• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Oxford Utd vs Southend Utd 29th February 2020 3:00pm

What's your starting 11 for Saturday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sadly, I can't see anything other than at least a 3 goal loss. I'm actually quite nervous that this one could be another Doncaster scoreline. I can well and truly see that happening again at least once before the season is over.

On assumption that the 2 ex-Macc players register in time, this is the team I’d like to see:

Gunnarrson/Seadon
Elvis—Vassell—Dieng—Shaughnessy—Clifford
Demi—Milligan—Osadebe
Macca—Kelman

Oxford seem to have refound their mojo after a dodgy spell. Quality attack and impact players off the bench, can only see a heavy loss. They beat us at Roots Hall barely getting out of first gear.

Where is anyone going for pre-match beers, not been to the kassam for a few years and last time there was an old pub called the priory but looks like that has since shut

There’s a couple of pubs in the local area (the George in Littlemore is about a 10 min walk and away fans are ok in there)...

Last edited:
I see Karl Robinson is being 'linked' with the Blackpool vacancy and has the hump with his chairman that they've approached Oxford but the chairman didn't tell him. One can only hope Robinson throws his toys and walks out on Friday night... otherwise I fear we'll be on the end of a thrashing, basis the way Oxford have leapt up the table in recent weeks.

If we can get 5 points from the next 7 games id say that's a decent return, unfortunately i don;t see any of those points being gained on Saturday

Smith
Shaunessy Dieng Vassell
Elvis Mantom Osadebe Milligan Clifford
Kelman McLaughlin

Gunnarsson is staying for another 7 days so he'll be playing. Does that mean Ron doesn't expect to pay up this week so we can't sign Ted and the two Maccs players yet or is he just going to keep Ted waiting?

Cant pay if he got no money,and dont think SOL wants to buy any shares in the club cheap either

Makes you wonder if RM has no money to pay the Taxman now ,how during the off season is he going to pay the players wages with no money coming in .

Makes you wonder if RM has no money to pay the Taxman now ,how during the off season is he going to pay the players wages with no money coming in .

Maybe by then all of our players will be so fed up they leave...

I’ll fully expect more players to be let go in preparation for L2, the likes of Demetriou, Mantom and Oxley .. which will drive down the wage bill a little more. I honestly think (for now) the policy of paying high wages and offering long contracts is off the table. Any incoming players will be on short term contracts, loans or free agents. It’s going to be a real test for Campbell, as what he wants and what he’ll get will be very different.

I’ll fully expect more players to be let go in preparation for L2, the likes of Demetriou, Mantom and Oxley .. which will drive down the wage bill a little more. I honestly think (for now) the policy of paying high wages and offering long contracts is off the table. Any incoming players will be on short term contracts, loans or free agents. It’s going to be a real test for Campbell, as what he wants and what he’ll get will be very different.

Oxley and Demetriou I think are under contract which is a problem because they are both big earners.

Oxley and Demetriou I think are under contract which is a problem because they are both big earners.
I'm pretty sure something can be arranged as I don't think either will want to play L2 football, some kind of mutual agreement as per Cox and Kiernan even if it involves a pay off .. which will of course impact any budget for incoming players .. Ron must be hoping for plenty of season card sales as he's juggling plates. I can see staff and players not being paid again but hopefully we can ride the storm and get to August in one piece.

I'm pretty sure something can be arranged as I don't think either will want to play L2 football, some kind of mutual agreement as per Cox and Kiernan even if it involves a pay off .. which will of course impact any budget for incoming players .. Ron must be hoping for plenty of season card sales as he's juggling plates. I can see staff and players not being paid again but hopefully we can ride the storm and get to August in one piece.
It’s not just getting to August. Unless there isa significant injection of cash from someone or somewhere this situation will the norm. Light at the end of the tunnel seems a long way away .

Well if people are putting vassell and Osadebe in their teams you may as well put Messi and Ronaldo too, just as much chance of playing!

I don't think Vassell is/was (TISWAS!) 100% fit, so I highly doubt even if he signs (hahahahahaha!!!!!!) that he would start.

If by some miracle they do sign before Saturday, I'd expect them on the bench.

SOUTHEND United manager Sol Campbell is unsure if Oxford United will be affected by the speculation surrounding their manager Karl Robinson this weekend.

More...

Back