• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

In Southend's Fair City
Where the girls are so pretty
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone
As she wheel'd her wheel barrow
Through streets broad and narrow
Crying cockles and mussels
alive, alive o!

God I am showing my age here :winking: an old North Bank tune for those that remember.

Yes, I'm afraid we both are. I remember that along with something else, not quite so fine........wasn't there a chant that went something like, "Jump down, turn around, kick 'im in the 'ead?" Unfortunately, I go back even further, when I was there with my rattle (not exactly a baby's one). As I wasn't particularly tall, it led to people people around me, ducking out of the way. The chants in those early days, if I remember, were a bit limited to
2 -4 -6 -8 who do we appreciate......S - O - U - T - H - E - N - D .....Southend! or alternatively,
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 what do ye think we're waiting for...........a goal for S - O - U etc. Those were the days, when they used to teach Maths as it should be taught!!!
Talking of the North stand, somwhere in the mess downstairs I've got a photo, taken with a telephoto lens from the South Bank goal by a Southend Pictorial photographer. It shows supporters celebrating a goal and the detail is fine enough to pick me out easily, arms aloft, in my old trench coat. When I find it again and buy a scanner that works with windows 7, I'll put it up.

there really are some twits on this forum... it's football, not the opera

Yes, I'm afraid we both are. I remember that along with something else, not quite so fine........wasn't there a chant that went something like, "Jump down, turn around, kick 'im in the 'ead?" Unfortunately, I go back even further, when I was there with my rattle (not exactly a baby's one). As I wasn't particularly tall, it led to people people around me, ducking out of the way. The chants in those early days, if I remember, were a bit limited to
2 -4 -6 -8 who do we appreciate......S - O - U - T - H - E - N - D .....Southend! or alternatively,
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 what do ye think we're waiting for...........a goal for S - O - U etc. Those were the days, when they used to teach Maths as it should be taught!!!
Talking of the North stand, somwhere in the mess downstairs I've got a photo, taken with a telephoto lens from the South Bank goal by a Southend Pictorial photographer. It shows supporters celebrating a goal and the detail is fine enough to pick me out easily, arms aloft, in my old trench coat. When I find it again and buy a scanner that works with windows 7, I'll put it up.

The second or maybe it was the first line to that was, jump down turn around kick em in the bollocks.

The chants have mellowed over the years, that is for sure.

In your dagenham slums you look in a dustbin for something to eat you find a dead rat and and you think its a treat in your dagenham slums

My daughter is a dagenham fan and we went yesterday and the banter was fantastic all weekend.
As I was taking her back to Dagenham this evening and driving out of southend she sung " Southend a sxxxhole I want to go home" which made me laugh she then text TB and B&S with the same message from my phone

FFS people is just some fun

In Southend's Fair City
Where the girls are so pretty
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone
As she wheel'd her wheel barrow
Through streets broad and narrow
Crying cockles and mussels
alive, alive o!

God I am showing my age here :winking: an old North Bank tune for those that remember.

Stoke city where the girls are so pretty
I first set my eyes on sweet mollys big txts
I pulled down her knickers and opened her clxxters
da da da da da da da southend

The second or maybe it was the first line to that was, jump down turn around kick em in the bollocks.

The chants have mellowed over the years, that is for sure.

They have and to a large extent for the better, if the worst we can be accused of is upsetting some sensitive souls at a football game because we call their place a s******* then I think we've come a long way and it does get a bit of banter going sometimes. When sung at us it often gets the response of 'You're on the North Bank, you can't go home.'

Football grounds have always been a venue for banter and humour, some of the funniest things I've ever heard have been in a football ground and it is all of personal taste; some people 'get' Ricky Gervais, others just don't but they probably do 'get' John Bishop. :winking:

The mindless threats of violence aimed at oppo fans and bananas and monkey chants being aimed at dark skinned players were/are what I found and still find, when they raise their heads, thankfully far less often these days, offensive. :thumbdown: :angry:

To coin one of Jack the Flag's favourites, which is very true, 'this is football, not a ******* library.' :clap:

1. Well may be in the ground you can get away with it. Although it's not really original or funny or thought provoking. It is just a bit stupid. However driving down the road after the game hanging out the car window shouting it out to people waiting at a bus stop, mothers with kids etc. that to me was embarrassing. Although I agree it goes on at every ground .There are always some morons. Having said that, I was one of those in the 80s making monkey noises in the North Bank. Why? Because I was young and very, very stupid. I am married to a Black women now and she does not know about that. Though she does make me suffer with constant nagging, so may be poetic justice.

They have and to a large extent for the better, if the worst we can be accused of is upsetting some sensitive souls at a football game because we call their place a s******* then I think we've come a long way and it does get a bit of banter going sometimes. When sung at us it often gets the response of 'You're on the North Bank, you can't go home.'

Football grounds have always been a venue for banter and humour, some of the funniest things I've ever heard have been in a football ground and it is all of personal taste; some people 'get' Ricky Gervais, others just don't but they probably do 'get' John Bishop. :winking:

The mindless threats of violence aimed at oppo fans and bananas and monkey chants being aimed at dark skinned players were/are what I found and still find, when they raise their heads, thankfully far less often these days, offensive. :thumbdown: :angry:

To coin one of Jack the Flag's favourites, which is very true, 'this is football, not a ******* library.' :clap:[/QUOTand

that statment Cockles43 hits the nail on the head:thumbsup: E]

Having been to some of the towns our opponents come from I have a wry smile on my face when their fans sing the ****-hole song.

It is just banter.

Reminds me of my first trip to Lincoln (I think)

They had a siren that they used for corners and free kicks..

"You can shove the f***ing siren up your *rse!"

Blimey, it's just a laugh surely? OK, not the most original chant and question why we can't think of something a bit cleverer ourselves by all means but in itself it's harmless. Can't believe this is even being debated, the middle-class takeover of football seems to be still in full swing and has gathered pace in the 3 years I've been away. What a shame.

I'd say calling someone's sister a slag and that someone else fingers their mum was not ideal to listen to whilst watching a recent match with one of my kids. Next generation shouldn't be kept away from games and that is a danger.

Ron Manager;1336504 Can't believe this is even being debated said:
Aahhh. The old prejudices are great. If you are middle class, you don't shout out rubbish .... but if you are working class, then you do whenever you can ....... and you do it with pride because you are working class. Great stuff.

Back