• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I must admit that I thought Payne flattered to deceive in the brief substitute appearances I'd seen previously. But today I thought he was great, linking the play, always in a position to receive the ball and making darting runs creating space for himself and others. He deserved to score the winning goal.

Deegan looks a great signing as a defensive midfielder. Williams looked good going forward, I assume he has played as a winger at some point in his career.

Special thanks to their keeper for dropping the ball for Hurst to lash home.

The down side is we conceded twice from headers in the box.

Hopefully Bolger's supposedly imminent return will help us win more headers in our own box.

What a week though, 3 wins from 3 and only 3pts off top spot. Very solid base to build on. And even mrsblue looks to have turned over a new leaf! Bravo! :smile:

We played well in parts today...still more to come I feel. Long old journey ahead.

Think Jack Payne certainly has the potential. Think he pulled the midfield and forwards together well today. Bentley did ok...shame about their two goals from set pieces. I think Williams is a stronger left back than Coker.

I must admit that I thought Payne flattered to deceive in the brief substitute appearances I'd seen previously. But today I thought he was great, linking the play, always in a position to receive the ball and making darting runs creating space for himself and others. He deserved to score the winning goal.

Deegan looks a great signing as a defensive midfielder. Williams looked good going forward, I assume he has played as a winger at some point in his career.

Special thanks to their keeper for dropping the ball for Hurst to lash home.

The down side is we conceded twice from headers in the box.

This is something we miss with Corr as well, because he gives us that added height when defending set pieces

Not saying he should always start, just pointing out this out as we do lack a bit of height in the side

On the plus side, there was only one team that looked to be creative and dynamic ........... to avoid any doubt, that was us (S.U.F.C.) but after the 1st goal we gradually slipped back and the equaliser (whilst undeserved) was what happens in any league when you stop applying pressure.

2nd half and we came out playing well. Hurst took the goal well - and his delight was quite something to see.

Not sure why Sharky went off but to his credit Worrall laid on the ball for the 3rd goal - his cut back behind the on rushing players only for Payne to arrive and bury the ball in the net.

At 3-1 we were away and flying but then we sat back and sat back and had 11 men behind the ball for no reason with a big sign up saying "backs to the wall, see if you can score now" ......... and again they did. On comes Mads for a back defence of 5 players and to no-one's surprise we can't keep the ball and it is 10 minutes of anxious defending to get a win that should not have been in doubt.

So, 3 points well deserved .......... but 2 goals let in when against a team that offered little.

Man of the Match: Big J Payne of course

It was a terrific second half display.

The first half was a bit average, we got the early penalty after some super play by Payne and Weston sacored from the spot - although to be honest it was quite close to the keeper's dive! We didn't really get going after that until the second half. Their equaliser came right at the end of the first half and to be honest was deserved.

The second half though was a different story and the transformation was remarkable. We were very much on top, playing crisp passing football and should have had a couple before their keeper very generously spilled the ball, enabling Hurst to slot home.

It was good to see us keep going rather than sit back and the third was well deserved and came after a good move, Worrall squaring the ball back for Payne to drive into the corner from the edge of the box.

Then we sat back, which I felt was a mistake and was nearly proved right. York are a big team and we stopped doing all the good stuff, giving them the balland allowing them space. With 7 minutes to go they got a second and that made for a last period, not helped by Williams making a foul throw witrh seconds to go, giving them the chance to launch the ball into the box yet again. Fortunately, we kept it out.

A great win to cap a great week.

Ratings -

Bentley- 6 - Made some good catches but kicking was way off in 1st half.

White - 8 - Stopped plenty of crosses today, picked up a head injury too.
Prosser - 8 - One of his most commanding performances that I've seen.
Thompson - 8 - Looked very decent alongside Prosser
Williams - 6 -Not as good as before, gave the ball away, was skinned a few timess by their pacey no 20.

Deegan - 8 - Distribution very good today, sits well in front of the back four.
Payne - 9 - MOM - Excellent performance, made one, scored one, they couldn't cope with him.
Hurst - 7 - Anonymous 1st half, second half wasthe best 45 mins I have seen from him for some time. That's better Hursty!
Clifford - 7.5 - Linked up very well with Payne all game.

Coulthirst - 6 - Not really at the races today
Weston - 7 - Gave 100%, never stopped running and closing down.Too greedy at times. We could have had another 2 if he had used better decision making and either squared or passed.

Subs -

Worrall - 8 - Excellent when he came on for Coulthirst
Atkinson - 7 - Replaced a tiring Clifford
Ibenfeldt - 7 - Replaced Payne to add extra height

Ref - 4 - Pretty poor. The lino in front of me was really average as well.

Blue army

We were the better team but made it hard for ourselves by taking the pressure off when we went ahead (1-0 and 3-1 anyway). Their first goal was poor at the back stick and then the striker did well to gamble across the 6-yard box to put it away. Looked a pen for our first, and Payne's goal was a great finish after a brilliant cutback from Worrall. Their keeper was woeful for Hurst's (by far the worst ball handling of the day!!:winking:)

Bentley 7

White 7
Prosser 8
Thompson 7
Williams 7

Hurst 7
Deegan 7
Payne 8 (MOTM)
Clifford 7

Shaq 6
Weston 7

Subs:
Ibenfeldt - N/A
Atkinson - 7
Worrall - 8

As a Brown doubter, I have to admit to warming to him. The side looks a lot more fluid with Corr being injured and replacements fitting in well. Payne has been influential but I think Deegan has added some toughness together with Clifford.
Funny how injuries can lead to a team evolving stronger, given that we are winning without Timlin, Coker, Leonard. It was a tough list of opening fixtures and Brown has done well with Penney in coming up with answers so far.
Just hope we can win some of the upcoming home fixtures and not suffer those defeats where teams sit back and soak up pressure from us and hit us with a winner in 2nd half.
Finally, well done to the 300+ fans who travelled to York and cheered the team to a good away win.:smile:

Hopefully Bolger's supposedly imminent return will help us win more headers in our own box.

What a week though, 3 wins from 3 and only 3pts off top spot. Very solid base to build on. And even mrsblue looks to have turned over a new leaf! Bravo! :smile:

He may well win more headers but he is sloppy and gives too much away. Thompson seems to be getting better and better the more he plays so I'm happy to stick with Prosser and Thompson. You don't break up a winning team.

That said, we did concede two today so there is always room for improvement. I'd personally like to see Ibenfeldt given a run.

Good stuff though all round. 3 wins on the trot. Good team performances and Payne is more than holding his own with 4 goals so far this season. Think that makes him top scorer in all competitions

As DWB said above im not sure bolger walks back in....to be honest I have seen him a lot this season and plymuff away just confirmed my thoughts on him....can hardly pass water let alone a football and a bit of a libility.

Think Jack Payne certainly has the potential. Think he pulled the midfield and forwards together well today. Bentley did ok...shame about their two goals from set pieces. I think Williams is a stronger left back than Coker.

I wasn't really sure about Payne before but today he was excellent, he linked up well, was full of energy, found space and took his goal really well.

As DWB said above im not sure bolger walks back in....to be honest I have seen him a lot this season and plymuff away just confirmed my thoughts on him....can hardly pass water let alone a football and a bit of a libility.

I agree with him not walking back in, but if PB was prepared to invest £25k on the guy, then I think he deserves a bit more time yet.

I wasn't really sure about Payne before but today he was excellent, he linked up well, was full of energy, found space and took his goal really well.

I've always been impressed with him, but previously it was in 'fits and starts' e.g. the 2nd Play off match against Burton when he so nearly scored. I think he will get better and better as he gets more game time and experience the definite plus 9 games in.

I think we will have to improve set pieces at both ends of the pitch to finish top 3 but that is 3 great wins in a week. Payne has definitely been the catalyst for our improved form and the back 4 looks pretty settled now also. Good that goals are starting to get shared round a bit more. Hopefully Hurst can kick on and start to produce what he did last season.

If Payne keeps on improving it won't just be Bentley that we have to hold onto as he is scoring creating and playing very well and is still only 18?

Yes, it might be time to offer Jack Payne a longer and improved contract.

Jack Payne is 20 next month and signed a contract extension in the summer for another year. Might be time to start negotiating a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd IMO.

Back