• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think it's interesting timing too, after the end of the regular football league season. No chance of large scale back-lashes on the terrace. Maybe it's down to us to sign a few chants in the play-offs!

Stupid idea. If eventually, you get all the "B" teams sitting pretty at the top of League 1, unable to get promoted, it means then that 11th & 12th get promoted, with teams placed 13th-16th in the play-offs. The bottom 4 go down in League 1 (21st-24th) meaning that only 4 teams, 17th-20th, would finish in "mid-table".

It would also probably affect the JPT, if it didn't affect it, the FA would get rid of the JPT altogether. We would all rather see a proper team win it than a "B" team...

I think it's interesting timing too, after the end of the regular football league season. No chance of large scale back-lashes on the terrace. Maybe it's down to us to sign a few chants in the play-offs!

Also Dyke was waiting for Brentford to be promoted to Championship!

The football conference have released a statement saying they weren't even consulted on the matter. Shocker.

Peterbrough's chairman clearly fuming about it.

Worth following on twitter @DMAC102

Would be nice to hear other league club's come out.

I love an intelligent debate and Chase has just cut straight to the................:thumbsup:

haha, there is no need for an 'intelligent' debate on it. It's the most ridiculous idea if they want more 'homegrown' talent on the pitch at competitive level put a cap on foreign players in the premier league rather than destory lower league football.

"I'm buzzing for Stoke B away on Saturday" is something no-one will ever say ever ever ever ever.

Peterbrough's chairman clearly fuming about it.

Worth following on twitter @DMAC102

Would be nice to hear other league club's come out.

The chairman of Luton Town has been all over this since yesterday afternoon and on R4 Today and Radio 5 Live this morning.

He has categorically made it known - as he is on the Board of the Conference - that the FA did not consult with the Football Conference and the first they knew about it was when a draft was leaked last week. The first time they got to see the report was yesterday morning at their board meeting, just 3 or 4 hours before the report was released.

From their Facebook page

Town managing director Gary Sweet said "It doesn't matter how smart the England kit is, or how many gold stars it may show, if the beating heart is ripped out of the body wearing it."

Got Radio 5 on here and a Braintree fan rang in with a good point. His words were similar to...

"Can you imagine playing Arsenal/Chelsea 'B' team and getting trounced week in week out? We want to see competitive matches, not a regular 6-0 defeat".

have to admit the whole thing is a clueless idea.

Why would Man City B playing against Forest Green Rovers instead of playing Liverpool B help England become good? Just have a reserve league like the U21 league.

Won't Man.City B full of non English players anyway? They managed to run up a 56 million last season, this is more of a problem to the English game.

Won't Man.City B full of non English players anyway? They managed to run up a 56 million last season, this is more of a problem to the English game.

It really isn't. How Manchester City run their finances should be no issue of anyone elses so long as they are not living beyond their means, which they are not.

Got Radio 5 on here and a Braintree fan rang in with a good point. His words were similar to...

"Can you imagine playing Arsenal/Chelsea 'B' team and getting trounced week in week out? We want to see competitive matches, not a regular 6-0 defeat".

Never mind Braintree, it's Arsenal's first team who want to be worried about 6-0 defeats to Chelsea :smile:

It really isn't. How Manchester City run their finances should be no issue of anyone elses so long as they are not living beyond their means, which they are not.
disagree there, as its just about getting better foreign players, which means all other teams have to do the same, and therefore the English players struggle to get in top sides. Although its fine by me as love watching England fail

They would obviously benefit more if it wasn't just a trickle.

I actually thought I'd deleted the word trickle because I knew someone would pick up on that. It isn't a trickle. Most clubs in England will have a high proportion of players who have come through the system at the top clubs and that proportion will grow with the changes in recent years. A lot of SUFC legends have come through the system at top clubs. That the top clubs want to pick up the bill for youth development isn't necessarily something for the rest of us to fear.
Completely disagree. That is just naive if you think such arguments are going to get anywhere with the powers that be.

Maybe they wouldn't but at least they'd be honest. Supporters Direct don't care about the bigger picture. They care about their clubs and are as selfish in that regard as the big clubs are being. Almost everyone associated with football from Premier League chairmen to lower league supporters are primarily concerned with the wellbeing of their own club.

disagree there, as its just about getting better foreign players, which means all other teams have to do the same, and therefore the English players struggle to get in top sides. Although its fine by me as love watching England fail

I don't understand the mentalitry of wanting England to fail but regardless, sounds like your issue should be with clubs who spend what they don't have rather than a club like City who could afford to spend a hundred times more than they do.

Anyone able to create a large #SayNoToLeague3 flag that we can unfurl at Burton on Sunday. If not, a chant from TBV would be good !!

I don't understand the mentalitry of wanting England to fail but regardless, sounds like your issue should be with clubs who spend what they don't have rather than a club like City who could afford to spend a hundred times more than they do.
I used to love England, but watching them in the last 10 years has been akin to having a red hot poker up your arse. When you have had cocks like Terry, Cole and Rooney playing for them at stages hardly appeals. Heres to them coming home early from Brazil :happy:

In my view the whole situation has been created by the greed of the Premier League. When it was created one of the benefits the clubs talked about was how it would benefit the England team. Anyone with half a brain (even me, and I was only in my early 20s then) could see that that argument simply didn't stack up, and the ONLY reason was because the big clubs didn't like sharing TV revenue with the rest of us.

So, we then had a situation where lower league clubs were being starved of much needed revenue. One of the only ways to alleviate this was to try and take advantage of any windfall when a big club wanted to buy a player. For that reason the lower league clubs started to demand probably excessive amounts for their players. You then heard Premier League managers "complain" that it was cheaper to buy a proven player from abroad than it was to buy an unproven English player from a lower league club. This is what led to the two things. Firstly the issue with few English players making the step up, and secondly it is what led to the change the PL brought in a few seasons ago limiting how much they have to pay for young players.

However, what has also exacerbated the problem is the pressure PL managers (and all managers for that matter) are under to achieve results. They simply can't afford now to take the risk with unproven players even if they are English. And this is where I see the idea of feeder clubs being a huge red herring. If players in lower league clubs aren't able/allowed to make the step up, how is loaning us clubs a few players going to make any difference? Take John Egan and Jakub Sokolik as examples. AFAIA they have both been let go by their parent club because they're not good enough. How is that going to change under a feeder system? These players are going to end up in the same position.

If the FA had any balls it would ensure that the financial playing field between the PL and the FL was levelled. That simple thing in my opinion would go a long way to solving many of the issues with football today. Instead they are picking on the lower league clubs who are the victims in this, and leaving alone the perpetrators, i.e. the PL clubs.

Moreover, the FA have finally set up their training centre, but that is about 20 years too late. They haven't even given it a chance to prove itself yet, and already they're already assuming it will be a failure and looking for a solution. The problem is that they're heaping mistake upon mistake rather than looking at the root cause.

In that respect the FA remind me of the middle managers from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books when they adopt the leaf as a form of currency, and when people start going round with wheelbarrows picking every leaf in sight causing massive inflation they come to the conclusion that the only way to deal with the it is to conduct a huge programme of deforestation.

Back