• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Wycombe Wanderers V Southend United

That’s one of the problems we’ve been complaining about though, isn’t it? Trying to shoe horn players into a system.

Whilst I totally agree with you about him being one of the better ones from Tuesday, I see nowhere to play him in that 442 diamond formation, unless you’re swapping him for Cox or Milligan.

So you'd change the system again and happily leave out one of our better players from our last match?

So you'd change the system again and happily leave out one of our better players from our last match?

Indeed. Hamilton will be starting and you cant drop Mantom after Tuesdays efforts.

My idea would be to get a settled formation.

The ones we’ve been playing cleary haven’t worked.

Once you’ve got a formation that offers stability & creativity in an equal balance, then you can fit the deserving players in accordingly. I think a 442 diamond would offer that.

I don’t like the idea of dropping Hamilton, but for the sake of the bigger picture I’d willingly try it for 60 minutes at least.

And let’s be clear, whilst Hamilton was one of the better players from Tuesday night, we still got beaten comfortably, so I don’t believe that anyone is a guaranteed starter right now. I’ve simply put players in where I think best suits them & their roles.

Indeed. Hamilton will be starting and you cant drop Mantom after Tuesdays efforts.

As I said above, I don’t think anyone is beyond reproach.

It’s not as if we’ve been unlucky so far this season, and been beaten by the odd goal here or there. We’ve been toilet.

Same old saying comes out, Wycombe is never a easy place to go to, every manager says the same for every away game eh:ROFL:

As I said above, I don’t think anyone is beyond reproach.

It’s not as if we’ve been unlucky so far this season, and been beaten by the odd goal here or there. We’ve been toilet.

Nor will they be or should be.

We wanted a midfield play maker all summer. Many of us were hoping it would be Dru. My trusted spys at Dagenham told me how 'uninterested' he looked.

So the right decision was made but it left us short and in no financial position to do much about it.

Hamilton is the answer and he had a great start on Tuesday.....

Last edited:
Nor will they be or should be.

We wanted a midfield play maker all summer. Many of us were hoping it would be Dru. My trusted spys at Dagenham told me how 'uninterested' he looked.

So the right decision was made but it us short and in no financial position to do much about it.

Hamilton is the answer and he had a great start on Tuesday.....

And like I said, you’ve got to fit him into a system that works. He doesn’t - yet - get into my 442d, which Is the setup that I believe would bring out the best in us, as it plays to our strengths.

Now I could change the formation altogether, but aside from believing it wouldn’t play to our strengths, I’d be doing It to fit square pegs into round holes, which is the same thing Bond has been getting a coating for.

And like I said, you’ve got to fit him into a system that works. He doesn’t - yet - get into my 442d, which Is the setup that I believe would bring out the best in us, as it plays to our strengths.

Now I could change the formation altogether, but aside from believing it wouldn’t play to our strengths, I’d be doing It to fit square pegs into round holes, which is the same thing Bond has been getting a coating for.

I'm not having a go at you but as a general remark I personally take very little notice of formations and absolutely no notice of the words systems and tactics when quoted on here.

Any player worth his salt at any level should not be a 'shape' and the best can fit into any slot....Round, square or triangles..

Good players with some personal and professional pride can pass, work off the ball and mark at set pieces. That should happen regardless of manager, formations, radio interviews or even KB doing a nice pasodoble on the touch line.

Thursday afternoon now and Saturday's must get something match is approaching fast.
I hope the squad and club get over the disappointment of Tuesday by concentrating their minds, body and soul on a win PDQ.
I can't do a poll and don't need one to select my starting line up.

Bish

Elvis, Shaunhessey, Lennon, Ralph

Hammy, Milligan, Mantom

Cox

Hump, Lollipop.

1 nil Blues.
What games have u been watching!? Shaunassey is a liability and ever since impressing against millwall hes been awful!!

Same old saying comes out, Wycombe is never a easy place to go to, every manager says the same for every away game eh:ROFL:

No, managers of visiting sides to Roots Hall say, “Just turn up lads, easy 3 points”

I'm not having a go at you but as a general remark I personally take very little notice of formations and absolutely no notice of the words systems and tactics when quoted on here.

Any player worth his salt at any level should not be a 'shape' and the best can fit into any slot....Round, square or triangles..

Good players with some personal and professional pride can pass, work off the ball and mark at set pieces. That should happen regardless of manager, formations, radio interviews or even KB doing a nice pasodoble on the touch line.

Fair points.

But I think its only right to respond with the fact that one of Tuesdays most bizarre decisions was to play a decent-ish CF, on the LW.

It’s not a question of if he’s good enough to play that role, it’s a question of why are we not playing to his strengths.

Edit: and in addition to not playing to Goody’s strengths, we’re not playing to the strengths of the natural wingers we have warming the bench

Last edited:
SOUTHEND United will be bidding to avoid an unwanted club record when they head to Wycombe Wanderers this weekend.

More...

For me the best mix of formation and players would be

Oxley
Elvis Shaughnessy Milligan Lennon Ralph
Hamilton Mantom
Cox
Humphrys Goodship

For me the best mix of formation and players would be

Oxley
Elvis Shaughnessy Milligan Lennon Ralph
Hamilton Mantom
Cox
Humphrys Goodship
Absolutely right....unless Demi feels he’s up to starting at RB.

Back