• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What is making you happy today?

A few months ago my wife booked me a three day trip to Israel to visit a friend. When I received the e-ticket I went on the airline website to book my seat, and saw something that really annoyed me. It was a pop up screen that said, "You're entitled to an upgrade...make us an offer".

I couldn't believe how cheeky they were. The dial you use to enter your offer started at £200, but the catch was that the little dial started in the red. It got progressively more orange and then green as you turned the dial and your offer went up, up to a maximum of about £600.

Because I'm perfectly comfortable in economy, but would take an upgrade if I could get a cheap one I thought I'd play them at their own game, and only offered £200. That was the lowest offer possible, and very much in the red!

Anyway, I received an email just now saying my offer has been accepted!

A few months ago my wife booked me a three day trip to Israel to visit a friend. When I received the e-ticket I went on the airline website to book my seat, and saw something that really annoyed me. It was a pop up screen that said, "You're entitled to an upgrade...make us an offer".

I couldn't believe how cheeky they were. The dial you use to enter your offer started at £200, but the catch was that the little dial started in the red. It got progressively more orange and then green as you turned the dial and your offer went up, up to a maximum of about £600.

Because I'm perfectly comfortable in economy, but would take an upgrade if I could get a cheap one I thought I'd play them at their own game, and only offered £200. That was the lowest offer possible, and very much in the red!

Anyway, I received an email just now saying my offer has been accepted!

upgrade to business? who is the carrier?

I like the idea though, but ruins it for people like me who tend to luck out with free upgrades!!:smile:

Being back in League Two. Seriously. It's gloriously dogs**t. Nice to take a season's break from League One.

upgrade to business? who is the carrier?

I like the idea though, but ruins it for people like me who tend to luck out with free upgrades!!:smile:

It's El Al, the Israeli airline. I've never got a free upgrade in my life before. It doesn't matter how often I try I just always get rejected. Based on my luck this is the best I could ever hope for.

Funnily enough, I mentioned this scheme to people at work, and it seems El Al aren't the only ones that do it, and no-one else seemed to be as outraged by it as I was. The more I thought about it, the more I saw the sense in it. I actually made the offer ages ago and forgot about it, probably because I'd dismissed any chance of me being successful.

It's El Al, the Israeli airline. I've never got a free upgrade in my life before. It doesn't matter how often I try I just always get rejected. Based on my luck this is the best I could ever hope for.

Funnily enough, I mentioned this scheme to people at work, and it seems El Al aren't the only ones that do it, and no-one else seemed to be as outraged by it as I was. The more I thought about it, the more I saw the sense in it. I actually made the offer ages ago and forgot about it, probably because I'd dismissed any chance of me being successful.

I've had three upgrades (1 to business and 2 to premium economy). I've never asked, the only thing that might help is checking in early (at the airport), and two times I was on an internal flight before a big flight (so must have been the very first person to check in for the main flight). One time I was upgraded because they tried to bump us and we were on honeymoon.

I don't think there's any art to it, people have different stories about being upgraded. Not sure if putting 'Dr' on my booking will help with upgrades, or if I'll be shamed when asked to deal with a medical emergency!

It definitely makes sense from a money making sense, and also avoid the aggro that can come from trying to 'rebalance the classes' on the day.

Hope you have a good trip!

I've had three upgrades (1 to business and 2 to premium economy). I've never asked, the only thing that might help is checking in early (at the airport), and two times I was on an internal flight before a big flight (so must have been the very first person to check in for the main flight). One time I was upgraded because they tried to bump us and we were on honeymoon.

I don't think there's any art to it, people have different stories about being upgraded. Not sure if putting 'Dr' on my booking will help with upgrades, or if I'll be shamed when asked to deal with a medical emergency!

It definitely makes sense from a money making sense, and also avoid the aggro that can come from trying to 'rebalance the classes' on the day.

Hope you have a good trip!

Oh, I will, cheers. I very rarely get to see my friend, and I'm really looking forward to it. It also turns out that another friend of mine that lives in New York (and I haven't seen for about 15-20 years) is also going, so the three of us should have a blast.

Sweet. I flew El Al to Tel Aviv for work last week with three colleagues and on the way back, two of the lads got upgraded.

I didn't - I got the incredibly short straw of sitting near a school trip - but I was glad for one of my colleagues as his surname is Sheikh and although he is a British national, his passage in to Israel was far from straightforward.

Where in Israel are you off to?

Went for a job interview, and offered a job there and then.

Not sure I'm going to take it.

A trip up to the Ongar and Epping Railway line and a couple of journeys on this today.

train1.jpg

Seriously anorak, but huge fun.

Booked my next tattoo today, I only have to wait 2 weeks aswell!! :smile::smile:

3784297.jpg

Back