• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Youth Team off to Norhalne Cup

Matt the Shrimp

aka Harry Potter
Article here on the OS:

Youth Team off to Denmark...

Thanks to the Trust, the youth team have been able to fly off to Denmark in order to take part in the elite section of the Norhalne Cup, a pan-European competition. It seems to me that this will give the youths an enormous amount of experience and desire to succeed.

Many congrats to the SUSCT - a tremendous achievement, folks.

smile.gif

Long may the great links between the SUSCT and the Youth Team continue - as Terry says, the kids are our future... if we can unearth some gems, we could really establish ourselves as a force in the Championship.

cool.gif

Matt

They did something very similar at East Anglia when I was a lad. It was very beneficial to be playing against differing styles of play. A lot of our team that went out there are now playing for Pro Clubs although I still await my call up from my office chair
sad.gif

Matt,

The Shrimpers Trust is very keen to help the Youth Department/Centre of Excellence financially and non financially as best we can.

The Trust's view is contrary to Dave Webb's in that Southend United can do without a youth department and make do with cast-offs from the big boys. The club are striving to be big boys now and needs to develop its own local talent.

However the grants available to Youth departments are steadily being eroded, in fact, the P.F.A stopped their sponsorship last season but the money to operate still has to be found.

Ricky Duncan has done a fantastic job since he arrived in September and has now set up a backroom team which is turning the Youth setup into something that means business. Two sixteen year olds debuting in the first team this season is almost unheard of and the Shrimpers Trust Kid MK1 - Joel Ledgister - has now gained a pro deal with the club!

We gave Ricky a sum of money in September to help get the department up and running. Most of the proceeds of this season's Quid a Goal money will be at his disposal to make best use of and the Trust's plan is to use all of next season's pledges in the same way. We have also just agreed to spend another sum of money to help improve the facilities but more on that in due course.

So get pledging, you know where the money's going and that it's an excellent cause.  
biggrin.gif

Quid a Goal Pledge Form
although it's last season's form, it's still acceptable!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ May 24 2006,12:27)]We have 2 hopes of one of our youth team getting a chance in T'Championship!
Has your girlfriend kicked you out, Kev? I can't recall such a run of negative unhappy posts from you before!

wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 24 2006,12:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ May 24 2006,12:27)]We have 2 hopes of one of our youth team getting a chance in T'Championship!
Has your girlfriend kicked you out, Kev? I can't recall such a run of negative unhappy posts from you before!

wow.gif
I was just thinking that too!

oops.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blues_r_best @ May 24 2006,12:51)]The Trust has the money to do this but cannot subsidise coach travel for Swansea away
rock.gif
Depends what you think is more important, Toddy. For me, finding the Rooney of tomorrow is a bit more important than allowing you to go on a cheap beano to South Wales to test out your pulling skills on the young lasses from the valleys...

tounge.gif

Seriously, the Trust already runs coaches which represent fantastic value (IMHO)... so what's the grumble?

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TerryintheWest @ May 24 2006,12:20)]Matt,

The Shrimpers Trust is very keen to help the Youth Department/Centre of Excellence financially and non financially as best we can.

The Trust's view is contrary to Dave Webb's in that Southend United can do without a youth department and make do with cast-offs from the big boys. The club are striving to be big boys now and needs to develop its own local talent.

However the grants available to Youth departments are steadily being eroded, in fact, the P.F.A stopped their sponsorship last season but the money to operate still has to be found.

Ricky Duncan has done a fantastic job since he arrived in September and has now set up a backroom team which is turning the Youth setup into something that means business. Two sixteen year olds debuting in the first team this season is almost unheard of and the Shrimpers Trust Kid MK1 - Joel Ledgister - has now gained a pro deal with the club!

We gave Ricky a sum of money in September to help get the department up and running. Most of the proceeds of this season's Quid a Goal money will be at his disposal to make best use of and the Trust's plan is to use all of next season's pledges in the same way. We have also just agreed to spend another sum of money to help improve the facilities but more on that in due course.

So get pledging, you know where the money's going and that it's an excellent cause.  
biggrin.gif

Quid a Goal Pledge Form
although it's last season's form, it's still acceptable!
biggrin.gif
Terry,

That's fantastic stuff - keep up the superb work. As for me, I've sent my Quid-a-goal cheque last week, and have been in the 100 Club for a while... so the Trust is already bleeding me dry...

suspect.gif
tounge.gif

Only kidding - I'm happy to contribute to your fantastic work, and hope to do so for many years to come.

smile.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 24 2006,12:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (blues_r_best @ May 24 2006,12:51)]The Trust has the money to do this but cannot subsidise coach travel for Swansea away
rock.gif
Depends what you think is more important, Toddy.  For me, finding the Rooney of tomorrow is a bit more important than allowing you to go on a cheap beano to South Wales to test out your pulling skills on the young lasses from the valleys...

tounge.gif

Seriously, the Trust already runs coaches which represent fantastic value (IMHO)... so what's the grumble?

rock.gif
deepseafishing.jpg

And you ruined it

mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 24 2006,13:00)]and have been in the 100 Club for a while
Just to promote, that Alan of the Shrimpers Trust is still looking for people to join the 100 Club - only £5 a month.

I'm in - are you?
wink.gif

Up the Shrimpers
cool.gif

[b said:
[b said:

wow.gif
Nope. Im just being realistic mate. Kightly has done well, at non-league level and Peanut has hardly set the world alight. And from what i saw last season in the reserves, there isn't exactly a great bundle of talent coming through the ranks. Its harsh. But true.

suspect.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ May 24 2006,14:58)]
[b said:
[b said:

wow.gif
Nope. Im just being realistic mate. Kightly has done well, at non-league level and Peanut has hardly set the world alight. And from what i saw last season in the reserves, there isn't exactly a great bundle of talent coming through the ranks. Its harsh. But true.

suspect.gif
Would Tilly have given pro contracts to complete no-hopers though? Just hope you're wrong, but time will tell.

smile.gif

Ricky Duncan's talk at the Trust AGM about his vision for the Youth department is worth reading!  
smile.gif

Ricky Duncan says on the Trust website

The Shrimpers Trust want to help him achieve that  
biggrin.gif

Nice report.

Few formatting problems but presumably they're just related to Firefox.

Certainly the guy thinks very positively but I feel I have to agree with most he says there, particularly the bit about it taking time to develop the youth system.

I still feel that one youth player playing more a handful of games (on merit) in the first team every coupe of seasons is a decent return.

The problem for hte youth setup is that the players coming through now have to be Championship standard so it will be harder for them to break in to the first team, particularly if we are scrapping for points.

Back