• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Agree with Scott its what footballs about, Banter (whether right or wrong) and abit of rivalry

"Dagenham's a Sh*t hole so i went home"

It's also boring as hell hearing the same chant each week. If it's not us singing it at team X, it's team Y singing it us. And the same song is being sung at every game in the country. Yawn. There's no edge to it, no imagination, no wit, no originality and no identity to it. It doesn't engage the opposition fans as they are so use to hearing it/singing it every week as well. It doesn't support your side and half of our own fans are too embarrassed by the pathetic nature of it to join in anyway, so it doesn't create any atmosphere either.

This isn't about sanitisation, it's about the homogenisation of football. That song has nothing unique to identify it to Southend and nothing unique to identify it about Dagenham other than the interchangeable place name either. Pretending that we have some sort of rivalry with Dagenham is laughable. We don't and that song added absolutely no "edge" to proceedings.

Surely thay only happened in Milk Cup games.

i see the guy jump on the car but later on he got in the car so i assume it was his mates but if it was my car i would of kidney punched him till he passed out

my twopenneth FWIW. Chants like the one mentioned are pretty unfunny TBH. The fact that Dagenham is a s hitehole actually compounds the felony. I know architectural students will wax lyrical about the Becontree estate's history, the banjos, the "cottages in the country" and the fact it was the biggest pre war council estate in the world BUT would you want to live there.
The best chants are ones that are positive about our team or town (even in an ironic way). I really don't want opposition fans to go home nd think that Southend fans are a bunch of ******s because basically we're not.
As for the prat on the car. He is just that. Disgraceful. And he'd have a seizure if any one did something similar to his property.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say calling someone's sister a slag and that someone else fingers their mum was not ideal to listen to whilst watching a recent match with one of my kids. Next generation shouldn't be kept away from games and that is a danger.
I have taken my son's, and various freind's son's and daughter's to see Southend play for many years. All from the age of about 7years old. I have always told them from the first match onwards that they must rember that " Wot goes on at football stay's at football, " when songs are sung that are a bit "iffy" or someone F' and blinds" at the ref or players. And if their Mother or parents find out that they have been singing any of these song's, or go around lord mayoring at school,home ect, I wont be able to bring them along again. Now i have found this has worked in two way's.
1. They all now support Southend United, well my youngest 18 also follows Manure but i do have the exscuse that he moved to Glasgow at 7 years old with his mother after our divorce and I only had him under my influance for short holidays ect. His elder brother, who incidently cooks for a lot of you, your tea at the Fish House,then gets off early to watch most of the second half is a chip off the old block. stands up, sings at the top of his voice, even wanted to get involved in helping the stewards to stop the leeds scum fans getting into the west stand when they tried to push the gates down at half time between west and east a few seasons ago.

On the basis that people sing Joy Division,and therfore might like New Order, how about the below to the theme of Blue Monday . Only two verses as otherwise too difficult to remember. I'm sure others can do better, but at least its original
How does it feel
When we score again
When we go 14 games unbeaten
And show you who we are

We are the mighty Southend
And we are going to win again
Tell me how does it feel to be a shrimper
With Southend set to win again

SOUTHEND clap clap clap
Southend Clap clap clap

Last edited:
2. 2. Oops pressed wrong button on laptop sorry!

I have found this has helped to teach them there are many different ways to behave in life. Wots goes on in one place is wrong in another. Non of them have turned into bad people. They dont go around beating up other people because they dont agree with them. They dont go around lord mayoring for the sake of it. If they do sware its more of an exclamation mark than swareing for the sake of swaring if you know wot i mean. I have also found football is a great way to bond with my kid's,sort of a special secret between dad or uncle and the kid's. My dad did it with me. Taking me to Roots Hall from the mid 60's. I, Tilly, King Kev and the boys were able to repay him for over 80years of support by taking him to Cardiff to see the games their !! Have promised him a trip to Wembley if we get there this season.
IMO football does a lot more good for kid's than bad !

I have taken my son's, and various freind's son's and daughter's to see Southend play for many years. All from the age of about 7years old. I have always told them from the first match onwards that they must rember that " Wot goes on at football stay's at football, " when songs are sung that are a bit "iffy" or someone F' and blinds" at the ref or players. And if their Mother or parents find out that they have been singing any of these song's, or go around lord mayoring at school,home ect, I wont be able to bring them along again. Now i have found this has worked in two way's.
1. They all now support Southend United, well my youngest 18 also follows Manure but i do have the exscuse that he moved to Glasgow at 7 years old with his mother after our divorce and I only had him under my influance for short holidays ect. His elder brother, who incidently cooks for a lot of you, your tea at the Fish House,then gets off early to watch most of the second half is a chip off the old block. stands up, sings at the top of his voice, even wanted to get involved in helping the stewards to stop the leeds scum fans getting into the west stand when they tried to push the gates down at half time between west and east a few seasons ago.

I agree with most of what you say and football experiences equip kids for certain things that they encounter at school and life in general. Most chants are sweary and mildly abusive to the opposition and it doesn't majorly bother me. My eldest has been going since the age of 6 and has walked through dodgy Leeds streets to get from the station to Elland Road and has stood a few feet from Swansea fans abusing us for being English (and then treated us like heroes after the final whistle!) and I think its good for her. The chanting at Rotherham though was too explicit and was directed at our own. Some people do need to recognise that there are kids there and some lines should be drawn and that some families will stay away if they are not. Contrast that to the away matches at Southampton where their fans totally love us, or Doncaster where everyone with Sky TV loved us - that makes you proud to be a Shrimper and if all teams remembered us like that I'd see that as a big improvement.

Contrast that to the away matches at Southampton where their fans totally love us, or Doncaster where everyone with Sky TV loved us - that makes you proud to be a Shrimper and if all teams remembered us like that I'd see that as a big improvement.

No wonder we were loved at both away games, we were given a ****ing good hiding on the pitch. I don't think our support should aspire to being 'loveable losers'.

I agree with the 'lack of variation' criticism.

"YYZ's a sh!thole, I wanna go home" lacks imagination. It's not banter, it's mindless, inane insult.

Club- or game-specific chanting is much more fun to join in with. A few examples from my days watching Southend:
1) Luton Town away - "Sit down, or you'll get thrown out" (which we started singing at Paul Byrne as he was warming up along the touchline, referring to their over-bearing stewarding policy
2) Notts County fans singing Bjork's "It's oh so quiet, shhhh, shhhh" at Roots Hall (and they were right)

The best away days are when there's interaction with the other fans, not just exchanges of insults. Donnie away in the playoffs, when we were being trounced, "We're gonna win 6-5", dancing the conga, got us massive respect from the Donnie fans. Likewise the last game of our Championship season at Southampton, great atmoshpere and again we didn't have to stoop to "Southampton's a sh!thole, Iwanna go home".

Preston NE is actually rife with potential, not least because of this tradition: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-14268607

With all the club nicknames and corporate stadium sponsoring that goes on now, there's plenty of scope for genuine (witty) banter.

Ok....my two pennethworth then! I dont really like the chant because it seems a bit boring BUT it is only banter! I prefer chants that are a bit funnier and original...such as when we sang to Oxford that they couldnt go home because they were here on holiday! At the end of the day, I would rather have bitter rivalry inside the ground but friendly banter outside! I have made hundreds of friends who support other teams to whom I have happily shouted abuse during matches (and them to us) only to have a beer and a laugh afterwards........

Turning to the Southampton and Doncaster games and reaction....these fans like us not because our team was sh!t but because of our reaction to losing....we are having a party whatever the score! Its the way we deal with the hurt of the situation and actually I look back on those matches with great affection and pride, whilst I look back at matches like Burton and Crewe away last season with a sense of great pain! So I am all for raising the roof when we lose and I think it is that which sets us apart and of which we should be rightfully proud....

hit im on the ead
hit im on the ead
hit im on the ead with a baseball bat
oh yeah
oh yeah

or ifd i ad the wings of a sparrow
if i had the arse of a crow
id fly over ******* tommoroww
and **** on the *******s below

or your gonna die outside
your gonna die outside
your gonna die
your gonna die outside

to the tune of thoise were the days

any other good 70's 80's chants
Too many to mention...........Most far better than the "s***hole" chant which even I am beginning to find repetitive,boring,unoriginal and a lot of the time wrong...... It did'nt seem like a proper away match at Dagenham on Saturday. With both my parents coming from Ilford I spent a lot of my informative years backwards and forward from Leigh to Dagenham,Barking,Beacontree Heath,etc visiting friends and relatives. The area was like a second home.Even went to Daggers ground a few times around 40 years ago. If you saw the state of it then you can't help but be impressed by the transformation. It's a palace now by comparision.

This thread reminded me of a game some years ago during Stan Collymore's season. We were playing Bristol Rovers at home (3-0 to us in the end, I think. Two from Stan), and a Rovers sub was warming up along the east touchline. Anyway, he had a bit of an afro and looked rather like dull Brit-soul singer Billy Ocean. Cue chants of 'One Billy Ocean, there's only one Billy Ocean'. This went on for ages, with the sub trying harder and harder to ignore them. Finally, he chuckled, turned to the North Bank and waved. Within a couple of seconds the North Bank were pointing at him and singing 'Billy Ocean is a w****er is a w****er'. One of my favourite songs ever; funny, imaginative and sharp (no one was offended...the sub just laughed).

I'm pretty old now, and I rarely swear at football, mainly because my friend's son now sits with us, but we shouldn't be too precious. We have some morons in our stands, but we always did. The people at Dagenham were lovely and, to be fair to us, their fans started the 'you come from the sh*t part of Essex' chant. It made me laugh, to be honest.

their fans started the 'you come from the sh*t part of Essex' chant. It made me laugh, to be honest.

That's because you've never heard it before. It's why I liked the Tilbury's too posh for you song that one of ours made up. It's original rather than singing a generic song.

You sing insulting songs at football. It's called having a laugh. No one takes offence just as I don't take offence at people singing songs about Southend. It's called grown men having a bit of a laugh and letting off a bit of steam.

Life is too serious as it is.

The fact that all the songs stay the same and you just substitute one clubs name for another proves that it's nothing personal. I think you'll find most towns in the UK have areas you could describe as ****holes.

COME ON YOU BLUE BOYS!

You sing insulting songs at football. It's called having a laugh. No one takes offence just as I don't take offence at people singing songs about Southend. It's called grown men having a bit of a laugh and letting off a bit of steam.

Life is too serious as it is.

The fact that all the songs stay the same and you just substitute one clubs name for another proves that it's nothing personal. I think you'll find most towns in the UK have areas you could describe as ****holes.

COME ON YOU BLUE BOYS!

Agree with some of that. Not sure about the part in bold though.

The fact that all the songs stay the same and you just substitute one clubs name for another proves that it's nothing personal.

The fact that all the songs stay the same and you just substitute one clubs name for another proves that it's totally banal.

Back