• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Gifted - A mathmatical genius 7 yr old living with her uncle is sent to a "normal" school. Borders on the sickly sweet (made Mrs MK cry), but the performances pull it back from a Channel 5 movie. 8/10

Another vote for the Green Mile despite the fact that I like Tom Hanks more as a human than an actor. However two I finally watched overnight on the plane and it is Britain at its best.

Their Finest. 7/10. I wasn't so sure I was going to enjoy this and 7 is maybe a bit harsh because the movie was paced pretty well and a decent plot but the down marks for me was for an unnecessarily overacting Bill Nighy. The film is not as predictable as you may think.

I, Daniel Blake. 9/10. Superbly written and acted and a damning indictment of life on the tough side. Not sure how accurate it was but I can well believe the mindless bureaucracy, the needless form filling and assessments by non-professionals. A sit up and thank your lucky stars film definitely recommended

Spiderman Homecoming : 7/10. Solid Entry into the MCU for Spidey, Keaton was great as The Vulture and there was one scene with him and Spidey that had DeNiro/Pacino in Heat levels of tension. Glad they didn't go back to square one with Peter Parker gets bitten by Spider, Uncle Ben dies etc etc. Best Spidey since Spiderman 2 (2004)

War for The Planet Of The Apes: 8/10. This has been a great trilogy and the cgi effect chimps still have me memorised, unlike the the iffy cgi Peter Cushing in Rogue One. Quite a brave choice for a big blockbuster that most of the film is subtitled with the chimps signing to each other.

tomorrow....Dunkirk!

Dunkirk 9/10 - Superb!, doesn't follow the normal war movie formula, there's little or no exposition. My only nitpick was the 3 overlapping timelines of the protagonists were a bit confusing until I read up on it later on. Harry Styles actually does a solid job, and doesn't sing! I think I will try and see it again and seek out an IMAX viewing this time.

Dunkirk 9/10 - Superb!, doesn't follow the normal war movie formula, there's little or no exposition. My only nitpick was the 3 overlapping timelines of the protagonists were a bit confusing until I read up on it later on. Harry Styles actually does a solid job, and doesn't sing! I think I will try and see it again and seek out an IMAX viewing this time.

That's maybe why the film hasn't gone down so well in the States!
Going to Walthamstow Empire Friday for this - really looking forward to it.

On my list for tomorrow.

Rogue One 6/10 and that's generous. Entertaining enough but far far too many stupid one liners referring to the original which were not required. Not sure how much further they can go on with this. Back to speaking lobsters while Forest Whitaker's character, Saw Gerrera, should have had more of a story line. At one point I thought it was turning into a episode of Monkey.
Wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again.

Went to see Dunkirk at the Odeon in Southend today and it really is superb.

The film gives the full horror of Dunkirk by showing three over-lapping stories of a solider on the beach, an RAF pilot in a spitfire and a little ship going from the south coast to Dunkirk and back. The thing is the soldier was on the beach for a week, the boat trip lasted a day or so and the pilot was an hour, but the three were linked together very well. There is no character development but there doesn't need to be. Also, there is very little dialogue. But I was transfixed for the entire film and I really did feel I was there. I had tears during the first half an hour or so as I realised the hell of Dunkirk.

Go and see it but expect to be exhausted when you leave. This is very intense and not an easy watch. There is no blood or guts like in Band of Brothers but it is a tough watch all the same.

Afterwards I went to St Clements church in Leigh were there is a memorial to the fisherman or Leigh who went to Dunkirk and never came back. RIP fellas, see you in Valhalla.

Raw- french horror, where a vegetarian University freshy eats a bit of raw meat and gets a taste for meat....which goes a bit out of hand. Stomach churning stuff, but damn good. 8/10

Memento - 8/10 - Very odd film but thoroughly enjoyable but also slightly confusing at times. You have to pay full attention to understand all that is going on but gripping throughout.

Memento - 8/10 - Very odd film but thoroughly enjoyable but also slightly confusing at times. You have to pay full attention to understand all that is going on but gripping throughout.

Not seen Dunkirk but I think it's Nolan's best work.

Ive also ordered a copy of it on the strength of enjoying Dunkirk.Missed it when it came out-friends rave about it.

Back