• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

4 -5 -1 ( or 4 -2 -3 -1) while the squad is thin

CC51DAS

President
Given our currently limited resources and our weak defence, anyone see any merit in changing the formation round to protect the back four more?

For example, Macca 7/10 and Christophe could take the defensive role in front of the back four allowing Moussa to move into a central forward midfield role with new boy Jabo in place of Laurent on his right and say Scannel left. Both have enough pace to quickly get up in support of lone front man, Barney.

I like that idea but I fear the back 4 (or 6) will lump it up to Barney more often. Might be worth a try though.

Understand what your suggesting,but in the past whenever we have tried anything other than a trad 4 4 2 we seem to be all over the place, remember the much vaulted diamond formation.

We've been playing with Jeff just in front of the back 4 for a while, to give them a bit of added protection. Tuesday at Tranmere was the first game for ages where we didn't.....and look what happened! Moussa's recent form has been very poor including a game at CM so I really don't think Tilly is going to mess around too much. Jabo in for Dougie, Scannell/Walker in for Franny.

Given our currently limited resources and our weak defence, anyone see any merit in changing the formation round to protect the back four more?

For example, Macca 7/10 and Christophe could take the defensive role in front of the back four allowing Moussa to move into a central forward midfield role with new boy Jabo in place of Laurent on his right and say Scannel left. Both have enough pace to quickly get up in support of lone front man, Barney.

No, for exactly the same reasons that people pointed out last time this idea was suggested and the time before that and the time before that and the time before that and the time before that.

We've been playing with Jeff just in front of the back 4 for a while, to give them a bit of added protection. Tuesday at Tranmere was the first game for ages where we didn't.....and look what happened! Moussa's recent form has been very poor including a game at CM so I really don't think Tilly is going to mess around too much. Jabo in for Dougie, Scannell/Walker in for Franny.

True. McCormack has been off form all season and Tilson still hasn't got round to dropping him.

Ok Sawyer yes, but Okeefe, a kid who has hardly any league 1 experence for Maaca please. Scannell, Walker are both forwards

Ok Sawyer yes, but Okeefe, a kid who has hardly any league 1 experence for Maaca please. Scannell, Walker are both forwards

Scannell is a winger and Walker can also play out wide. This would allow Moussa to move inside where, if partnered with a ball-winner, he could exercise more influence on the game.

Despite O'Keefe's inexperience, he could offer more discipline and better passing than a below par McCormack. McCormack was so bad last game that OBL only gave him 7/10.

Sawyer a kid who doesn't have much more experience in League 1 than O'Keefe, and with O'Keefe there's the added advantage of him not having disciplinary problems.

Sawyer a kid who doesn't have much more experience in League 1 than O'Keefe, and with O'Keefe there's the added advantage of him not having disciplinary problems.

A little unfair. O'Keefe's combined League One experience over 5 matches adds up to 161 minutes (plus stoppage time).

Sawyer has made 18 League One appearances, 2 Championship appearances, 9 League Two appearances and a handful of Cup games. Sawyer was potentially an immense talent and I'm not sure the "problems" occurred until he was repeated left on the bench watching a below par Macca guaranteed his place week after week.

Anyway back on topic. Our biggest asset is possibly Barnard, play a lone role up front imo would take away a lot of his cutting edge.

Scannell is a winger and Walker can also play out wide. This would allow Moussa to move inside where, if partnered with a ball-winner, he could exercise more influence on the game.

Despite O'Keefe's inexperience, he could offer more discipline and better passing than a below par McCormack. McCormack was so bad last game that OBL only gave him 7/10.

I gave him less at Yeovil and Carlisle I'll have you know!

surely walker will play on the right?

Or Scannell.

I don't think Walker figures too highly in Tilson's plans to be perfectly honest. When we have brought Dougie off in recent weeks, rather than replacing him with another forward in Walker, we have been bringing on Scannell who is a winger.

We have to go 4-4-2, I mentioned the reasons in another thread a couple of days ago. We actually have a few more players available than in recent weeks and I think we will see the following line up on Tuesday:

Mildenhall

Malone Barrett Morrison Francis

Moussa Macca JFC Scannell

Jabo Barnard.

Back