• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Leonard clothes lined, Corr wrestled to the floor by the suicide bomber....the list goes on. Burton are a bunch of cheating thugs who got the better of a very weak ref who was conned time and time again. They time wasted from the 1st minute and the ref waited until the 70th minute to book one of their players for it. Had he done it early doors, then who knows. Every time the keeper made a save, he stayed on the floor for 20 secs cuddling the ball.

That isn't football

Spot on DWB. Why can't they assign the very best referees in the country to these important matches. So much at stake and embarrassing to see cheats prospering. Not a great example for the kids to follow. I think burton were practising time wasting tactics all week. If justice prevails one or two of their will bang their heads for real on rowlets big head.

Can't believe how lucky their 2nd goal was, a clearance just bounced off the back of the blokes head, and fell perfectly. This sort of thing is just plan bad luck.

Plus it was never a free kick in the first place! But that's football dust yourself down and move on.

Talk of Phil Brown being sacked is ridiculous. We will be top three next season with that fella in charge. Has taken a team which we all expected to be mid table, to the play offs and even if we lose Bentley and Leonard (which i hope doesnt happen) that should be atleist one and a half mil in the kitty which is hugely down to Phil building up these young lad's confidence and building the team around them. Sad to see Freddy come on again and struggle, fear the end is approaching for a true blues legend. With a half decent striker to help out Barry and a winger and centre back, I can't see many teams beating us next year.

The better team lost over the 2 legs, Burton are a team full of dirty cheaters, but at the end of the day if we want to get promoted we still have to beat them, and we couldn't. We can moan all we want but we've got to learn to get the better of them unfortunately.

Bentley 7 Good shot stopping, claimed every cross, acted as a leader, distribution not at his best
White 6.5 Skinned once or twice but got forward and was solid
Egan 7 Ref didn't like him but he made some great challenges
Sokolik 7 Calm presence at the back with Egan, did well to win so many headers
Coker 6.5 Probably the worst I've seen him play, but the defence didn't help him there, didn't do badly
Atkinson 6.5 Worked his socks off as usual, but didn't have much of an influence
Timlin 6.5 Calm and distributed well, looked really up for it
Leonard 8 Class performance, everything came through him and fantastic goal
Hurst 6 Same as has been said for weeks, looks tired and lacking the bit of magic he used to have
Corr 7 Was dealt with well by their defence, still managed to make chances and win headers
Straker 7 One of his better days but faded out later on

Subs
Clifford 6 No real impact, sat deep and passed it about but not always to the right people
Eastwood 6.5 Got in the right positions but didn't take any chances
Payne 7 Worked hard and fought for it, did well when running at them, just a bit too weak against this lot

Taking Timlin off and the change of formation killed it for me. They scored almost immediately after but then we never really looked as threatening as we earlier had, maybe the change was too early and just desperation, but we can't fault PB after this season, we never would have expected it at the start of the season and couldn't have done much better.

Wembley will be deserted for the play-off final but that's life, the likes of Stevenage have done it before by playing awful football at a tinpot club, I'm sure there'll be more to follow.

Dust sky ourselves down and come back next season stronger. For me, it's vital we keep Leonard, he's the heart of this team and has saved us time and time again. Obviously we need a few more quality strikers to challenge BBBC for his starting spot and add something a bit different, and if we keep Bentley that would be fantastic, but that'll be hard. My worry is that we'll lose Dan, the two centre backs obviously and Lenny, and that's the spine of the team gone. The more of this 11 we can keep together the better, and if we sign some decent players and keep that spine, I'm convinced we can push for the title next year, if not, we'll have to fight for the play-offs.

Over two games we should had played better we were poor in the second half today let's hope they learn from this and move on

Over the 2 games we failed to score in 3 halves or around 150 minutes including stoppage time which IMO was our downfall.

Over the 2 games we failed to score in 3 halves or around 150 minutes including stoppage time which IMO was our downfall.

Our downfall was conceding their second goal. Hurst was a knob for giving away an unnecessary free kick and the defence went to sleep, but there you go.

Our downfall was conceding their second goal. Hurst was a knob for giving away an unnecessary free kick and the defence went to sleep, but there you go.

Burton scored during 3 halves and we only scored in 1,For sure anybody can blame the ref or silly free kicks time wasting cheating but the sad truth is if you don't score more than your opponent you ain't winning nothing.

Well done to all us Southend United Supporters for getting our Player of the Year choice absolutely spot on. Lenny has been outstanding all season, and was once again today. He is, as Manor 15 said, a Class act and the 'heart' of this team.

Fingers crossed we keep him, and Phil - make him Captain next season. He leads by example and his effort inspires the other players.

Burton scored during 3 halves and we only scored in 1,For sure anybody can blame the ref or silly free kicks time wasting cheating but the sad truth is if you don't score more than your opponent you ain't winning nothing.
FWIW, posting ghost statistics like this isn't really helping your case.

I'd be more convinced if you focused on the reason for our attacking failings (maybe Corr missing that opportunity in the first half, or Hurst not putting in enough quality crosses).

Obviously the total number of goals decides the fate of the tie, but "they scored in more halves"... C'mon you can do better than that!

I agree that we need more firepower and Fred, Barney, and to a lesser degree BBBC, are not the answer. I was not blaming the ref but that free kick was a decisive moment in that game. Had they not scored then I am convinced that we would have gone on to take the tie. Nobody was particularly hopeful before the game that we would score more than one, but we did, and I just think that had it not been for that moment our momentum would have taken us over the winning line.

Well that was depressing glad I am over 7000 miles away and don't have it shoved in my face everywhere I look. :'( I ****ING HATE LEAGUE TWO!!!!

I agree that we need more firepower and Fred, Barney, and to a lesser degree BBBC, are not the answer. I was not blaming the ref but that free kick was a decisive moment in that game. Had they not scored then I am convinced that we would have gone on to take the tie. Nobody was particularly hopeful before the game that we would score more than one, but we did, and I just think that had it not been for that moment our momentum would have taken us over the winning line.

That free kick was a foul !
The unlucky rebound was very unfortunate which fell kindly to their forward which killed us.
Agree regarding the 3 you mentioned though.

And we conceded from two set pieces... Story of our season
Lacked firepower up top... Story of our season

BBBC won everything in the air but nobody is anticipating the knock down, he needs a strike partner!

Leonards goal was a screamer as well!

Back