• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Population of London about 8mill odd ..Southend 166.000 so no contest on amount of cinemas and that is without taking London tourism into account. London is where people go for that Special night out..I doubt Southend is quite the same.

Southend =Dead end street. Basildon=All surrounding areas. So I would say yes they have a much bigger catchment area than us.

But the 4 miles radius of me doesn't cover the entire population of London nor the touristy bits like the West End.

Within my borough (population approx 200,000) there are at least three cinemas, probably more (I'm a bit hazy on boundary lines) and that's despite there being alternative cinema options on the edges of all the adjoining boroughs when the likes of Rochford and Castle Point don't have (to my knowledge) any.

I agree Southend is dead end street, but that's because of the lack of options not the lack of catchment area. I think it probably needs an art-house cinema more than a multiplex though.

Thinking about it more, there is no-way this town can support 3 complexes. What say 25 odd screens? The Empire in Bas has 18 and does well as it is the only one there. This is a **** or bust moment for the council. I just can't see how they can support their own scheme and allow RM to open another Cinema close by. It is just not viable.

Is that your gut feeling, or is it based on any research?

Just as a comparison, Sheffield's population is 550,000. If you add in Rotherham this increases to 800,000. All other neighbouring large towns (Chesterfield and Barnsley) have their own cinemas.

Between Sheffield and Rotherham there are 3 large multiplex cinemas (Odeon, Cineworld and Vue). There is also a 4 screen indie cinema, a 3 screen boutique cinema and a new 9 screen multiplex being built.

I definitely think there's room in Southend for another cinema. Personally I'd love to see an indie cinema right in the centre of town, but I guess I'm really lucky to have the fantastic Showroom cinema on my doorstep, where you can take pints of ale and glasses of wine into the screen to watch a great film without ********s and kids wrecking the place.

But the 4 miles radius of me doesn't cover the entire population of London nor the touristy bits like the West End.

Within my borough (population approx 200,000) there are at least three cinemas, probably more (I'm a bit hazy on boundary lines) and that's despite there being alternative cinema options on the edges of all the adjoining boroughs when the likes of Rochford and Castle Point don't have (to my knowledge) any.

I agree Southend is dead end street, but that's because of the lack of options not the lack of catchment area. I think it probably needs an art-house cinema more than a multiplex though.

Castle Point does. Movie Starr on Canvey is very good and excellent value as well at only 3.50 a ticket.

Cinema's are like Supermarkets....a dying breed.

Pointless addition to the plans IMO and not quite sure why Ron is including one.

Disagree with quite a few here. I think 3 cinemas in Southend could work. Cinema going is very much back in "fashion", and CineWorld are class. I have an unlimited card and the 2 I visit (Bedford and MK) are always rammed.

They also attract similar restaurant chains, which would also fit in with pre-match food. A bit like sixfields.

Ron might have had a good idea here...:unsure:

Disagree with quite a few here. I think 3 cinemas in Southend could work. Cinema going is very much back in "fashion", and CineWorld are class. I have an unlimited card and the 2 I visit (Bedford and MK) are always rammed.

They also attract similar restaurant chains, which would also fit in with pre-match food. A bit like sixfields.

Ron might have had a good idea here...:unsure:

This is a brilliant website to help us decide if this is a good idea or not:

ICO

This is a brilliant website to help us decide if this is a good idea or not:

ICO

And my beloved Showroom is the main photo!

Serious, if you're into cinema and in the area then check out the Showroom. Similarly the Cornerhouse in Manchester.

An indie cinema for Southend would be amazing.

Indeed Ken, it's a ***** area anyway, who wants to be going to a cinema, or their kids going to a cinema on their own, with a red light district literally just yards away?!

The girls have long gone from anywhere around Seaway and the area needs regeneration desperately, this type of project will help with that. There are drink, drug and homeless issues locally but they will drift away once cinema visiting people turn up for a night out, their activities are more likely to be carried out in a clandestine environment than in the public gaze. Parents and children will be perfectly safe, they are now if truth be told.

I can't believe no one has worked it out yet. The new cinema will have exclusive right to Ron's new movie. Ron: Chairman, Lover, Hero. There will be a worldwide demand for showings. Not to mention his very own spin off series, 'Made by Martin'

Cumming Coming soon at the Ronnyplex:

2mn2bn6.jpg

Last edited:
8 years down the line Cineworld announce "We are no longer going to be opening big out of town multi-complexes but instead are concentrating on smaller venues"

:winking:

Well, they sort of started moving in that direction by buying Picturehouse

Well, they sort of started moving in that direction by buying Picturehouse

I think there's definitely beginning to be a distinction between inner-town/city boutique cinemas, and out of town multiplexes (on entertainment sites).

Some are missing the point that the cinema chain is the same for both developments, which realistically they will not do. They will pick one development or the other. Hence the council will then have to find another chain for Seaway which would be very difficult. Also its the wrong place for a cinema out on the edge of town, plus I don't think the town can sustain three cinemas, two maybe tops.

We live in Southend yet go to the Empire in Basildon because its easier than having to put up with the hassle of going into the Town Centre. Easier and free parking, restaurants all around it, whats not to like.

Many multiplex cinemas are now out of town now, its a good move if it comes off as you then guarantee getting restaurants etc to locate next door.

Agree with you that the town doesnt need 3 cinemas, but Fossetts would be the best choice out of the 3 personally.

Roots Hall is more than a stadium. For me, it represents an older and arguably superior model of urban development/ urban life that is now being displaced by development geared more towards the consumer rather than the citizen/resident. The urban model symbolised by Roots Hall-- especially the West Stand entrance and the chaotic market out front of the East-- is much more inclusive, humane and less alienating. The trouble with out of town development is that is also hastens the decline of the old centre, drawing business and cultural activity away from the centre. Maybe it's nostalgia but I love urban centres and the reported decline of Southend (I don't visit so much these days) makes me sad. I loved that place when I was younger. Growing up in suburban Rayleigh, Southend was always a place where I felt freer, a place where I sensed possibilities. You certainly don't get the same sense of excitement, urbanity or frisson of desire/ difference when visiting a sanitised 'leisure park' or 'retail park'. The very idea of the 'leisure park', where people participate in leisure only through consumption (of fast-food, Hollywood blockbuster movies, professional football, ten-pin bowling, mainstream nighthclubs), is kind of depressing. We work all week then we visit the leisure park at the weekend to spend our wages (or worse, we work at the leisure park and can't afford to spend our wages there). The sense of ennui in these places is overwhelming.

We live in Southend yet go to the Empire in Basildon because its easier than having to put up with the hassle of going into the Town Centre. Easier and free parking, restaurants all around it, whats not to like.

Many multiplex cinemas are now out of town now, its a good move if it comes off as you then guarantee getting restaurants etc to locate next door.

Agree with you that the town doesnt need 3 cinemas, but Fossetts would be the best choice out of the 3 personally.

Spot on JamMan and a lot of these set ups have a hotel as well, a travelodge or whatever. Maybe that is in RM's thoughts with regard the main stand.

Roots Hall is more than a stadium. For me, it represents an older and arguably superior model of urban development/ urban life that is now being displaced by development geared more towards the consumer rather than the citizen/resident. The urban model symbolised by Roots Hall-- especially the West Stand entrance and the chaotic market out front of the East-- is much more inclusive, humane and less alienating. The trouble with out of town development is that is also hastens the decline of the old centre, drawing business and cultural activity away from the centre. Maybe it's nostalgia but I love urban centres and the reported decline of Southend (I don't visit so much these days) makes me sad. I loved that place when I was younger. Growing up in suburban Rayleigh, Southend was always a place where I felt freer, a place where I sensed possibilities. You certainly don't get the same sense of excitement, urbanity or frisson of desire/ difference when visiting a sanitised 'leisure park' or 'retail park'. The very idea of the 'leisure park', where people participate in leisure only through consumption (of fast-food, Hollywood blockbuster movies, professional football, ten-pin bowling, mainstream nighthclubs), is kind of depressing. We work all week then we visit the leisure park at the weekend to spend our wages (or worse, we work at the leisure park and can't afford to spend our wages there). The sense of ennui in these places is overwhelming.

You soft sentimental old sod :smile: I am just like you in what you say but we have to accept that times change (not always for the better) and we know that RH is unviable. I'm afraid we both have to learn to embrace modern times even though we secretly like to wallow in nostalgia.

Back