008

No response to the promised replies. Suggest Shareholders might raise Agenda items for the next AGM to lodge with Secretary, if they are at all concerned to learn response to any of the questions.

Additional Questions:-

16. Would the current owners be prepared to offer within the proposed lease, either:-

[a] Time limited option to buy the stadium at a fixed and index linked or interest bearing price, [once the final building costs are known] in favour of The Supporters Trust or similar body of supporters.

First refusal to buy the stadium, once built, if at any time in the future they were to consider pulling out/selling ?

and

17. Has it been considered to seek to raise the capital cost of building through supporters viz: Is it possible that £8000 x 10,000 [or other increments] could be raised through supporters and local companies & or public bodies to fund £80M to loan to the current owners/developers to build the arena or some other form of private/public partnership basis ?

Last edited:
I am satisfied from [1] our business like conversations [2] past and future football chatter/talk in genreral [which was equally illuminating - will not betray his confidences]; that the club are as secure as they can be under his leadership and the way forward is: Up.

Im really pleased that after meeting im you actually make a statement like that.

I assumed you were going to go in there and whatever he said still come out distrusting him.

It appears he has convinced you that what many of us believe is true that he is a chairman we are lucky to have and hopefully your feedback will reassure other doubters.

After yesterday we are certainly on the up.

Lots of work to do to make sure we dont end up with 7,000 in a 22,000 seater but all signs are good and its an exciting time!

2nd Update

Im really pleased that after meeting im you actually make a statement like that.

I assumed you were going to go in there and whatever he said still come out distrusting him.

It appears he has convinced you that what many of us believe is true that he is a chairman we are lucky to have and hopefully your feedback will reassure other doubters.

After yesterday we are certainly on the up.

Lots of work to do to make sure we dont end up with 7,000 in a 22,000 seater but all signs are good and its an exciting time!

I suppose I could also have said [and the "rent not demanded" figures cannot be denied] that Ron Martin probably has the most expensive season card of all us supporters !

In addition the favourable Planning Decision has [IMO] asssisted to remove doubt as to the immediate future for SUFC, it is now the long term we can all begin to plan for.

He did mention that statistics indicate an increase on average of about 40% on gate receipts at new stadia [initially] so anything over [and the retaining of the newbies support will in itself be a challenge].

Ian W.

3rd Up Date: 19 March 2008

RM did email me privately yesterday to confirm that he anticipates being in a position to reply to the listed questions by circa end of the week following the long Easter vacation weekend.

Footballing matters, are , I agree much more important at the business end of the season.

Did have the audacity to ask another - concerning our North Bank, being returned to home supporters for next two seasons. Hopefully we may have news sooner on that one, if possible.

4th Update: Thurs 3 April 2008

No news. All has gone quiet, I will email RM in next few days to seek indication of his anticipated response.

5th Update: Sat 3 May 2008

Until the priorities of the football season and the play-offs are over the questions will remain on the back burner.

Last edited:
Great to Meet

well thats not very irate is it? seriously though it must have been great to meet up with him on such a day

Yes, I would say that it will be a life long memory. Hope that all true supporters live long enough to see the new ground - it will truly be a centre of excellence for all concerned.

If Jenervive views SZ [sorry if wrongly spelt] apologies that you may have been late home [08.00 - 21.00 is a very long day for anyone - exc. travelling].

Thanks for the coffee also, I will have a think about how we can make up for your overtime.

Ian W.

Whilst I don't understand where you are coming from on some of your questions - those that relate to possible alternative uses of the new stadium other than SUFC - many of them seem very pertinent and of interest to all SUFC supporters.
So really pleased to see you have come away from meeting with positive impression and look forward to seeing the answers from RM on here.
A good day all round, to say the least!, for all SUFC fans.

Yes, I would say that it will be a life long memory. Hope that all true supporters live long enough to see the new ground - it will truly be a centre of excellence for all concerned.

If Jenervive views SZ [sorry if wrongly spelt] apologies that you may have been late home [08.00 - 21.00 is a very long day for anyone - exc. travelling].

Thanks for the coffee also, I will have a think about how we can make up for your overtime.

Ian W.
Pray tell me what is a true supporter

A True Supporter

A very good question, which I will attmept to answer:-

Maybe a person who has stood the test of time over a long period of years through good, bad and indifferent circumstances ?

Maybe a person who is forever optimitistic for the club he/she supports ?

Maybe a person who is not quick to criticise in adversity ?

Maybe a lot of things I cannot now think of at the end of an exhausting week ?

Maybe the greater good of the club he/she supports given over-riding importance than compared with any single individual member of the club.

Maybe a loyal supporter would have been a better desrciption.

What do you think ?

Bad Hair Day

Please ask him where he gets his hair cut, its great! :dim:

Irate Ian, where the hell did you get these questions from and how did you think them up - they terrified me somewhat!

The icon is better than the real hair and much thicker !

Some of the questions have been on my mind for best part of 17-18 months. Ron knows that I whilst I voiced full support for the development by letter I also placed my principal concern [the securing of SUFC to have sole football playing rights at the proposed new stadium] to the Planning Inspectorate.

Don't be terrified - it is part and parcel of normal football club business these days. Buisiness is Business no more or less than that.

I wish I could have put it in so few words

The opposite of a false supporter. :stunned:

:tumbleweed:

Sorry could not resist this new style of posting that is appearing all over t'Zone at the mo!!

Superbly put Sir, but I feel the question demanded some clarification on my personal take of my interpretation of the 2 little words.

It is Saturday already and I am sure that it is going to be a special afternoon at The Hall.

A True Supporter

Maybe......... Refer to Blues News, March Edition:-

[1] Page 10, "following the football ticket revolution" penultimate para.

[2] Back Page: "Tribute to True Blues Legend".

Back