• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just seen the goals on TV. Loois Luke their were opportunities to stop both, especially with ,Bentley in no where land for the second. Special mention for paynes off the line clrarence. One of the best I have seen, showed real determination. Also for our first when the cross comes in Coker has FOUR players to aim at. You don't see that very often.

He was on the bench!:winking:

Can someone put in some ratings? How did binnom Williams get on at centre back and how did the 2 upfront do? Was Atkinson worthy of a start?

Coker-9
Worrral-8
Atkinson-8
Rest-7 (which is still a good score)

Think Williams has great potential at center back.

Looked to me that B-Williams got the wrong side for the initial flick-on re their opener (but the lad is showing potential in that position).
Coker outstanding again - made all 3 assists.
Agreed, Deegan did warrant a second yellow for the challenge, and that the ref was not going to give it until their hysterical reaction, their diminuative midfielder surely sprinted to the scene faster than he did at any other time during the match.
Payne missed a sitter but also made a great clearance off the line.
Corr looked like he had the hump, being left out at the expense of two kids, and his goal celebrations were muted......good.

looked more to me like he was playing advantage because they still had the ball, until that group of players started pushing each other around. at that point it became clear he couldnt ignore it and continue the game. i think he would have gone back and booked him even if they had continued until the ball was out of play.

What a great game and fantastic performance!

I was pleased to see us start with 4-4-2 although personally I think our 4-5-1 and playing on the counter is the way we should play away from home. Anyhow, we started brilliantly but after about 5 minutes Oxford did take control a bit and we struggled to keep possession. We weren't posing a threat up front as Pigott and Cassidy were either too close or too far apart. Oxford's goal was almost a carbon copy of a chance a few minutes earlier that their player put into the car park. In both cases, we were beaten far too easily and were too square at the back. At least that guarantees a change to the back four next week and hopefully the return of Adam Barrett - shame his registration wasn't through in time.

After that we had a lot of possession and a great cross from Coker was headed in by Worrall. I thought this would be the springboard for us to go and batter them as they were a very, very poor side. However, Deegan's rush of blood saw him sent to the stands and we were faced with playing 3/4 of the game with 10 men.

Notwithstanding that, we were the better side and looked more likely to score, despite not creating many chances. We forced more corners in a half than I can remember for a long time but nothing came to fruition. The front pairing wasn't really gelling and the game passed Cassidy by. Just before halftime Oxford came to life; a long range effort was tipped over by Bentley and from the corner, Binnom-Williams let his runner go and he powered a header home at the near post.

We all said that the next goal was crucial. Oxford didn't play in a style that was going to worry us and if they had been more route 1, we would have been in serious trouble. Within a minute or so of the restart we were back on terms, Pigott bravely getting a diving header in from a Coker cross. I thought at the time their keeper and ex-Shrimper Ryan Clarke should have done better and having seen the goals on TV I'm standing by that. Poor goalkeeping and we would have been disappointed in Bentley had let that in.

After that the game was quite even but Oxford were making the extra man in midfield tell. Then came the double substitution with the front pairing coming off with Corr and Timlin going in to make it 4-4-1. At the time we felt this was a negative move as we really weren't being posed problems but it was clear that the midfield would tire and Cassidy was pretty much a passenger by now.

Barry was holding the ball up well now but the lack of support was evident and very often there was about 30 or 40 yards between him and the midfield, who adopted a "Thou shalt not pass" mentality. Oxford were having more of the ball and the defending became Alamo-esque. A low cross squirmed away from Bentley and when the empty net beckoned, a fierce shot was blocked with the rebound cleared off the line in dramatic fashion by Jack Payne, who moments earlier had come on for Worrall, who had been up there as one of the men of the match.

A series of crosses came in but these were valiantly dealt with by the heroic Southend defence, who must have taken a rapid-fire lesson from Adam Barrett in last ditch defending. The ball would be cleared but had to come back again and it seemed certain that if there was to be a winner, it would be to the home team. We were posing no threat at all.

Then, with 7 minutes left, we mounted a rare foray into their half and a sublime one two on the left gave Coker the space to cross for his 3rd assist as Corr scuffed his shot into the corner after another poor attempt to save by Clarke.

In the celebrations Brown was sent to the stand and the home fans exodus began as they began leaving in droves. There also seemed to be a lack of urgency amongst their players who seemed content to pass it around at the back instead of launching it into the box. This started a chorus of boos from the home fans and to me smacked of tactics to get the manager sacked.

There were still some nervy moments as we entered 5 minutes added on time and the crosses started to come in again with more desperate defending. Then there was a break and Jack Payne had a great chance with just the keeper to beat but he dinked it just wide. That miss nearly came back to haunt us as in the final minute of added on time, a ball over the top caught us out again and Bentley made a Schmeichel style block to keep the ball out.

Shortly afterwards, the final whistle went and the Oxford players sank to their knees in disbelief whilst the Blues celebrated on the pitch. Three more points to keep the promotion chase intact.

Ratings -

Bentley - 8 - A couple of dodgy moments but really kept us in it late on.

White - 7 - Solid display, looks much better at right back.
Thompson - 6 - Part of the heroic defence but but was too square at times.
Binnom-Williams - 7 - Lost his man for their second but made some fantastic tackles and blocks
Coker - 9.5 - MOM - 3 assists, great crosses, best left back performance I've seen for years. Hope we can keep him past this month!

Leonard - 7 - A better display than of late
Deegan - 5 - Was doing ok but two stupid challenges. The rest of the team got him out of jail today.
Atkinson - 7 - Fantastic engine and linked up well with Lenny after Deegans sending off. Covered so much ground.
Worrall - 8 - Caused them problems all game up to when he was subbed.

Pigott - 7 - Settling in, great first goal. Unlucky to be subbed but probably the right thing.
Cassidy - 5 - Game passed him by and I'm struggling to think of anything he actually did. But he is young, needs some time.

Subs -

Corr - 8 - Great work rate and winning goal.
Timlin - 8 - Fresh legs when needed and helpedbreak things up
Payne - 7 - Fantastic off-line clearance but should have made it safe at the death

Ref - 7 - I thought he was ok, didn't make any major errors.

Last edited:
So the next question is who (if anybody) would you drop to see Barrett return vs Pompey next weekend?

Having just watched the goals, we actually had people in the box - 4 for the first goal and 3 for the second and third. This is why I think we look so ineffective with just a single striker, especially Corr, as there are never enough bodies in the box.

Hopefully we can persist with this for the rest of the season.

So the next question is who (if anybody) would you drop to see Barrett return vs Pompey next weekend?

Certainly not Williams, I think we might have found his position! Only the brilliance of Coker pips him to Man of the Match imo

Thompson still looked a little shaky yesterday, I don't know if conditions were maybe coming into it but wasn't meeting the bounce on a few occasions.

Good question Lenny. PB rewarded our two centre backs with a start after their second half performance v Plymouth.
Coker is nailed in at left back[3 assists yesterday]. B-Williams future looks like the middle for me. If he learns to read the game a bit better when sweeping round. IE get yourself between player and goal. Very early doors but at times looked really cool on the ball. His distribution first half yesterday was much better than when he is wide, seems the more time he has the poorer the end result.

Thompson made a couple of desperate blocks from second half crosses and has so far been unfairly marked down on here.

Deegan a bit unlucky really. Not justifying his poor tackle, but we should have got a free kick immediately before Deegan went in. Blatant foul on Leonard on the edge of the box by the player who Deegan fouled.

Next week's back 4 should be White. Prosser, Barrett and Coker

Well PB felt safe enough with 10 men not to use Prosser. So the fact that Thompson and B-Williams were playing so well allowed the, no one predicted it, sub of Payne 76mins.

78mins Payne clears of the line at 2-2, Brown celebrates like we've just won the league. 82 mins BBBC scores, Brown celebrates like........ and gets sent to the stand.

Wasn't able to go yesterday, but just saw the highlights - lack of marking for all the goals on both sides ! !

Cracking reverse pass from Jack Payne to Coker for our third goal. Not sure if he can fit into a 4-4-2 but maybe at the top of a diamond midfield?

p.s. Williams and Barrett at CB? Two left footers don't normally work well together.

looked more to me like he was playing advantage because they still had the ball, until that group of players started pushing each other around. at that point it became clear he couldnt ignore it and continue the game. i think he would have gone back and booked him even if they had continued until the ball was out of play.

From TV viewing I'd say he was NOT playing advantage; he was not signalling or even shouting "advantage". It looked like he had no intention of blowing for a foul until either the reaction of the Oxford players or he got a word in his earpiece from an assistant.

You don't want to be playing advantage in a red card situation unless the advantage is clear cut (i.e. a goal-scoring opportunity); the advantage play could go on for some while and the situation could become difficult.

My thanks for all the match reports - been to Oxford a number of times but not yesterday. :thumbsup:

Part time supporters eh? :winking:

9th page and I've managed to read about 3 or 4 reports. Good stuff that.

Perhaps "the zone" could have a separate thread just for the reports (here it would be 1 to 2 pages) and the other 7 pages could be a "if I had been there I would think ........" thread. :sad:

Back