• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

You're right, the OMT does make good reading - but I wonder if you would have felt any different to those posters at that point in time? It's easy to be wise after the event.
I take your point. But the point I was trying to make was the knee jerk reactions and insults to PB, especially during matches is embarrassing at times.

Them as went..................why did Brownie get sent off?

In his post match interview Brown said the fourth official was "bang out of order" and should "get a life." He'd been on at him throughout the match about being six inches over his line etc. PB had been taking abuse from the Oxford fans behind him all afternoon and it sounded like serious abuse. When we scored our third and winning goal the 4th official reckoned he'd made a gesture to the crowd. He was really ****ed off with that official. Trouble is, when he gives Deegan a bollocking for being sent off .........

Apparently an Oxford fan was giving him some stick and he all apparently gave a bit back, although he denied this. The 4th official alerted the ref who sent him to the stand to then sit with Oxford fans! Terry alderton I think then got PB to come and sit with them in a corporate box area. Brown said he had done nothing wrong and that fans shouldn't be allowed to abuse managers and get away with it etc

Yes he said in his interview that he was invited by a Southend fan in Eastenders but couldn't remember his name!

Apparently an Oxford fan was giving him some stick and he all apparently gave a bit back, although he denied this. The 4th official alerted the ref who sent him to the stand to then sit with Oxford fans! Terry alderton I think then got PB to come and sit with them in a corporate box area. Brown said he had done nothing wrong and that fans shouldn't be allowed to abuse managers and get away with it etc

Thanks Shrimperjon

I take your point. But the point I was trying to make was the knee jerk reactions and insults to PB, especially during matches is embarrassing at times.

Whats puzzling is why people think that when at 2-2 with 10 men PB decided to bring a midfielder on and revert to 441 was a bad decision.

441 when you are with 10 men is a standard way to play, two banks of four and let the 11 men try to break you down. When you are losing its right to stay with the two forwards but you cant expect to win a game with 10 men and have to hope to nick something but make it hard for the 11 men to break down the 10 men.

Thats not PB being negative, its what 99% of managers would do.

Ill always remember being 10 men against Huddersfield when Eastwood getting sent off and some fan in the East stand screaming at Maher for not being attacking enough and after the game Tilson coming running over and telling the fan that we were at 1-1 and didnt want to lose what we had.

Whats puzzling is why people think that when at 2-2 with 10 men PB decided to bring a midfielder on and revert to 441 was a bad decision.

441 when you are with 10 men is a standard way to play, two banks of four and let the 11 men try to break you down. When you are losing its right to stay with the two forwards but you cant expect to win a game with 10 men and have to hope to nick something but make it hard for the 11 men to break down the 10 men.

Ill always remember being 10 men against Huddersfield when Eastwood getting sent off and some fan in the East stand screaming at Maher for not being attacking enough and after the game Tilson coming running over and telling the fan that we were at 1-1 and didnt want to lose what we had.
Agree 100%

If you want to see the usual moaning, go to the OMT and read all the criticisms of PB for taking off Pigot and Cassidy and bringing on Timlin and Corr. Thank goodness we have a manager who knows more than all these armchair managers.

Come on..............we'd have won it by two clear goals if he had kept them on! :winking:

I was listening to Paul Clark on bbc Essex,who unlike most co-commentators cf Lawrenson,Townsend,Owen etc. really knows what he is talking about and he,while not wishing to seem over critical,clearly thought it was wrong to have Corr as the only striker as with two up front we had been on top and more likely to score with 10 men.

Any thoughts any views on how cassidy played today
He seemed mobile but struggled to get any foothold in the game. I think it's far to early to judge him. I saw him try a few flick on etc with piggot, I think if he can get an understanding with Piggot, they could be a lively combination that will cause defenders some problems, and also stretch defences to bring our midfielders more into the game

I was listening to Paul Clark on bbc Essex,who unlike most co-commentators cf Lawrenson,Townsend,Owen etc. really knows what he is talking about and he,while not wishing to seem over critical,clearly thought it was wrong to have Corr as the only striker as with two up front we had been on top and more likely to score with 10 men.

Even so, playing 441 with 10 men is a standard formation most managers would revert to when you are down to 10 men.

Whilst we may have been doing ok at that point as the game wore on our midfield would have been stretched more and more and would have tired. Even with the 441 formation Bentley had to pull of a good save to keep us in front and we had to clear one off the line.

As it is Brown made a decision and it was one which most managers would have made, so I dont understand the uproar.

If you want to see the usual moaning, go to the OMT and read all the criticisms of PB for taking off Pigot and Cassidy and bringing on Timlin and Corr. Thank goodness we have a manager who knows more than all these armchair managers.

But, It's all about fans thoughts, feelings and emotions during the game and we react as the game goes on to the changing circumstances. It's not rocket science to understand that, surely?

Well done PB, got the subs spot on. keeping the 2 new boys upfront initially occupied there back 4 but Oxford started to gamble and push their full backs on. So an extra midfielder and fresh legs up front was a great move. Then came the big surprise Jack payne, No one's mentioned the point that he made a great clearance off the line within a minute of coming on and nearly nicked a fourth late on.
Just to clear up the PB incident. Oxford were quite happy to allow an idiot to sit right next to the bench and abuse PB for nearly 90mins and when he rightfully celebrates the winner the fourth official makes a big deal about it. PB sat 4 rows back and suddenly 4 stewards, led by a right jobs worth decide they'll flex some muscle and force him to another tier.
I was a guest in the directors box today and we took similar type of abuse from very early on, funny at first, didn't react as we obviously couldn't upset RM by leaping the wall an steaming in :winking: By half time enough was enough and words were said. Back in the lounge a guy from Oxford spoke to us, he thought it funny, seemed to like our response. Would appear this little group regularly abuse the other teams directors box and are not used to any one sticking up for themselves. So when Bazza scored I also had a bit of a PB moment. Having said that the rest of the Oxford staff treated us great and what a brilliant game..... If you're all going to Pompey clap your hands.

This. Brown made his changes too early, and at a time when we were still on top, and invited Oxford on to us. They were then pretty unlucky not to score (three cleared off the line before we scored, Bents pulling off a brilliant save after we scored). He's done this before and we've paid for it. His players, with some help from a pretty inept Oxford side, have pulled him out of a hole and though I am delighted with the win and the passion of the players, it makes me feel slightly nauseous to see Tango being praised for brilliant substitutions. I am in total agreement with Paul Clark.

"But the point I was trying to make was the knee jerk reactions and insults to PB, especially during matches is embarrassing at times. "

True enough, but this was a particularly exciting match and kneejerk reactions will happen in such circumstances. I agree that PB gets a great deal of unnecessary stick. I think he's doing a pretty good job, even if I can't fathom his thinking behind some of his substitutions - he obviously knew what he was doing today and, to be fair to them, most of the nay-sayers acknowledged that they had been hasty and incorect in their condemnation.

So we finally stick a few in the net and people still find reasons to bash the manager, there are often reasons to do this but not today. Let's just enjoy the win eh?

Criticising Brown for switching to 4-4-1 in the 60th min, is imho pretty silly, as most managers would have gone 4-4-1 when Deegan got sent off in the 33rd min, especially away from home.

Even so, playing 441 with 10 men is a standard formation most managers would revert to when you are down to 10 men.

Whilst we may have been doing ok at that point as the game wore on our midfield would have been stretched more and more and would have tired. Even with the 441 formation Bentley had to pull of a good save to keep us in front and we had to clear one off the line.

As it is Brown made a decision and it was one which most managers would have made, so I dont understand the uproar.

from a personal point listening on the radio it sounded like we were the better team and were looking the most likely to score- therefore there was a reasonable reason to keep the formation the same (most teams playing with 10 men away are not the better team and the one that looks the most likely to score- according to the radio broadcast that we both listened to) . After the change we seemed to come under more pressure from the new formation which suggested it was a poor change. - and then of course we scored which to some will 'prove' it was the right choice.

Back