• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sounds like we got the job done yesterday. First time we have scored three I think this season and I think I am the first to point that out, as a lot of you are busy picking holes in the defence.

On the Bolger/Thompson debate... To me there is hardly anything between them. Somebody mentioned prosser splits opinion? I've never read anybody mention a bad word about him since his first couple of seasons with us. If either drops form it has to be mads who gets his chance in a league game next.

Oh dear - I do hope I haven't turned into a moaner .......... three goals away from home - fabtastic. Yes.

Worth talking about the two goals against as York were poor ........ and so this highlights an area that can be looked at. So really it is being positive as it is about improving a team that has taken 9 points from 9. :thumbsup:

I thought Prosser was tremendous 1st half yesterday ........ well, up until the York equaliser ......... whilst I try to be impartial, I am not a fan and think that we (S.U.F.C.) do not have the best central defensive partnership sorted yet.

Oh dear - I do hope I haven't turned into a moaner .......... three goals away from home - fabtastic. Yes.

Worth talking about the two goals against as York were poor ........ and so this highlights an area that can be looked at. So really it is being positive as it is about improving a team that has taken 9 points from 9. :thumbsup:

I thought Prosser was tremendous 1st half yesterday ........ well, up until the York equaliser ......... whilst I try to be impartial, I am not a fan and think that we (S.U.F.C.) do not have the best central defensive partnership sorted yet.

I do know what you mean about The centre backs....looking back at sokilok and egan last season and how they dominated so well (play offs aside) prossers partner is the question for me

Sounds like we got the job done yesterday. First time we have scored three I think this season and I think I am the first to point that out, as a lot of you are busy picking holes in the defence.

On the Bolger/Thompson debate... To me there is hardly anything between them. Somebody mentioned prosser splits opinion? I've never read anybody mention a bad word about him since his first couple of seasons with us. If either drops form it has to be mads who gets his chance in a league game next.)

There will not be that many games away in which we will score three; and conceding two to a lack lustre York ought to be something PB and team will look at.
Like others I don't think our central two are the best, for sure they do lots of good stuff, but both can lack positioning, reading the moves and distribution. Both are best at instantaneous reaction style defending. Their weakness has been shown against either big lumps like Akinfenwa, where they don't get right into his zone like another layer of clothing; or against a pacey runner at them were both are inclined to back pedal too much. Thankfully in this league that isn't the every game types of play they come up against.
York had neither type of player but we conceded twice and Dan made a few good stops; so there must be work and organisation required: with our 3 mainly defensive managerial training team then the answers ought to be found as to preferred partnerships and who, for what, countering of opposition threats.

On the way out of the game yesterday I overheard some York fans discussing the game. One said that he thought Jack Payne was a very good player and ran the show. His mate said that York are not good enough and should get some better quality loan players in.

On reflection maybe our cup is half full and not half empty

Payne involved in all 3 goals. Really starting to shine and so pleased for him

I was discussing this with my son yesterday.....especially as I was a doubter. Added love as he is from the yoofs. But my question is.....will he put bums on seats at the hall and is he the key to our season being successful. ...I am calling him the essex maradonna from now on

I wasn't really sure about Payne before but today he was excellent, he linked up well, was full of energy, found space and took his goal really well.

To be fair Pubey you were not the only one, many on here have labelled him 'lightweight' 'little boy lost' a 'luxury' etc, but hey, we're the experts aren't we (?).....

To be fair Pubey you were not the only one, many on here have labelled him 'lightweight' 'little boy lost' a 'luxury' etc, but hey, we're the experts aren't we (?).....

Low centre of gravity means he stays on his feet well, until he gets into the box anyway. Great mazy run for the penalty, good early cross the keeper fumbled for the second and right place at the right time with a classy finish for the 3rd goal. I have a feeling Payne will be our talisman this season. He has definitely been our catalyst for the good run. Top scorer with 4 goals as well I think

Payne involved in all 3 goals. Really starting to shine and so pleased for him

Agree, has that cutting edge and class to split a defence open and now he is growing in confidence. We haven't had this sort of player for a long time.

Just seen the highlights. Payne is becoming very very exciting. His run for the penalty was class and as stated by Westy, something we haven't had in the team since Freddy used to frighten defenders. The third goal was sheer class, super pass to Worrall and a brilliant lay back and a perfect finish. Keep it up Jack!

Word on Worrall, what I have seen of him he has looked good. Excellent outside of the foot pass to Shaq for our second against Pompey and another fine assist yesterday.

Real competition for places going forward, exciting times. Up the Blues!

In fairness at times these have been reasonable comments, hence why he didn't used to play a lot. However he has progressed hence why he know gets the chance. The big question is, he has progressed well in the last year, but how far will he go, can he keep improving at the same rate?

With young players like Payne it is all about playing him when the manager thinks he is ready. Last season his involvement with the first team squad made him hungry and believing he had a chance. This season he has been blooded in the first team and he has shown he has what it takes to be a pro. If he continues to improve then who knows what he can achieve and where he will find his level. For the moment let's just enjoy an academy outfield player coming good. Well done Brown for getting the timing just right and Duncan for developing him.

I was discussing this with my son yesterday.....especially as I was a doubter. Added love as he is from the yoofs. But my question is.....will he put bums on seats at the hall and is he the key to our season being successful. ...I am calling him the essex maradonna from now on
Judging by the reaction of the crowd towards him when he was subbed against Portsmouth it has to be yes....must say I was rather underwhelmed by that performance, he did look a bit lost at times and his passing in the first half was woeful but he has something for sure, glad he has proved me wrong this week

Crumbs what do you expect? New to the first team, a youngster! Top scorer, creative. Just what we need!

Payne was a real highlight of the game yesterday - I think everyone on here made him the man of the match.

I was one that doubted his ability as a defending midfielder .......... but that seems a little irrelevant if he makes one goal (taken down for a penalty), in the build up for another goal and scores a goal .............. can't see him (Payne) doing that every game though!

It will be interesting to see how the team gets on against the Salopians ........

Back