• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United midfielder Michael Timlin hits out at fans criticising team during 2-

They do have the right. If a player is playing badly or does not put the effort in. Then the crowd have every right to shout out abuse at that player or any number of players. No they would not do that in the street. But this is not the street, it's a football ground where I believe they have every right. I have shouted abuse many times and will continue to do so. Timlin can lump it, or take up badmington. (where I believe abuse is not approved of)

Probably sat near you then at a game,compete turn off !

Are you the bloke who screams abuse whilst filling your mouth with nasty burger..Not pretty.

I couldn't hear any abuse, what with the loud singing and non stop chanting and foot stamping - what an atmosphere Roots Hall conjurors up these days!

Really? You've said you believe they have every right to dish out abuse but you've not given any reason why you think that?

Just a personal view but I think people abusing their own players are generally only expressing disappointment in themselves and their own life's failings.

I do believe that supporters have the right to scream at the top of there lungs and shout almost what ever they want at players. (I do not think they should do it in or around the kids section). I believe that a football ground has in the past and still continues to be the last place a man can really let all his emotions be it total joy or absolute anger just flow freely. I dont get too angry in my personal life but when I sit next to that pitch my blood often boils over. I will not be restricted in holding back how I feel and to be honest I dont care what others think. The comment of your not a real supporter does make me laugh. Look back at the history of southend United going back to the Kursaal ground and it is littered with stories of guys doing and thinking just like me.In fact southend was famous for its free speaking supporters going right back to the war. If you dont want to see and hear mine and others passion flow out without any restrictions and worse if you dont feel it in your soul to get that out. Then I feel sorry for you.
It does not have any effect one way or the other on players. They have had it all their pro football careers. But by god it makes you feel good. Try it next time.

I think one problem with the "I can say what I like crowd" is they drive supporters away. The number of people I know who won't go to Roots Hall because of the foul mouthed nutters who go there is legion. Few people want a rank aggressive attitude and atmosphere in the ground. In the old days you could move away from these people. Now with seating you're well and truly trapped. Perhaps we should have a pen for the nutters. They can then behave in whatever way they like. We won't be near them and can get on with enjoying or muttering about the standard while they go white with rage. They really are quite pathetic really.

I do believe that supporters have the right to scream at the top of there lungs and shout almost what ever they want at players. (I do not think they should do it in or around the kids section). I believe that a football ground has in the past and still continues to be the last place a man can really let all his emotions be it total joy or absolute anger just flow freely. I dont get too angry in my personal life but when I sit next to that pitch my blood often boils over. I will not be restricted in holding back how I feel and to be honest I dont care what others think. The comment of your not a real supporter does make me laugh. Look back at the history of southend United going back to the Kursaal ground and it is littered with stories of guys doing and thinking just like me.In fact southend was famous for its free speaking supporters going right back to the war. If you dont want to see and hear mine and others passion flow out without any restrictions and worse if you dont feel it in your soul to get that out. Then I feel sorry for you.
It does not have any effect one way or the other on players. They have had it all their pro football careers. But by god it makes you feel good. Try it next time.

You feel sorry for me because I don't want to see and hear you shout abuse at players of the team I support?

If you can't control your anger and you need to abuse people to feel good then you should probably feel sorry for yourself. That doesn't sound like a great place to be.

What exactly is it that you feel makes our players fair game for your abuse?

If you're really basing your argument on what people might have considered acceptable in the past, that's pretty shaky ground. I think the rest of the world's moved on just a little bit since the days of the Kursaal and before the war.

As for real 'supporter', the clue's in the blinkin' word!! You should try it next time.

I think you and others who bang on that you have the right are missing a key point. When you do start absusing a player during a match you loose your right to call yourself a 'supporter'. Time and time again managers and players come out saying it doesn't help and has a negative impact on the team . This is no an opinion, it is a fact. Therefore when you scream absuse you are helping the opposition. Not exactly the work of a supporter ! It's ridiculous to say that you can't channel your emotion in a positive manner. It just tales some effort that you are clearly not prepared to put in.

I don't care how many years you have been watching SUF C and how much time and money you and others like you have spent. In my eyes you are not a supporter when you do this.

I think you and others who bang on that you have the right are missing a key point. When you do start absusing a player during a match you loose your right to call yourself a 'supporter'. Time and time again managers and players come out saying it doesn't help and has a negative impact on the team . This is no an opinion, it is a fact. Therefore when you scream absuse you are helping the opposition. Not exactly the work of a supporter ! It's ridiculous to say that you can't channel your emotion in a positive manner. It just tales some effort that you are clearly not prepared to put in.

I don't care how many years you have been watching SUF C and how much time and money you and others like you have spent. In my eyes you are not a supporter when you do this.

Completely agree. Well said

Where does all this come from? Foul, disgusting abuse that should not be leveled at a player, let alone heard by other fans is wrong. Expressing unhappiness at style or quality of play, commitment etc is not. Some who go over the top should wind it in a bit but to say they are any less of a fan is incredulous.

Its not a ****ing contest. 'Oh I never shout abuse, I am so pro my team. I am a proper fan.' Gods sake! Not all fans can agree and are not all the same but fans they are and this club would have been down the gurgler without many varied supporters.

So can we all share our differing opinion without resorting to offensively suggesting this one or that one is not a proper fan?

This, this and this.

How many of the shouters/abusers would approach a large group of young fit men in the street and hurl obscenities at them.

Oh I forgot when you purchase your match day ticket it clearly states "feel free to abuse the players/manager".

I don't agree with it and these fans should be warned regarding their behaviour and if need be even banned.

That's nothing. Guy at co-op messed up with the shelf stacking, and a whole crowd of customers started chanting at him. Then they went home to discuss his performance anonymously on a messageboard for Co-op customers.

That's nothing. Guy at co-op messed up with the shelf stacking, and a whole crowd of customers started chanting at him. Then they went home to discuss his performance anonymously on a messageboard for Co-op customers.
I saw that. , useless ****.. Took me ages to find the fruit n nut behind the bar of milk chocolate.. He was lucky to get out of the aisle alive. .. If that had happened at the co op in west ham .............

I'm not debating whether it is right or wrong to hurl abuse and opinions at a football match but what I do know is that there are many more intimidating grounds than Roots Hall.

Michael Timlin is from South East London (talks like a rude boy) and openly supports Millwall so I am sure he has experienced worse at the New Den. Maybe he is being a little precious in this instance, he is not exactly a perfect role model himself.

I am personally a big Timlin fan and admire his desire and infectious spirit, however he regularly seen barking at his team-mates. If people want to compare a football match to a place of work then I know that I could not walk around my work shouting and given people regular rollocking's.

Also, yes we have won 4 on the bounce (albeit against lowly opponents) but I do think that the players and management need to step up and provide entertainment which in turn would lift the crowd. In turn you would like to think that most stupid comments would stop and the noise would drown out the odd rants from the stands.

I would be far more concerned about what my employer thinks than a fan to be honest. Yes, of course, it is important to impress at all times but no one should be entitled to abuse a player for poor performance. Tell them, sure, but abuse, NO!

I'm not debating whether it is right or wrong to hurl abuse and opinions at a football match but what I do know is that there are many more intimidating grounds than Roots Hall.

Michael Timlin is from South East London (talks like a rude boy) and openly supports Millwall so I am sure he has experienced worse at the New Den.

Just reading through this, most points been made and was just about to say all the above.
I personally think he should have just kept shtum, however harsh and emotive Corr found the comments.

Back