• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, seeing this comment and similar, seems to indicate that respected zoners really believe this is what we have been waiting for based on the information over the last couple of pages. So do people now really believe that the findings over the last few pages have swung us from probably dead, to probably on? Time for a swing-o-meter perhaps?

The 3 sided stadium will kill the club with only ticket sales to fund the wages!,God help us if Ron demands rent on top as well.

The 3 sided stadium will kill the club with only ticket sales to fund the wages!,God help us if Ron demands rent on top as well.

I do appreciate the angst of many supporters over this matter but we cannot follow the example of Ned Ludd. We have to accept the need for change in order to progress. Fears about how we cope in a new stadium are at this point nothing more than a fear of the unknown. I am more afraid of the certainty that our club will not survive long term at Roots Hall. Believe me I am a sentimental old sod and would love nothing more than to stay put but that would be nothing more than a slow, agonising death for our club.

According to LinkedIn he's on their procurement team (rather than on the development side) - he's a 3rd level connection to me, Napster is one level closer (so they have at least mutual contact)

Not much of a mutual contact - he's a air conditioning person I don't know that well.

Hold on... hasn't the new training ground got to be built first before the stadium and retail park are built on boots and laces? Also its in Southend Borough Council's interest to move Sainsbury's to the new RH store as I believe they intend to redevelop the old supermarket and some of the surrounding site in London Road.

Seeing those words makes me sad. I know it is important for the future of the club, but still...

Sentimental old bugger! :winking: I feel the same way, after 58years of going to Roots Hall (admittedly, for obvious reasons, some large gaps between visits in the last thirty), the name is synonymous with Southend United

Based on?

We've been saying for months that the hold up is Sainsburys. There's no more hold up. Sainsburys are going to tender. The Roots Hall site will be demolished.

The fact nothing has happened for SEVEN years. There is no evidence to suggest the S106 agreement is in place, no evidence to suggest Prospects, St Mary's, Shops have been purchased. What about the payments to the Council or the site access road that has to be built at FF before anything can start?

We MAY see a bit of minor excavation work going on in the RH car park, but IMO we are still a million miles away from seeing work proper getting underway at FF.

We will revisit this in "the Spring" (again) and I will love to be proved wrong.

The fact nothing has happened for SEVEN years. There is no evidence to suggest the S106 agreement is in place, no evidence to suggest Prospects, St Mary's, Shops have been purchased. What about the payments to the Council or the site access road that has to be built at FF before anything can start?

We MAY see a bit of minor excavation work going on in the RH car park, but IMO we are still a million miles away from seeing work proper getting underway at FF.

We will revisit this in "the Spring" (again) and I will love to be proved wrong.

However, it does appear that Sainsburys are still planning to go ahead with the project which is a big leap forward from a week ago.
At least we have (another spring!?!) date to focus on. This time it seems to be a little more in black and white date wise and timescale wise.

Something is happening and this is very different from SUFC going out to tender on FF a couple of times. As others have said - Sainsburys wouldn't be paying to put this out to tender if they hadn't concluded that this store has survived their review of their new builds and that they will be on site in a shiny new store by March 2017. As people - including you on numerous occasions - have pointed out they're the power and money in this situation. I'm sure they could buy Prospects and fund the S106 tomorrow if they're that way inclined.

What this means for Southend United and Fossetts Farm has to be unclear at this point. What is clear is that Roots Hall's time is nigh.

Let's be clear this is not just the demolition contract this is the whole design and build contract (£10m) for the following works:
Demolition of football stadium and redevelopment of comprising food superstore including erection of fuel station, associated landscaping and vehicle parking.

Can we all take our SUFC cynical heads off for a minute and put on their rational ones on just for a minute. Does anyone really think that a company the size of Sainsbury's and with the monetary clout they have. would put out to tender a job of this scale without already having dotted all the 'I's and crossed all the 'T's? I'm 100% sure Prospects and ST Mary's are but mere formalities now.

Their strategic review has been on their corporate books for nie on a year now so it's made perfectly good sense to hold back on all things to do with the redevelopment of the RH site until they know where it's heading. Now we have it in black and white here is what I expect to be seeing in print over the next few weeks/months into the New Year. And probably in this order too.

1. A deal has been reached with the owners of Prospects that allows Sainsbury's to push forward with their plans for the RH site.

2. St Mary's Court ....see above

3. The remaining shops in Victoria Road.......again, see above.

4. The tender has been won by (insert name) and work will begin in earnest in X weeks.

5. RM to now pop his head above the parapet and give us all a firm timescale of not only the RH site but FF as well.

The whole stumbling block we've seen this past 12 to 18 months has all been J Sainsbury's doing with their review. That's now not a problem and as can be seen by the tender they've put out they fully intend to get what they want regardless of what the owner of Prospects or anyone else says.

Happy days :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back