• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Your top soooooooooooul grooves!

Haven't we got a bit of a crossover here? I mean, I'm sure some of those towards the bottom of page 1 could equally be classified in the disco thread of the other week, plus what IS the difference between Motown, disco and soul? I find it really hard to stick with specific genres, I either like something or I don't.
Reading back on your post, I certainly am very middle of the road when it comes to music, motown, soul, jazzfunk, soul, ska and the only way I can define this is that , like you either I like something or I dont. I do tend to lean towards (wait for the neg rep) 70s disco and early eighties jazzfunk probably because this is the music of my coming into adult fruition, but I am glad that I dont label anyone type of music as that would be boring.

OK. I'll offer this as my all-time favourite soul track:

Gwen McCrae "All This Love That I'm Giving"

Great memories of Spain in the 80s. It was disgracefully covered by LUL DxE feat. Priscilla some time ago; no match for Gwen.

Also, I offer for nomination the following as one of the best Northern Soul tracks ever:

Bettye Lavette - Let Me Down Easy

I've been playing this in the bar over the last few weeks and it really has gone down a storm; such a great soul track which brings back memories of Mersea Island c.1989. As the text suggests, the only current artist who could probably do this track justice is Amy Winehouse and I think Joss Stone could probably offer a great version (although I've still not forgiven her for ruining "Son of a Preacher Man" a couple of years ago!).

Thoughts?

Last edited:
OK. I'll offer this as my all-time favourite soul track:

Gwen McCrae "All This Love That I'm Giving"

Great memories of Spain in the 80s. It was disgracefully covered by LUL DxE feat. Priscilla some time ago; no match for Gwen.

Also, I offer for nomination the following as one of the best Northern Soul tracks ever:

Bettye Lavette - Let Me Down Easy

I've been playing this in the bar over the last few weeks and it really has gone down a storm; such a great soul track which brings back memories of Mersea Island c.1989. As the text suggests, the only current artist who could probably do this track justice is Amy Winehouse and I think Joss Stone could probably offer a great version (although I've still not forgiven her for ruining "Son of a Preacher Man" a couple of years ago!).

Thoughts?
Second one is a terrific track...As for a current artist covering it...I would guess at either Lauryn hill or Mary J blige as the only hope.

Back