• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Of his 53 goals for us, Bazza has scored 43 of them when starting a match and only 10 as a substitute, so only 19% of them have come from the bench.

Today was only the second time he has scored as a substitute since 1 April 2013.

Thanks for that. Do you also know how many starts he's made compared with substitute appearances, would be interested to know the ratios.

This. Brown made his changes too early, and at a time when we were still on top, and invited Oxford on to us. They were then pretty unlucky not to score (three cleared off the line before we scored, Bents pulling off a brilliant save after we scored). He's done this before and we've paid for it. His players, with some help from a pretty inept Oxford side, have pulled him out of a hole and though I am delighted with the win and the passion of the players, it makes me feel slightly nauseous to see Tango being praised for brilliant substitutions. I am in total agreement with Paul Clark.

I wasn't there and didn't listen to the game. But surely the changes are all about managing the players you have and their energy levels?

You can have them attacking hard and pressurising but that's not a good idea if you're going to run out of steam and leave yourselves really struggling. At some point if you're a player down you're going to have to go compact and you can't be gung-ho. It sounds from twitter that we set ourselves up to be hard to beat and as Oxford struggled to break us down we ourselves were able to be more confidence in attacking them.

Brown is definitely a defensive manager but we've won 3-2 away from home, I find it really difficult to criticise any aspect of his management tonight, especially criticise him for being defensive.

I wasn't there and didn't listen to the game. But surely the changes are all about managing the players you have and their energy levels?

You can have them attacking hard and pressurising but that's not a good idea if you're going to run out of steam and leave yourselves really struggling. At some point if you're a player down you're going to have to go compact and you can't be gung-ho. It sounds from twitter that we set ourselves up to be hard to beat and as Oxford struggled to break us down we ourselves were able to be more confidence in attacking them.

Brown is definitely a defensive manager but we've won 3-2 away from home, I find it really difficult to criticise any aspect of his management tonight, especially criticise him for being defensive.

I think that this is the trap that many are falling into - we won, therefore PB was correct in what he did. You might as well thank Deegan for getting sent off, there's no guarantee that we would have won if he hadn't. The point about the substitutions isn't the tactic, it's the timing and I refer you to Paul Clark again. We went from being comfortably in the game to backs-to-the-wall defending, and against another team, or Oxford on another day, it could and probably would have cost us. Read back through other post-match threads for a more realistic appraisal of PB's "skills" at using substitutes.

Oh you lot....

Deegan was a walking red card. That aside, there is absolutely nothing for anyone to complain about.

We got a decent bit of entertainment, a decent peformance, we came from behind twice to win, with ten men.....

PB clearly got the subs right. Cassidy was a passenger by the time he came off. And Oxford were risking men forward, so an additional midfielder was worth the sacrifice of a front man. Corr is better than holding it up, and when you've got ten, that's what you need to do. And of course, we were always going to be hanging on at the end because Oxford were always going to throw the kitchen sink at us.

What I do know is that Brown does train 10 v 11, so when this happens, we are prepared. That's why we win so many with ten. So, no, you can't fault him today.

Did anyone listen to Radio Oxford coming home. Apparantly they made a "poor side, with ten, look good". Tossers.

I think that this is the trap that many are falling into - we won, therefore PB was correct in what he did. You might as well thank Deegan for getting sent off, there's no guarantee that we would have won if he hadn't. The point about the substitutions isn't the tactic, it's the timing and I refer you to Paul Clark again. We went from being comfortably in the game to backs-to-the-wall defending, and against another team, or Oxford on another day, it could and probably would have cost us. Read back through other post-match threads for a more realistic appraisal of PB's "skills" at using substitutes.
So much backs to the wall, that we scored and Payne missed a golden chance.

from a personal point listening on the radio it sounded like we were the better team and were looking the most likely to score- therefore there was a reasonable reason to keep the formation the same (most teams playing with 10 men away are not the better team and the one that looks the most likely to score- according to the radio broadcast that we both listened to) . After the change we seemed to come under more pressure from the new formation which suggested it was a poor change. - and then of course we scored which to some will 'prove' it was the right choice.
Good job PB spotted the danger much quicker than Paul Clark. As somebody has already pointed out Cassidy was drifting out the game. BBBC dealt with the longer clearances better in the air than Piggott, thus taking pressure off of our tiring midfield. Are you shrimpmoaners seriously trying to claim Oxford would not have been able to put us under pressure for the last 20 mins if we had kept 2 up front. Great second half performance, special mention to the back five.

Looked to me that B-Williams got the wrong side for the initial flick-on re their opener (but the lad is showing potential in that position).
Coker outstanding again - made all 3 assists.
Agreed, Deegan did warrant a second yellow for the challenge, and that the ref was not going to give it until their hysterical reaction, their diminuative midfielder surely sprinted to the scene faster than he did at any other time during the match.
Payne missed a sitter but also made a great clearance off the line.
Corr looked like he had the hump, being left out at the expense of two kids, and his goal celebrations were muted......good.

Apparently an Oxford fan was giving him some stick and he all apparently gave a bit back, although he denied this. The 4th official alerted the ref who sent him to the stand to then sit with Oxford fans! Terry alderton I think then got PB to come and sit with them in a corporate box area. Brown said he had done nothing wrong and that fans shouldn't be allowed to abuse managers and get away with it etc
Unless said fans are in east greens?

Woke up today with a warm glow despite the freezing weather. We came back twice from behind and played for an hour with 10 men and scored 3 goals away from home.:happy: Compare that warm glow with how Oxford fans must be feeling today.:'(

And if we'd kept it the same and lost, can you imagine the reponse on here?

I like Paul Clark but as several people have commented, Cassidy was dead on his feet so a change was necessary.

And if we'd kept it the same and lost, can you imagine the reponse on here?

I like Paul Clark but as several people have commented, Cassidy was dead on his feet so a change was necessary.

Also Oxford are unlikely to throw players forward when their is plenty of time left, however the longer it stayed at 2-2 they would have started gambling a bit more anyway, so they would have started putting pressure on us regardless of who we left on the pitch.

Corr looked like he had the hump, being left out at the expense of two kids, and his goal celebrations were muted......good.

I think he does, according to his interview. He said he has been asking the manager to play 2 up front for months, and then when he does, he isn't one of them. When he does then get on, he is on his own up front again!

BBBC will still have a big role to play this season, as Piggott is only here for a month at the moment, and I am sure that we will break one of the loanees.

I think he does, according to his interview. He said he has been asking the manager to play 2 up front for months, and then when he does, he isn't one of them. When he does then get on, he is on his own up front again!

BBBC will still have a big role to play this season, as Piggott is only here for a month at the moment, and I am sure that we will break one of the loanees.

Hmm so even Barry wants 2 up front,Well said Barry.

Waits for Jam to put an entirely different spin on it:smile:

Just seen the goals on TV. Looks Like their were opportunities to stop both, especially with ,Bentley in no where land for the second. Special mention for paynes off the line clearence. One of the best I have seen, showed real determination. Also for our first when the cross comes in Coker has FOUR players to aim at. You don't see that very often.

Last edited:
Just seen the goals on TV. Loois Luke their were opportunities to stop both, especially with ,Bentley in no where land for the second. Special mention for paynes off the line clrarence. One of the best I have seen, showed real determination. Also for our first when the cross comes in Coker has FOUR players to aim at. You don't see that very often.

Was an amazing clearance. Just before his clearance though, White also puts in a fab challenge

Back