• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not sure we need another striker, but then again, they're not setting the world alight at the moment. No harm in having a look, if nothing else it gives all the strikers a massive kick up the arse in training. They're all going to want to show Brown they're better than Cole and it will definitely start putting some pressure on them. I reckon Brown's done well here.

Ex England and West Ham striker Carlton Cole training with Southend United

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown is running the rule over former England international Carlton Cole.

More...

Interesting comment from his last club

"We have decided to let [Cole] go because he has failed to perform as expected," manager Umuh Muchtar told DPA.
"Maybe he was injured before joining but he wasn't honest about it."

I thought he was on Billericay radar, when they were making the big signings ?

To even up the argument, Coles reply
"I have only started two games out of, I think, 16 games, because he has not wanted to play me," Cole said.
"So I have come on three times and I have only started two games. Me and Michael Essien, we didn't have a preseason, so we have had to try and play catch up.
"We are in a bad position anyway, so he is just trying to point fingers, [rather than blame] his bad management

To add some further insight, I do know that the Indonesian League appears to be a disorganised mess and I've heard a few horror stories of players experiences there. So that would seem to ring true.

We've had plenty of people "train" with us over the years - sometimes it is purely a fitness thing. He's friends with Anton so let's hope this is just helping him out, otherwise we really might be signing Ray Parlour, finally, sometime soon!

Poor man's Frank Nouble ? :stunned:

Maybe Anton brought him along so that Anton wouldnt be last in the running at Boots + Laces !!! :winking:

To be fair for the past 2 matches someone with Carlton Cole's skills would have been just perfect for us --- belting the ball up to Cox's neck just to avoid playing along the divotted turf really hasnt been good to watch. If Cole is even half fit he can do a job for us up there.

Rich mans Frank Nouble.

Not sure we need another striker, but then again, they're not setting the world alight at the moment. No harm in having a look, if nothing else it gives all the strikers a massive kick up the arse in training. They're all going to want to show Brown they're better than Cole and it will definitely start putting some pressure on them. I reckon Brown's done well here.

Our strikers aren't setting the world alight but some have form for criminal damage and fraud.

Brown is becoming the Harry Redknapp of the lower leagues. If he wants to sign another striker it begs the question why he gave contract extensions to Fortune and Robinson. If we are going to sign another striker I'd prefer it to be a youngster from a higher division on loan.

I can see it all now...Phil explains to the masses that CC is demanding too much....after wrangling Cole signs an initial 1 month deal,4 days into that deal the club proudly announce an extension has been offered with Carlton penning a 2 year deal,on debut Carlton comes off the bench and tweaks everything...shock horror he is now laid up for several months.

Undeterred the club begin looking at Andy Cole and Kevin Keegan to bolster the attack.

Brown is becoming the Harry Redknapp of the lower leagues. If he wants to sign another striker it begs the question why he gave contract extensions to Fortune and Robinson. If we are going to sign another striker I'd prefer it to be a youngster from a higher division on loan.

Has he got any dogs?

Planning for the future obviously!

genuine question - what does Bob Shaw do? Ba from a French scout, Hendrie ex loan, Turner from FIFA 15 , Kightly an ex player - opposition play in a 'way' suggesting that we were unprepared.

The modern day 'scout' is not just employed to look at potential signings, there's others to do that. In our case PB and Coughlan. The main job is to watch the next opposition. So Bob Shaw will be probably be watching Rochdale this Saturday whilst Rochdale's scout will be at Gillingham. They have their pads out to note any set piece routines and players strengths etc.

Having said that, there was scout from Spurs who had come to watch Dru Yearwood v Blackburn.....He sat back and enjoyed the game.

On Saturday Mick Harford was at the RH to watch a couple of lads from Plymouth (well that's what he claimed). I believe he works for Luton but has certainly made quite a few trips to the Hall in the last 3 years.

Carlton Michael George Cole is an English professional footballer who plays as a striker. He last played for Liga 1 club Persib Bandung. He scored 51 goals in 289 Premier League appearances for four clubs. Wikipedia

Born: 12 October 1983 (age 33), Croydon

Height: 1.91 m

Current team: Persib Bandung (#12 / Forward)

Salary: 728,000 GBP (2012)

Granted that was some time ago.....but Lordy , Lordy Ron.....have you won the lottery :omg:

Carlton Michael George Cole is an English professional footballer who plays as a striker. He last played for Liga 1 club Persib Bandung. He scored 51 goals in 289 Premier League appearances for four clubs. Wikipedia

Born: 12 October 1983 (age 33), Croydon

Height: 1.91 m

Current team: Persib Bandung (#12 / Forward)

Salary: 728,000 GBP (2012)

Granted that was some time ago.....but Lordy , Lordy Ron.....have you won the lottery :omg:

He could be so good for us

Ray Parlour tells a story about player nicknames. On joining the England squad Shola Ameobi was asked about his nickname at Newcastle. Ameobi said he did not have one. Somewhat amazed, Parlour said: "but you must have one".
Ameobi still claimed not to have a nickname.
"OK" said Parlour. "Then what does Bobby Robson call you"?
Ameobi replied: "Carlton Cole"!

An upgrade on marc antoine fortune! Seriously? Fortune is a quality player!! Do u go to southend games?

Comment from his Celtic debut:

"Cole looked destined to score when he pounced on a rebound with the game ebbing to conclusion. Instead, he failed to properly control the ball and fell over in the area, accidentally pushed the ball towards goal with his hand as he rolled along the ground before Inverness defender Danny Devine inexplicably touched it past his own goalkeeper".

Back