• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Thanks for sharing that :thumbsup:

Inspiring character is our kid Andy, the sort of bloke that Nile should sit down with for a few hours.

Maybe as part of the deal to give Zak a chance would be for PB to ask Andy to give some mentoring to Ranger, Southend legend and all round nice guy - if even 10% of his compassion, drive and focus could rub off on Ranger he'd be 100% the better man...

Given Rangers current residence I think Ricky Otto may be a better bet ...

It never ceases to amaze me, you can spend so much time at a club like Arsenal with the coaching and resources they have and still end up in non-league...

Of course there was the injury, but still?!

There's only so many jobs in the 92 clubs though and way more kids coming through the ranks than there are spaces in first team squads available.

The non-leagues are full of players who've dropped down for whatever reason. We sometimes forget that guys in the fifth and sixth tier are phenomenally good at football to get to even that level. Sometimes players who've dropped down manage to get a second chance (look at Eastwood, Gower, Bentley, Hooper and others from just our club). It would be a great story if Ansah could be the next one.

Forward. Probably not priority area- on the other hand would be cheap and there was a time when at Charlton people on here were saying we should look at him.

I fully expect huge enthusiasm for this from those who have been advocating hungry younger players from non-League- you have your wish..

Dont expect massed enthusiasm you will rightly be disappointed. those of us inclined towards the odd decent player being picked up from non league can be a very disparate and discriminating lot. We are used to signings in the past like Darryl Flahaven , also from Woking, Freddy Eastwood, Kightly , Garry Hooper and many more who in some cases required a fee and went on to be very good players that the club picked up from lower down the leagues, just as Peterborough do each year to make millions, So please lets not bracket any youngster who happens to turn up as satiating the desire of those of us who would still like to see us pick up well scouted, assessed and talented players from the lower reaches occasionally. I wouldnt see Ansah the younger in this category and dont think this fulfils my wish at all, , but I do wish him well though

It never ceases to amaze me, you can spend so much time at a club like Arsenal with the coaching and resources they have and still end up in non-league...

As illustrated by the number of players we get on loan who end up in exactly the same place - Conor Clifford and Lee Sawyer to mention just two.

Players develop at different rates and so that potential might not come to be - especially if it isn't matched by a development in physique .......... and as you say, an injury can be very telling.

Arsenal will have 100s of kids on their books at any one time.

Plus the talent level between league one and the conference is not that big (the gap in experience will account for a lot of the difference in performance) and it's easy for a player to drop out of the league, particularly if they don't have league success on their CV.

A bloke called Vardy was non league wasn't he? wonder what happened to him:unsure:

A bloke called Vardy was non league wasn't he? wonder what happened to him:unsure:

Difference is he banged then in for both Halifax and Fleetwood before getting his big move.

I've seen Ansah play a couple of time and I like him. If he impresses on trial then I would be happy if we signed him. Another attacking option and definietly good cover whilst Ranger is out of the picture.

Anyone thinking son of Ansah is a chip off the old block should visit Cardsboard - the Woking fans forum - to see the hand wringing online over his performances last season.

Anyone thinking son of Ansah is a chip off the old block should visit Cardsboard - the Woking fans forum - to see the hand wringing online over his performances last season.

Anyone who read the 'Zak Ansah' thread this week on that forum should visit ShrimperZone and see the occasionally pie-eyed analysis of players who've left (such as Will Atkinson) by some posters to forums. It's also worth noting that 'one man's **** is another man's treasure'. In football terms, Zak may have been still getting over his long term injury while at Woking, possibly also smarting from dropping from Arsenal to non-league. To be honest I'd ignore Cardsboard. If he's not good enough at this time to improve on what we have, he won't be retained. I think Phil has already said he wants to take a different approach to the Hines, Nouble etc situation last year. In the meantime, it does no harm to take a look.

Not sure why we're looking at him, has done nothing anywhere he's been, didn't have the best attitude while a youth at Arsenal from what I understand - hopefully just a favour to his dad to keep him fit so he can impress trialling with someone else.

Not sure why we're looking at him, has done nothing anywhere he's been, didn't have the best attitude while a youth at Arsenal from what I understand - hopefully just a favour to his dad to keep him fit so he can impress trialling with someone else.

His England youth goalscoring record was not too shabby. Does anyone know (not speculation based on the fact that he was ultimately released) any facts about how he did at Arsenal prior to the injury?

His England youth goalscoring record was not too shabby. Does anyone know (not speculation based on the fact that he was ultimately released) any facts about how he did at Arsenal prior to the injury?

I think he has had three serious knee injuries in his already short career

Edit : Just checked

from Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zak_Ansah
He suffered a tear of his ACL in July 2013 that ruled him out for eight months, the second time he had suffered the injury,
After suffering a long-term knee injury in October 2016, Ansah was forced out of the Woking team until March 2017

Last edited:
I think he has had three serious knee injuries in his already short career

Edit : Just checked

from Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zak_Ansah
He suffered a tear of his ACL in July 2013 that ruled him out for eight months, the second time he had suffered the injury,
After suffering a long-term knee injury in October 2016, Ansah was forced out of the Woking team until March 2017

Thanks Firestorm. That again shows up the Cardsboard thread for the tripe it is. I don't think we should worry too much about his performances there given how out of shape and condition he would have been following the injuries (not to mention any lingering unhappiness about the unfortunate turn his career had taken as a result).

I'd be much more concerned to assess just how much those injuries have fully healed, any ongoing impacts and his personal fitness and warm up regime to try to reduce future instances to the absolute minimum. Then get a full pre-season into him and he may be great. Or not, in which case this will be a short trial.

Back