• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown not necessarily good at picking strikers. His first 3 key picks for goalscorers for promotion at the past seasons opening were Barnard, Coulthirst and Weston! I believe we would have made the automatics if we had a better strike force for the first half of the season
By his own admission knows nothing about Goalscoring. clean sheets gets him into orgasm territory. Goodbye to Weston and Barnard for me for starters. Definitely keep Prosser who was getting better and better. Weston let go at League 1 level, not up to it ?

Depends on whether Barrett stays ... If he goes then Prosser may slot in....just a theory.

Do you really think any player (other than maybe improving young players) not good enough to get in a League Two team will make a significant impact in the much higher standard of League One ?

Surely if players become available that are better than those we have, then we should sign them. Regardless of their position? I agree we shouldn't stockpile midfielders for the sake of it, but we should strive to improve every area.
Agree but our budget won't stretch as far now. In League 2 we could afford to do it because we were one of the top spenders but that won't be the case anymore. Let's say we have the budget for 4 quality League 1 players, would you sacrifice a new striker for another midfielder? I think that's something we need to do but in the long run, first we need to shore up the areas where we are weakest and then look to improve the whole squad.

I honestly think Corr will leave,ok league 2 forward but never the lone forward,Barry will probably demand a two year deal and I cannot see Ron giving that.League 1 will be a bridge too far for Bazza Imo.

I honestly think Corr will leave,ok league 2 forward but never the lone forward,Barry will probably demand a two year deal and I cannot see Ron giving that.League 1 will be a bridge too far for Bazza Imo.

Yeah most promoted sides do all they can to get rid of their top goalscorer from the previous season.

I would keep Barrett as a player/defensive coach, also his experience at playing at a higher level will benefit the team. I thought he was solid Saturday and will still do a good job in league 1.

I would keep Barrett as a player/defensive coach, also his experience at playing at a higher level will benefit the team. I thought he was solid Saturday and will still do a good job in league 1.

Do we really need a defensive coach ? Personally feel that Coughlans involvement in the back room staff is massively underestimated !

Do you really think any player (other than maybe improving young players) not good enough to get in a League Two team will make a significant impact in the much higher standard of League One ?

Yep - I think someone like Jack Payne who isn't an automatic selection at League 2 level may find it slightly easier further up the pyramid.

#

Our back room staff is large already. Are we getting rid of Coughlan then?

When we last got promoted from 4th tier what changes did Tilly make ? I can't remember.

We hardly made any. Of the players who played any real amount of matches the previous year Tilly only got rid of Tes Bramble, Lawrie Dudfield and Nicky Nicolau, all of whom had been on the fringes all season. We swapped Michael Kightly out for Mitchell Cole too, a move which was universally heralded on here as an upgrade.

Shaun Goater came in and Luke Guttridge got more game time having been signed on deadline day the previous season but aside from that and Carl Pettefer dropping out it was as you were, with Sodje and JCR joining mid-season.

I really don't think League One is the step up that some seem to think that it is. I saw Notts County vs Scunthorpe in March as I was in Nottingham on a stag. Notts County ended up going down on the last day but I'd back us to beat both of those sides three times out of five. I know it was ten years ago but lets not forget that we won this league with Che Wilson at left back and the likes of Lewis Hunt and James Lawson seen as decent squad players. If you've a squad with character and spirit then why break that up?

Want to Keep:

Bentley
White (again, I've been a critic - Mainly coz his ex col U - but he cares for this club and does has a good delivery when going forward and solid defender)
Barrett (last year - back up and experience for Bolger)
Bolger
Coker
Timlin
Deegan (unless we can find a similar player)
Worrell
Payne
Weston (I surprise myself)
Thompson (Mainly loan him to league 2 if not starting 11)

Gone:
Barnard
Prosser
Atkinson
Hurst
Corr (Maybe keep him first couple of month to see if he can get into team - then loan out/sell to Yeovil if not cutting it @ league one)

Need:

3 Strikers
1 CB
2 Wingers

Wish list:
Pig
Cassidy
Mclaughin

using that logic we need to get rid of 10 more as well as 'they aren't good enough to get in a league Two team' !

People have short memories, he was first choice before the red card and then the concussion, but that Gave Barrett his chance and he took it and rightfully kept the shirt.

Yep - I think someone like Jack Payne who isn't an automatic selection at League 2 level may find it slightly easier further up the pyramid.

I include him in the "improving young players" category.

Last time we went up from the playoffs we had players who were better equipped for the step up in virtually every position bar goalkeeper and leftback. The tremendous finish to the season has left Brown with a lot of work to do.

Yeah most promoted sides do all they can to get rid of their top goalscorer from the previous season.

Barry has made 65 appearances in league 1 scoring 10,he was obviously much younger ,much fitter and probably slightly faster,as I said Barry will want a 2 year deal to safeguard his own finances,His future will be elsewhere as I dont think Ron will give him the deal.

I include him in the "improving young players" category.

Last time we went up from the playoffs we had players who were better equipped for the step up in virtually every position bar goalkeeper and leftback. The tremendous finish to the season has left Brown with a lot of work to do.

Dan better than Darryl:omg: Wiggy won't like that.

I have been nice to everyone today because we have just won promotion. The thing is we did it with John White leading from the front. So in keeping with my 'be nice' day, I don't think you could be more wrong.

You have got to be kidding me strike force... What a stupid thing to say.

Agree with you Rootshallbloke.

I'd love the club to add an Australian.

Just one would be nice.

Lowry, Herd, McDonald, Bozanic, and others.

Ok so now the season is finally over and the fairytale of yesterday is still firmly in the memory we can turn our attention to next season in a higher division.

As we know squads in the lower divisions can change quite drastically over the summer. Who would you like us to keep and believe is good enough to adapt to League One and for whom might it be a step too far?

Thoughts?

For me, I'd keep:

Bentley - Promotion should keep the wolves away until at least January as Dan can get some experience in a higher division with us as undisputed no 1.

White - Captain and already has League One experience with the Scum.

Coker - Been one of the best fullbacks in League Two this year so think he could comfortably play at the next level.

Bolger - Alongside an experienced partner in Barrett at the tail end of this season Cian's come on leaps and bounds and looks really solid now.

Worrall - Arguably our best outfield player and certainly key to our attacking play. Must keep and could have moved on if we didn't win yesterday IMO.

Lenny - Not been quite as good this season as the year before IMO but still got so much potential. You forget how young he is so isn't even at his peak yet.

Timlin - This year's playoffs have really highlighted how vital Tims is to us. In a way that sickening head clash did some good by showing to the wider football community what a warrior he is. If he could add goals to his game he'd have been in League One already.

Atkinson - Surprised Bradford saw Atko as surplus to requirements at this stage a couple of years back. I think WA is a vital player to have in your squad, bit of a lower league James Milner and great for away games.

Corr - Will be interesting to see how Barry does in League One. He's played there before with Swindon but I think he might need a lot more support scoring wise at the next level. He might get 10 so would need someone else chipping in regularly.

Payne - Real breakthrough season for Jack and has really established himself as a first team player this year. Has so much potential and whilst there's still some route one sides in League One the standard is obviously better. I'd expect him to get more time on the ball but be up against better defences for him to try and unlock. Like Corr will be interesting to see how he does.

The rest of the squad I'm unsure would be up to League One football so I think we'd need to strengthen if we want to stay up comfortably. Sadly that includes Adam Barrett as I think his lack of pace could be exposed more against better forwards. But I'd probably keep him around as a squad player. Harsh but you've gotta take sentiment out of it.

Thoughts?
I agree with all you have written except John White whom I would have as back up only. For me he is too slow for division one, and never seems to stop the opposition player from crossing the ball.
one thing is for sure, we need a creative centre midfield player and a couple of strikers who are dangerous and will frighten the life out of Opposition defenders!

Back