• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wonderful piece from the Telegraph on White Poppies:

At the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, I am sure the thoughts of all Telegraph readers will be with those British and Commonwealth Service men and women who fell in the defence of our liberty.

But spare a thought, too, for the men and women of the White Poppy appeal. And don't make it a kind thought. This wretched outfit "believes that there are better ways of solving conflicts than killing strangers". That is how they describe the sacrifice of British and Allied lives in the inescapable war against Nazi Germany and the Axis powers.

People who wear white poppies – who include the sanctimonious prats of the "Christian" think tank Ekklesia – not only dishonour our war dead: they also assert their supposed moral superiority over the 40 million Britons who wear British Legion red poppies.

What should you do if you see a white poppy wearer today? At the very least – if I may borrow a phrase from my colleague Alan Cochrane – you should give them a cheery wave not involving the use of all your fingers.

Wear your RED Poppy with pride.

Yeah we should have just shouted at Hitler to stop being such a naughty man, that would have won the War! :angry:

Whatever way you look at it, white poppies are an insult to all those who have fought and died protecting our nation and millions of others elsewhere.

A punch in the kidneys and a Bombay Bad Boy Pot Noodle in the eyeballs is the least white poppy wearers deserve.

I don't think any sane person, Christian or otherwise, would argue WW2 was not a just war. I think they were originally worn by WW1 widows hoping that another generation wouldn't have to go through what they did. Tragically they did.

It's a shame that essentially well-meaning individuals striving for peace have brought political debate to one of the most important times in our year.

I wear my red poppy with pride, it's a national symbol.

My personal opinion is that there is a time and a place for the promotion of peace but 11/11 & Remberence Sunday about those who have fallen for us.

Once again this rememberance sunday my wife and i will be at Whitehall paying our respects to the fallen and wearing our poppys with pride,i would say to any of your goodselfs if just once try it,the vets march past makes the hairs on your neck stand up God bless every bloody one of them,white poppys? naaah.

Once again this rememberance sunday my wife and i will be at Whitehall paying our respects to the fallen and wearing our poppys with pride,i would say to any of your goodselfs if just once try it,the vets march past makes the hairs on your neck stand up God bless every bloody one of them,white poppys? naaah.

Do you get to speak to any of your old mates you served with in WW1 ?

My family and i will being doing the same but in a rural villiage in france on the 11th and at 11 oclock and not a poppy insight,never forget.

My family and i will being doing the same but in a rural villiage in france on the 11th and at 11 oclock and not a poppy insight,never forget.

The poppy doesn't quite have the same significance in France nor for that matter Belgium, but both countries hold Armistice Day as a day of respect and remembrance and both never forget.

Am I the only person on this list who thinks the whole poppy thing is way OTT?:unsure:
I saw an interview with David Beckenham last week in LA and there he was wearing his red poppy in the Californian sunshine.Do TV journos carry spare poppies around with them for overseas interviews or what?
Wear a red poppy on the 11/11th by all means but for the life of me I don't understand why it's de rigour for everyone on TV from the first of November.
And before anyone starts my father(and several of my uncles)served in WW2.

The poppy doesn't quite have the same significance in France nor for that matter Belgium, but both countries hold Armistice Day as a day of respect and remembrance and both never forget.
Indeed, probably commands more respect in both of those countries than it does here. I know plenty of people buy the poppies but how many of them actually respect the traditional moment's silence? I bet full well that Lakeside and Bluewater will be a thrive of activity at 11 o'clock on Sunday.

I'd love to do what Swiss is doing, must be a really thought provoking, memorable and inspiring ceremony to witness.

Just punch a white poppy wearer in the face, they're so peace loving and gentle they'll just try and reason with you, meaning you have carte blanche to lamp them again, and again, until they shut the **** up.

****ing dickwads.

White poppies is surely the wrong colour,shouldnt they be yellow.
To be honest ive never really done the whole 8th of may 11th of nov thing til i moved here,the school kids read a poem out or prayer and then the marie reads a statment out from the goverment then they sing the national athem then the firemen in dress uniform place flowers as do the kids and then its off to the village hall for drinks and nibbles.
It does mean a lot here because every family has suffered a loss and the day the dates fall on is a bank holiday,its never moved to suit big buisness its a day to respect and that i like.
Could i go to war,no i couldnt and i respect those that have.

When I was younger I briefly held the belief that Poppies glorified War, however it did not take much to work out that whilst one may be anti war, or feel that there are better ways to resolve conflict, this should not impact on the respect for people who laid down their lives for their country.
The decision to fight was (and still is) taken at a high level and 11/11 , poppies and memorials are absolutely nothing to do with those people, they are all about those on the bottom of the pile, those who held esteem for their country to such a degree that they would lay their lives down for it. Those people surpassed politics and their memory should not be used as a political pawn by anyone

Am I the only person on this list who thinks the whole poppy thing is way OTT?:unsure:
I saw an interview with David Beckenham last week in LA and there he was wearing his red poppy in the Californian sunshine.Do TV journos carry spare poppies around with them for overseas interviews or what?
Wear a red poppy on the 11/11th by all means but for the life of me I don't understand why it's de rigour for everyone on TV from the first of November.
And before anyone starts my father(and several of my uncles)served in WW2.

I don't what's happening to me but I actually agree with your point about people wearing them weeks before the actual day. It's a bit like putting up Christmas decs in October

On subject of white poppies Pickled Seal makes a fair point about the their origin - it was done after WW1 - a war far harder to justify than WW2. In WW1 almost an entire generation of young men were killed for not a lot of point.
Unfortunately as a symbol the whie poppy was hijacked by CND in the 80s which is why it has fallen into disrepute

They raise a massve amount of money for good causes every year. The longer they are in the ouic eye the more will be sold. Have them for one day only and the amount of money donated would be minuscule in comparison.

Back