• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The word banter is far too often bandied around to justify abusive behaviour. I don't think the "s**thole" chant is particularly bad, it's certainly not the worst I have heard. I just think that, that type of abuse is unnecessary. It doesn't add anything to the game being contested on the pitch and just creates animosity and conflict inside and outside the ground.

I'm all for letting the opposition know their failings on the pitch or giving their goal-shy striker a reminder of where the goal is but when you start veering into verbal attacks on people and their way of life, you have crossed the line from banter to just abuse.

When my daughters are old enough to appreciate live football I will be bringing them along to games but I certainly won't be allowing them to join in with such vulgarity.

more and more middle class coming to football, more and more working class buying computers - this thread was inevitable.

The word banter is far too often bandied around to justify abusive behaviour. I don't think the "s**thole" chant is particularly bad, it's certainly not the worst I have heard. I just think that, that type of abuse is unnecessary. It doesn't add anything to the game being contested on the pitch and just creates animosity and conflict inside and outside the ground.

I'm all for letting the opposition know their failings on the pitch or giving their goal-shy striker a reminder of where the goal is but when you start veering into verbal attacks on people and their way of life, you have crossed the line from banter to just abuse.

When my daughters are old enough to appreciate live football I will be bringing them along to games but I certainly won't be allowing them to join in with such vulgarity.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Justi...table-Behaviour-as-Banter/399603210745?ref=ts

Aahhh. The old prejudices are great. If you are middle class, you don't shout out rubbish .... but if you are working class, then you do whenever you can ....... and you do it with pride because you are working class. Great stuff.

OK, I'll admit the class analogy was a lazy one.

As much as I consider myself working class at heart I'm also a bank manager who lives comfortable in a nice house with a couple of new motors in the garage. So I'm sure I would be looked upon as middle class by many - so the divide isn't as clear cut as that.

There is still an ongoing sanitisation of the game which I don't like though. I went to games as a kid and heard swearing etc, I was just told not to repeat that sort of language myself and to be honest heard worse in the school playground. I do the same with my kids here, whilst there isn't quite the 'edge' to matches in the A-League (largely because the huge distances means no many away fans) there is still the same sort of abuse and swearing in the chants but I don't keep my kids away from it. It's up to me as a parent to let them know what is and want isn't acceptable for them to say.

But whether it be "Dagenham's a **** hole" in League 2 or "Your sister is a stripper, your mother is a stripper, your Grandma is a stripper, the Gold Coast family" in the A-League that sort of chanting at football has long been a part of the game and long may it continue to be so. When we have unsegregated grounds and sit politely alongside rival fans then it becomes Rugby - and I've had to go to a few Rugby games (as my work sponsor Queensland Reds in the Super 15) and done just that and it's as boring as hell believe me.

I used to be working class, but am now proudly middle class.

It is easy to adapt the songs to suit my new social standing:

'You're going (not gonna) to get your flipping head kicked in'.

'The referees a numpty'

Etc

That way my two sons, Tarquin and Jeremy, can join in and we can all eat our freshly prepared cous cous, with a tropical coulis, at half time, knowing we haven't lowered ourselves to the standards of the riff raff in the cheap seats.

I'd say calling someone's sister a slag and that someone else fingers their mum was not ideal to listen to whilst watching a recent match with one of my kids. Next generation shouldn't be kept away from games and that is a danger.

The 'next generation' are predominantly degenerate psychopaths, so I don't think a few naughty songs are really going to scar them.

Half the best songs have a pop at the oppostion.

1) "You go to the pub, you drink ten pints"
2) "In your XXXX slums"
3) Feed the Scousers, let them know its Christman time (Tranmere in the cup)

You can tell your doing well when this is the thing people choose to moan about........

Maybe we could become the first club to turn this on its head and start singing songs about the beauty of our rivals towns.

We have Cheltenham away in a few weeks and it could be a great chance to start.

"I want to live here
"I want to live here
Its got shops and some races,
Cheltenham got wonderful places"

As that song ends I would then like to see the so called trouble makers like True Blue, B&S etc unleash a banner with "Make love not war". At the same time the rest of crowd could start singing (For example) Paul McCartneys "Frog Song".

Maybe the Cheltenham fans could join in too and we could combine the football with a sort of ho-down. At the end we could all run onto the pitch and have an impromptue Disposable BBQ session (As long as they are raised of the ground).

The Cheltenhams fans could sing Southend songs and we could chant theres until late into the night.

That would really make the day special.

All together now "Bom, Bom, Bom - Ayiah,Bom, Bom, Bom - Ayiah, Sink or swim, play the game".........

Maybe we could become the first club to turn this on its head and start singing songs about the beauty of our rivals towns.

We have Cheltenham away in a few weeks and it could be a great chance to start.

"I want to live here
"I want to live here
Its got shops and some races,
Cheltenham got wonderful places"

As that song ends I would then like to see the so called trouble makers like True Blue, B&S etc unleash a banner with "Make love not war". At the same time the rest of crowd could start singing (For example) Paul McCartneys "Frog Song".

Maybe the Cheltenham fans could join in too and we could combine the football with a sort of ho-down. At the end we could all run onto the pitch and have an impromptue Disposable BBQ session (As long as they are raised of the ground).

The Cheltenhams fans could sing Southend songs and we could chant theres until late into the night.

That would really make the day special.

All together now "Bom, Bom, Bom - Ayiah,Bom, Bom, Bom - Ayiah, Sink or swim, play the game".........

Is it just me that thinks that chant would be a cracking idea?

I'm glad this topic was brought up actually.

Personally I don't mind the chant against say orient etc or someone we have a real rivalry with.

My real question is did anyone see on the way out from the ground walking on that road that lead to the main road a young southend fan wearing the away shirtm brown hair and glasses. he was walking along the road arms up in the air singing that dagengam was a ******** etc song on his own. he seemed like he was proper on something. he was huffing and puffing like he had just had a huge fight then he jumped on a car bonet and started jumping up and down on it. He then got the reaction he was looking for from people walking past including southend fans calling him a total plank. I remember there was a family of a mother father and two little girls. They were bricking it so if that lad is on here I hope your proud of yourself, scaring the crap out of kids. funnily enough my 7 year old nephew even said himself what a total Idiot!!

First time I have been ashamed of one of my fellow supporters.

Darren's Mum's a what?

DTS - small flaw with that idea: Cheltenham really has no good places in it. Trust me, I lived near there for 11 years.

Sorry you cant say that in case the Cheltenham fans get offended. Lets hope the famous Cheltenham Murder Squad (CMS) dont read this......

Why oh why do we sing this moronic song? Hate it when away fans sing it to us and hate it even more when we show a complete lack of respect by singing it at other grounds.

I expect Daggers fans realise they don't live in a particularly picturesque area but then parts of Southend are n't great either! And anyway that is not the point.

12 of us sat in their main stand and when we stood up to applaud our goals there was no vitriol and hate shown to us in fact the locals were very welcoming and had a good chat with us.

Daggers are a proper footy club so no need for the imbecilic chanting by a minority of fans inside or outside the ground. We are better than that.

Rant over

HAHAHAHA

Haven't heard a decent reply song to it yet
How about to the same tune
You better go home
your teams f****** useless

:'( At least it might stop it being sung

When away fans sing it to us at RH we sing back "you cant go home, you cant go home, your here on holiday you cant go home"

I'm glad this topic was brought up actually.

Personally I don't mind the chant against say orient etc or someone we have a real rivalry with.

My real question is did anyone see on the way out from the ground walking on that road that lead to the main road a young southend fan wearing the away shirtm brown hair and glasses. he was walking along the road arms up in the air singing that dagengam was a ******** etc song on his own. he seemed like he was proper on something. he was huffing and puffing like he had just had a huge fight then he jumped on a car bonet and started jumping up and down on it. He then got the reaction he was looking for from people walking past including southend fans calling him a total plank. I remember there was a family of a mother father and two little girls. They were bricking it so if that lad is on here I hope your proud of yourself, scaring the crap out of kids. funnily enough my 7 year old nephew even said himself what a total Idiot!!

First time I have been ashamed of one of my fellow supporters.

Chanting is one thing, matty, but like you I am ashamed that one of our fellow supporters would behave like that.

To be blunt that's just simple straightforward criminal damage and should be treated as such.

I presume the car you're talking about would have been in Victoria Road itself and would therefore have belonged to one of the residents, as they shut the road to non-residents on matchdays, and as such has done nothing to deserve that other than live near a football ground. So some poor bloke has now got a damaged car because he happens to live near the ground, a bloke no different to any of us except he lives in Dagenham and now has a reason to hate Southend United coming to town because some muppet has trashed his car.

Now, I've enjoyed both trips to Daggers this season, probably more so because we won both :winking:, but also because they seem to be a proper football club with a good bunch of supporters which has achieved a lot in a few years and have not experienced anything untoward but the actions by someone as described above is exactly the way to go about creating tension.

How would we feel if Daggers fans were to walk down Shakespeare Drive jumping on cars? I think we would, rightly, be condemning them out of hand.

I like to go to the game, have a few beers, a bit of a sing and a bit of banter but when it comes to damaging other peoples property that is out of order. Whoever you are, hang your head in shame, I'm not sure I want people like you associated with this club.:thumbdown:

Chanting is one thing, matty, but like you I am ashamed that one of our fellow supporters would behave like that.

To be blunt that's just simple straightforward criminal damage and should be treated as such.

I presume the car you're talking about would have been in Victoria Road itself and would therefore have belonged to one of the residents, as they shut the road to non-residents on matchdays, and as such has done nothing to deserve that other than live near a football ground. So some poor bloke has now got a damaged car because he happens to live near the ground, a bloke no different to any of us except he lives in Dagenham and now has a reason to hate Southend United coming to town because some muppet has trashed his car.

Now, I've enjoyed both trips to Daggers this season, probably more so because we won both :winking:, but also because they seem to be a proper football club with a good bunch of supporters which has achieved a lot in a few years and have not experienced anything untoward but the actions by someone as described above is exactly the way to go about creating tension.

How would we feel if Daggers fans were to walk down Shakespeare Drive jumping on cars? I think we would, rightly, be condemning them out of hand.

I like to go to the game, have a few beers, a bit of a sing and a bit of banter but when it comes to damaging other peoples property that is out of order. Whoever you are, hang your head in shame, I'm not sure I want people like you associated with this club.:thumbdown:

exactly my feelings on the matter. Agree 100%. I just felt there was no need for it what so ever and as you say someone has a car with possible damage caused by him now. Personally I think us as sufc fans are a lot better than that.

I hope Daggers stay up. nice little ground, supporters seem alright and have nothing bad to say about them!

Just a shame this happened in my eyes.

OK, I'll admit the class analogy was a lazy one.

As much as I consider myself working class at heart I'm also a bank manager who lives comfortable in a nice house with a couple of new motors in the garage. So I'm sure I would be looked upon as middle class by many - so the divide isn't as clear cut as that.

There is still an ongoing sanitisation of the game which I don't like though. I went to games as a kid and heard swearing etc, I was just told not to repeat that sort of language myself and to be honest heard worse in the school playground. I do the same with my kids here, whilst there isn't quite the 'edge' to matches in the A-League (largely because the huge distances means no many away fans) there is still the same sort of abuse and swearing in the chants but I don't keep my kids away from it. It's up to me as a parent to let them know what is and want isn't acceptable for them to say.

But whether it be "Dagenham's a **** hole" in League 2 or "Your sister is a stripper, your mother is a stripper, your Grandma is a stripper, the Gold Coast family" in the A-League that sort of chanting at football has long been a part of the game and long may it continue to be so. When we have unsegregated grounds and sit politely alongside rival fans then it becomes Rugby - and I've had to go to a few Rugby games (as my work sponsor Queensland Reds in the Super 15) and done just that and it's as boring as hell believe me.

It's also boring as hell hearing the same chant each week. If it's not us singing it at team X, it's team Y singing it us. And the same song is being sung at every game in the country. Yawn. There's no edge to it, no imagination, no wit, no originality and no identity to it. It doesn't engage the opposition fans as they are so use to hearing it/singing it every week as well. It doesn't support your side and half of our own fans are too embarrassed by the pathetic nature of it to join in anyway, so it doesn't create any atmosphere either.

This isn't about sanitisation, it's about the homogenisation of football. That song has nothing unique to identify it to Southend and nothing unique to identify it about Dagenham other than the interchangeable place name either. Pretending that we have some sort of rivalry with Dagenham is laughable. We don't and that song added absolutely no "edge" to proceedings.

Back