• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

with a passion too...
when I was a kid our school was full of em.
Rather stick pins in my eyes than go to upton park

According to one of their message boards they're going to be drinking in the Golden Lion. Good luck to them!

I can't say I dislike them, but the 'academy of football' stuff is very irritating. In my time they have only threatened the top of the league once (mid 80's) but been relegated several times. Their football has been no better than - for example - Spurs over a long period. They failed to build on the 'we won the world cup' era and were a mid table side even then. They seem over a long period of time to lack the will to become a team that makes the most of what it has, that builds on its very large and (round the East End) extremely local fan base. In terms of the top league they are also rans and never look likely to be anything else. Good luck to them if now they manage to establish themselves in the Premiership and kick on towards the top. But it does seem unlikely

That's the main issue for me. Their own message boards are stating that there are more West Ham fans in Southend than Blues fans, many of whom were born in Southend and slag us off.

We all know that's a myth. Even if you said only 50% of Southend's support comes from inside it's own town, it'd mean last season there would have to have been over 2,500 travelling from Southend to Upton Park. As people who've been on relatively empty trains and unclogged roads on Hammers match days will testify, that simply isn't the case. Nowhere near.

As far as armchair fans go, one legacy of Tilson's reign was the proliferation of Southend shirts and leaisurewear being worn and seen up and down the High Street and around the town. 10 years ago you probably did see more West Ham shirts. Today, though, it's a totally different story.

The current owners are fairly despicable characters, and the media love-in for all things West Ham is fairly distasteful. Their supporters? Meh. A few idiots who think they are the best supporters in the country but we also have a few that share similar levels of arrogance and delusion.

Ex neighbours used to support them, hated seeing the adult size shirt alongside the kid's one on the washing line.
Snap, except my neighbours Wet Spam shirts had white streaks all down them, amazing what a bit of bleach and a fairy liquid bottle can do. :winking:

We all know that's a myth. Even if you said only 50% of Southend's support comes from inside it's own town, it'd mean last season there would have to have been over 2,500 travelling from Southend to Upton Park. As people who've been on relatively empty trains and unclogged roads on Hammers match days will testify, that simply isn't the case. Nowhere near.

As far as armchair fans go, one legacy of Tilson's reign was the proliferation of Southend shirts and leaisurewear being worn and seen up and down the High Street and around the town. 10 years ago you probably did see more West Ham shirts. Today, though, it's a totally different story.

The current owners are fairly despicable characters, and the media love-in for all things West Ham is fairly distasteful. Their supporters? Meh. A few idiots who think they are the best supporters in the country but we also have a few that share similar levels of arrogance and delusion.

You're right about the increase in Blues shirts around the town when we were successful in the Tilly era but since we have dropped down to league 2 the numbers seem to have been reduced. I've seen more claret and blue appearing in the last couple of years and with the increasing number of people moving out of east London to this area, that is likely to increase unless we have some success again.

That's because they are armchair supporters.

You have to put up with them in pubs the whole time "Me, I'm West Ham mate. Who do you support mate? Southend mate? They are ****ing **** mate. I was watching us on Sky the other week...."

**** OFF AND DIE YOU ABSOLUTE ****

Every spammer I have listened to has had "Delusions of Grandeur" and if any are reading our board get a grown up to explain that for you :winking:
They all remind me of that Harry Enfield charecter

No real problem with the ammers, some of my best friends are hamseters fans but for some reason I am always happier if they lose. Anyway why am I even thinking of them on the day Freddy signs up. COYB

I hate **** Ham with passion, it's a shame we haven't got a keeper sorted, an otherwise I would back on us beating then!

Fair enough they are a load of plebeians, but I'd still do the Dirt Box Derby with Brady
Me too, better form a queue!! On a more serious note though my parents and grandparents all from London/East London/Ilford never supported the Spammers but a cousin from Romford, guess what ? and she tried to indoctrinate me but once a Shrimper etc and finally though I live amongst swathes of Bolton & Man U there's a bloke down the road who moved up from Hockley.....guess what ?

To be fair, there fans are pretty decent and very loyal. I always see West Ham fans in and around this part of Essex, I work with plenty of Hammers, I have lots of season ticket holding friends. They have great away following so I wouldn't say that one play off win means there everywhere.

I would not class them as our rivals and they certainly wouldn't class us as any kind of rival. I say focus more on Col Ewe, Borient and a few others Brighton, Brentford, Gillingham, Daggers, Canvey etc

The only gripe I ever had was the club shop in our town....aside from that, they don't bother me. If anything, we should build relations, could do with a few loans of fringe players/youngsters etc. Wouldn't mind that Montano or Danny Potts.

It is our sworn duty as Shrimpers to have a healthy disrespect for all things Spam.

Only Spams would swagger around towns 30 miles from Upton Park after watching on telly their team finish third in Division Two.

The question is "why hate the Spam?"

The answer is........... Why Not??

I don't hate Col U or Orient - they're pretty much the same sort of supporters as us I've found. I can't abide the Gillingham fans but strangely don't hate the club.

But West Ham is a different kettle of fish. I loathe and despise nearly everything there is to do with them. I hate the fans, I hate the club, I hate the owners (I actually like Big Sam, but he's only temporary), I hate their shirts, that colour combination, and most of all that f-awful song.

Fans all look the same, fat, bald, tattooed....and that's just the women.
Fans are arrogant. They think they are England's answer to Barca. Last season was particularly lovely to watch under Alladyce.
Hardly a trophy to their name, but apparently they alone won the World Cup in '66.
Little Englanders about others not getting behind the country, but Southend is crawling with them and they dont get behind their local team (and they indoctrinate the kids to do the same).
Bang on incessantly about their loyal support. They're based in a city of 8.5 million for pity's sake!

Back