• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It pertains to the fact that we are - like it or not - a lower league team who's very existence is at stake if these idiotic proposals are allowed through.

Thats very true, I personally dont see us as going out of business because of it though, although it would deal a massive blow to half the conference and then the bottom half of league two eventually.

What I do see happening is us playing in this league with 5 clubs B teams. Thats 10 games a season, almost a quarter of the season against a "club" that isnt a real club and has no real interest in whether it wins or not as promotion isnt an objective.

It will be like playing a preseason friendly against a Tottenham XI when they dont bring the first team.

It will ruin the integrity of our leagues.

Potential scenario here for you.

Young player from local area, originates from L2 academy at local club. Gets the choice of signing a pro deal at Local club with **** facilities and on a crap salary. Or joins Chelsea with amazing facilities and much better pay, and being watched by top scouts week in week out while playing at the same level as the local club in Chelsea's 'B' team.

Obviously you wouldnt begrudge a young player for taking the latter option, but where does that leave the local club??????

That already happens though.

Thats very true, I personally dont see us as going out of business because of it though, although it would deal a massive blow to half the conference and then the bottom half of league two eventually.

What I do see happening is us playing in this league with 5 clubs B teams. Thats 10 games a season, almost a quarter of the season against a "club" that isnt a real club and has no real interest in whether it wins or not as promotion isnt an objective.

It will be like playing a preseason friendly against a Tottenham XI when they dont bring the first team.

It will ruin the integrity of our leagues.

That already happens though.

Yes, but my point being that the L2 club cant even argue to the player that they will be getting more competitive football, because the poxy 'B' team will be playing in the same division? Surely that's all the lower league sides have at the moment, draw of first team football.

This literally takes that away completely.

I'm not entirely sure who gets to vote on these changes however I really can't see this being passed given the majority opinion (based purely on my reading of tweets etc in the last few hours). Are L1, L2, conference sides going to vote in favour? I very much doubt it unless a huge financial carrot was dangled in front of them . . . (Ron - take note!)

Has any of the FA commission actually been to watch any of these B or C teams play in their respective divisions to find out how it works and whether the quality would fit in with our current pyramid? I very much doubt it! In a league where Barca and Real Madrid hoover up 20% of TV revenues, I hardly think that we should be attempting to adopt the Spanish model. Thankfully the Germans are starting to see sense in respect of ditching B teams in the Bundesliga set up - again something that the FA have failed to pick up on.

The sooner the game divorces from the FA, UEFA and FIFA the better!

surely this would have to be ratified by the clubs and they are unlikely to do this. I get that at least 10 premier clubs not allowed a B team ie the crap ones like W*** H**, will vote against. If it is delegated to this committee then it will end up in the courts. The whole thing is so badly argued and drafted.

Does it have to be ratified by the members of the FA? I hope so... 70+ chairmen might be telling the FA to FRO.

Hmmm not too impressed with that reply. The issue isn't about "stockpiling of talent" because lower league clubs massively benefit from that as the talent produced at tops clubs trickles down. The arguments against should be the potential/probable downgrade in status of a huge number of 100+ year old football clubs.

Taking this initiative at face favlue it is yet another attempt to maintain the status quo by locking clubs into their current position in the footballing hierarchy and preventing smaller clubs to rise up the ladder (see four clubs in the Champions League, Financial Fair Play, parachute payments, etc).

English football shouldn't be afraid of drastic and radical change for the betterment of the game and the national side. But this isn't it.

Does it have to be ratified by the members of the FA? I hope so... 70+ chairmen might be telling the FA to FRO.

Unlikely, the FA have been in the pockets of the Premiership for some while. As guardians of our game, they are not fit for purpose.

Accrington have a different take on it there twitter.lol

Accrington StanleyVerified account‏@ASFCofficial9mTo increase the number of English players in the top flight we're going to launch a B team & apply to join the Premier League

Hmmm not too impressed with that reply. The issue isn't about "stockpiling of talent" because lower league clubs massively benefit from that as the talent produced at tops clubs trickles down.

They would obviously benefit more if it wasn't just a trickle.

The arguments against should be the potential/probable downgrade in status of a huge number of 100+ year old football clubs.

Completely disagree. That is just naive if you think such arguments are going to get anywhere with the powers that be.

Taking this initiative at face favlue it is yet another attempt to maintain the status quo by locking clubs into their current position in the footballing hierarchy and preventing smaller clubs to rise up the ladder (see four clubs in the Champions League, Financial Fair Play, parachute payments, etc).

Absolutely. And they'll use the threat of B teams to force through other changes. What will happen is that the FA will go away and say we've listened and B teams aren't the way forward. Feeder club loans and all the other one-sided changes are the way forward and because all the opposition has been concentrated on B teams they'll force through changes completely in the favour of the big clubs that will further damage English football.

English football shouldn't be afraid of drastic and radical change for the betterment of the game and the national side. But this isn't it.

The FA aren't the body to produce it. They are too closely aligned to the FA Premier League. They won't be willing to say players need to move abroad. They won't be willing to take on the big clubs to ensure the fairer distribution of money.

Dyke is a Man U fan from Surrey.

We have the perfect opportunity to have some sort of banner protest either at Burton or Roots Hall to show our displeasure of Gregg Dykes idea. Sky love a banner.

Many years ago lower league clubs were able to run reserve sides in the Combination and as far as I can remember there was a separate Cup competition. In those days the smaller clubs produced good players who were sold to larger clubs which in turn produced income so that the process could continue. These days that system fails because as we all know Premier League clubs buy abroad which is self defeating. It has taken Greg Dyke and the others a long time to recognise the reason why England are unlikely to win the world cup despite the problem staring them in the face for years. I hope his plan is rejected by the Football League as it has been drawn up to appease the greedy Premier League. Give the smaller clubs a larger share of Sky money they might solve the problem in due course .

Yes, but my point being that the L2 club cant even argue to the player that they will be getting more competitive football, because the poxy 'B' team will be playing in the same division? Surely that's all the lower league sides have at the moment, draw of first team football.

This literally takes that away completely.

Yes that is true, but only for the 10 clubs who have B teams, there will be 50 + clubs in League One and above who dont have that luxury.

Look at all our loans this year, none came from clubs you would expect to have a B team.

Yes that is true, but only for the 10 clubs who have B teams, there will be 50 + clubs in League One and above who dont have that luxury.

Look at all our loans this year, none came from clubs you would expect to have a B team.

What about Liverpool, aren't they quoted as being keen in the BBC article?

My reason this is bull$hite is that if you are a decent PL kid and need to get some games, then you may go out on loan to a champ or L1 side today (think Defoe, Beckham, Ravel Morrison, etc).. they'll play a decent standard of football. If this system comes into play then they'll end up playing Dartford, Hyde or Altringham each week - Will that improve them? Nope.

It won't be either/or. Those loans would still happen.

If that's the case, then whats the point of this...

I'm actually not convinced this is such a bad thing. They get competitive games. We get a few bigger games, more revenue, and some more teams to collectively abuse and giant kill - could be fun. I'm not sure we have much to fear from this, but there need to be robust measures in place to stop big teams 'buying' the lower leagues. It happens elsewhere in europe and the reserve sides don't always dominate. Don't reject something just because it's new.

Set up your own reserve league by all means but keep your practice matches away from our real matches. I rarely bother with friendlies and have no interest in starting now.

Mention of boycotting the B team matches will be far too late - if this looks to be moving forward then Prem matches should be targeted - pick a team that is in favour and get all interested supporters of any team to turn up on mass, then the following week pick another. What is handy is so few are played at 3pm on a Saturday so no need to miss out on real football.

I'm actually not convinced this is such a bad thing. They get competitive games. We get a few bigger games, more revenue, and some more teams to collectively abuse and giant kill - could be fun. I'm not sure we have much to fear from this, but there need to be robust measures in place to stop big teams 'buying' the lower leagues. It happens elsewhere in europe and the reserve sides don't always dominate. Don't reject something just because it's new.

Will they be bigger games?

If you introduce new teams into a league them some have to go to make room - means 100 year old clubs disappear. Also chanting '1-0 to the seasiders' whilst beating Chelsea B will be met with shrugs because its their reserve team and they won't give a **** if its 10-0 to the seasiders.

Back