• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Your best all time SUFC 11?

Yes.
Some of you will have seen my answer years ago but there hasn’t been many extra candidates for a long time now,so here goes : (all also played for higher level teams)...4-3

M Cawston

D Austin
P Watson
A Moody
C Powell

M Marsh
K Jones
R Whelan

S Collymore
E Firmani
F Eastwood

And any of these would make it a formidable subs bench :

J Burridge
A Federici
J Neal
D Cusack
P Clarke
S Prior
R Leonard
E Crossan
B Mohsni
B Kellard
S McCrory
B Best
P Taylor
B Garner
R Cadette
I like your confidence in big Merv in goal. I thought he was great tbh

Daryl Flahaven
Andy ansah
Adam Barrett
Spencer prior
Stephen hammel
Kevin maher
Junior stanislas
Dorian dervite
Charlie mulgrew
Freddy Eastwood
Stan collymore

Daryl flahaven dean austin chris powell mark gower andy ansah peter butler freddy eastwood brett Angel stan collymore dave cusack paul clark

Yes indeed—I felt honoured when I played against him in the Vets League.
If my two loanee keepers don’t count, Trevor Roberts and Paul Sansome we’re both extremely good.
When he played vets was he still in goal?
Great keeper and often saw him about on a sunday morning but never knew if he was between the sticks.

Every time I think I’ve picked an eleven I see someone else’s post which reminds me of someone I’ve forgotten and can’t leave out! To be honest I keep changing my keeper so this could take me a while!

Great thread though ?
Same for me mate!
certain positions I couldn't pick like centre half/centre mid as to many to choose and hard to leave out others!
Have to agree great thread and gets you thinking.

G Flahaven a tad out of his league in Championship but what a shot stopper his display against Ronaldo out of this world.

RB Francis his career away from Roots says it all shame it was not with us.
CD Cusack great central defender solid!
CD Barrett not as cultured as many others but bled shrimper blood what can you say
LB Powell no contest

CM Maher (Captain) from the crab like pass master of Rob Newman's hoofball team, his style changed to a very forward positive thinking midfielder under Brush/Tilson era.

CM Butler always looked forward and his chips to Benji were first class

ML Gower although he could be frustrating one game, the next he would be out of this world, scored some very memorable goals out of nowhere too, goals that turned a defeat into a victory.

FW Gray unsung hero and scored the goal that won us League One, Eastwood could never have had a better wing man.

FW Eastwood no contest

FW Collymore Only here for a short time but what a time. Really should have been in Euro 96 and if he had been given the games for England we would be talking about a Southend player on the International stage.

Subs
D Bentley, Clark, Austin, Ansah, Garner, Angell, Hal Robson Kanu

Yes indeed—I felt honoured when I played against him in the Vets League.
If my two loanee keepers don’t count, Trevor Roberts and Paul Sansome we’re both extremely good.
I felt honoured when I took a penalty against him at Bournemouth Park school:Goal:

S Royce

D Austin
S Prior
P Clark
C Powell

M Gower
R Whelan
M Marsh
R Otto

S Collymore
F Eastwood

Honorable mentions to Flavs, Adam Barrett, King Kev Maher, Dave Martin, Peter Butler, Ryan Leonard, Tilly, Bretty Angell, Benji - I could go on….

Last edited:
GK: Daryl Flahaven
DR: Dave McSweeney
DC: Phil Whelan
DC: Josh Coulson
DL: Justin Edinburgh
MR: Tony Richards
MC: Josh Wright
MC: Anyone except Carl Hutchings
ML: Ricky Otto
SC: Jabo
SC: Drewe Broughton (Sub: Tes Bramble ‘69)

Manager: Harry Redknapp
Offside: David Mooney

Back