• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No I'm pretty sure it's not the Kursaal the houses are not those that were/are around the Kursaal also the pitch & goalposts had long gone by then

The houses to the left could be on Archer Avenue, they would've been knocked down when the Kursaal housing enclave was built and Badgershrimp reckons the goals stayed till the 60s

The houses to the left could be on Archer Avenue, they would've been knocked down when the Kursaal housing enclave was built and Badgershrimp reckons the goals stayed till the 60s

According to the 'A Century United' by Peter Miles & Dave Goody, the Kursaal pitch was dug up almost straight away after the ground closed. (see page 203).

The picture in post 5 looks to me like 'The Rec' the former ground of Grays Athletic as up to the early 80s the house in the corner still had the letters painted on it to place the half time scores from around the country.

Well done those houses to the right are in Bradbourne Road, Grays. If you google streetview that road you can still see the row of houses with the exact chimney pots as per the 1958 photo.

So yes its Grays Athletic's old ground which is now sadly a building site.

The picture in post 5 looks to me like 'The Rec' the former ground of Grays Athletic as up to the early 80s the house in the corner still had the letters painted on it to place the half time scores from around the country.

I think this is correct it dose look like The Rec , and I would say the band are playing in front of the old wooden stand that was on the Bride Road side of the ground, from where it looks like the photo was taken.

Does anybody have any photos or seen any of the LIVERPOOL cup game,have never seen any apart from the official ones,would be great to see 31,000 people in on saturday ,might have to queue to get in though!!

Just about to ask the same some of the youngers fans have no idea just how big the old south bank used to be
Have posted these on here before, this was at SUFC's Open Day in August 1976....the long hot summer and my favourite ever kit! My little sis and me here with Stuart Parker, with the South Bank in the background. You can see that the top of it is level with the back row of the East stand. And as I've said before, have a look at Neil Townsend's thighs behind us!!!

and this is us with Terry Nicholl right in front of the East stand, you can see the wooden barrier that separated the stand from the Paddock below and which is still there, although the Paddock has now been replaced by seats. I think some of the East still has the same seats from back then too! Guy on the extreme left is now a steward in the West! Sorry about the deterioration on this photo - they are 35 years old though!!!

Have posted these on here before, this was at SUFC's Open Day in August 1976....the long hot summer and my favourite ever kit! My little sis and me here with Stuart Parker, with the South Bank in the background. You can see that the top of it is level with the back row of the East stand. And as I've said before, have a look at Neil Townsend's thighs behind us!!!

[URL="http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v3341/104/50/1141999275/n1141999275_441787_6235622.jpg"][/URL]

and this is us with Terry Nicholl right in front of the East stand, you can see the wooden barrier that separated the stand from the Paddock below and which is still there, although the Paddock has now been replaced by seats. I think some of the East still has the same seats from back then too! Guy on the extreme left is now a steward in the West! Sorry about the deterioration on this photo - they are 35 years old though!!!

[URL="http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v3341/104/50/1141999275/n1141999275_441788_1422952.jpg"][/URL]

Quite impressed with these pictures...I agree the 1976/1977 kits are the best kits SUFC played in ...

My dad played for Grays in the late 50s he used to talk about the great wooden main stand that they had which burnt down.
He also mentioned the scoreboard painted on the side of the house. Which i remenber him telling me about when we went to watch Grays i think in the 80s they had a good side then with a Micky Welch playing up front for them scoring for fun.
I think we had him here for a while playing in the ressies. Memories superb!!!!

I would also love to see pictures of our south bank as it was before Jobbo put the flats on it.
I can remember it but many of our younger supporters just wouldnt be able to grasp how big our South Bank was!

My dad played for Grays in the late 50s he used to talk about the great wooden main stand that they had which burnt down.
He also mentioned the scoreboard painted on the side of the house. Which i remenber him telling me about when we went to watch Grays i think in the 80s they had a good side then with a Micky Welch playing up front for them scoring for fun.

I would also love to see pictures of our south bank as it was before Jobbo put the flats on it.
I can remember it but many of our younger supporters just wouldnt be able to grasp how big our South Bank was!

It was simply huge, a 15,000capacity terrace -4000 more than the entire capacity of Roots Hall today!

Welch made 5 first team appearances from Feb 85 to the end of that season
Bobby Moore signed him , we finished 20th in Div 4 that year beating Torquay in our final game to avoid re-election
We scored 5 goals in our last 9 games that season 4 in the win over Peterbro' and 1 in the final game !!

When was the glass removed from the main stand by the south stand?

Oh happy days. You're right about the kit. Was hoping I was in the background, as I always went on the pitch for all sorts of reasons. Would spend a few games each season watching from the massive South Bank as well.
More of these pretty please.

Ditto; I was telling the boys about it as we walked down West Street before the game last week and pointing out that the Bank was so big there were turnstiles at the end of Roots Hall Avenue and the top wall at the back of it was where the back wall of the BP garage now is and they were looking at me as if I was daft, ( I know that's not unusual, Cricko, before you can get in! ).
By the way can anyone remember where the floodlight pylons were on the old South Bank, I seem to remember that they straddled the fence, half in the ground and half out, or is that my memory playing tricks.
I seem to remember some away fans, Watford? in the late 70's?, climbing the pylons, would have been about 76-77 as it would have been the game that Luther Blissett made his debut for Watford and my sister-in-law got pushed down the South by some Watford fans. Father-in-law got a bit wound up by that and laid into them, some moves learnt in the Merchant in distant ports served him well that day.....

Remember the Wolves game which we needed to win to gain promotion in the late 80s and about 15 mins before kick off the huge blue exit gates at the top of the old south bank flew open and in poured hundreds of Wolves.
An eventful evening that night as trouble constantly broke out around the ground and in the town afterwards.
There must be images of the old south bank from that night.
Also saint and grevisie used to have us on their show every saturday as we used to play friday nights has anyone got any old footage they could put up on here???

remember travelling home up the a127 and every other car had a gold & black scarf hanging out the window.How the police got it so wrong that night (as usual) !!
Remember the Wolves game which we needed to win to gain promotion in the late 80s and about 15 mins before kick off the huge blue exit gates at the top of the old south bank flew open and in poured hundreds of Wolves.
An eventful evening that night as trouble constantly broke out around the ground and in the town afterwards.
There must be images of the old south bank from that night.
Also saint and grevisie used to have us on their show every saturday as we used to play friday nights has anyone got any old footage they could put up on here???

Back