• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I still dream of the day when Southend are successful enough to make the local gloryhunters think twice before choosing another team to support and for a brief glorious moment under Steve Tilson it seemed the tide might be turning in our direction. It wasn't to be but as another famous Southend fan sang "you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one"

????? I never knew John Lennon was a Roots Hall regular?? Brilliant!!

Was Watford really that long ago????

Errrrrrrr yes!!!! Ha ha.

Only 30 odd. I reserve a dislike for Watford but a particular loathing for that **** Taylor since he broke John McKinven's leg.

Plus the chants of a less enlightemed or PC era casting aspersions upon Reggies sexual preferences. :smile:

To be fair, the thread title does say "why or why not" so people are entitled to say why they don't hate them. Oh, and I'm definitely old enough to remember the Watford rivalry!

For me, apart from any other reasons I've already given, the name "Danny Dyer" is reason enough.

Maybe its got something to do with the attitude that you greet us with...

Every SUFC fan i've ever met has said "he hates West Ham" then after ten mins you realise it was just fashionable to if you don't support them in Essex.

The old Green eyed monster:winking:

You are doing a very good job at single-handedly making me regret my earlier post saying I didn't hate West Ham
You are badly mistaken if you think Southend fans are jealous of West Ham. There must be other football teams you don't like - are you saying that would be all down to jealousy on your part? Many Southend fans obviously hate and despise West Ham (and personally I still don't) but hatred and contempt is very different from jealousy.

Maybe its got something to do with the attitude that you greet us with...

Every SUFC fan i've ever met has said "he hates West Ham" then after ten mins you realise it was just fashionable to if you don't support them in Essex.

The old Green eyed monster:winking:

If I wanted to support a club in a location where I didnt live I wouldnt choose a team that yo-yos between Premiership the CCC :smile:

I have no hatred of anyone who supports them although its a bit sad if someone lives 10 minutes from Roots Hall and choose to support a team miles away. My family come from Islington and as such my 2nd team has always been Arsenal but as soon as I could go to games I went to Southend and was never more than an armchair fan of them. When I have been to the emirates (when Southend were away) I felt like an outsider to be honest.

Everyone should follow their local side, even if its as a 2nd team. That applies to all West Ham/Man Utd/Chelsea etc supporters.

Im sure West Ham fans would feel different if Spurs had got the Olympic stadium....

We've got our fair share of nutters...but that comes with our turf to be fair.

I think most WHUFC fans that go to games are pretty honest and are more than up for a bit of self **** taking.

On another note...where does the line stop going east where Southend become more supported than The Hammers ?

To be honest it isn't a smooth ride supporting either team. The fact that they organise pre-season friendlies is because they have a good working relationship. It's just those beer swilling drunken monsters out there that associate football and animosity towards other humans as going hand in hand.

I've never had a problem supporting both teams.

One game 3 years ago....sums up your knowledge:zzzzz:

Now now, we both know there are plenty of other examples and that I've simply chosen the one with the most readily-available footage of Darwin's theories being proven to be largely accurate. Some of the single-celled life emerging from the Bobby Moore stand can be seen to mutate as it wobbles.

I still dream of the day when Southend are successful enough to make the local gloryhunters think twice before choosing another team to support and for a brief glorious moment under Steve Tilson it seemed the tide might be turning in our direction. It wasn't to be but as another famous Southend fan sang "you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one"

????? I never knew John Lennon was a Roots Hall regular?? Brilliant!!

Gloryhunters ....:stunned:

You are having a laugh aren't you ??

Now now, we both know there are plenty of other examples and that I've simply chosen the one with the most readily-available footage of Darwin's theories being proven to be largely accurate. Some of the single-celled life emerging from the Bobby Moore stand can be seen to mutate as it wobbles.

The East End is a tough area...to paint us all like that is far from fair

If I wanted to support a club in a location where I didnt live I wouldnt choose a team that yo-yos between Premiership the CCC :smile:

I have no hatred of anyone who supports them although its a bit sad if someone lives 10 minutes from Roots Hall and choose to support a team miles away. My family come from Islington and as such my 2nd team has always been Arsenal but as soon as I could go to games I went to Southend and was never more than an armchair fan of them. When I have been to the emirates (when Southend were away) I felt like an outsider to be honest.

Everyone should follow their local side, even if its as a 2nd team. That applies to all West Ham/Man Utd/Chelsea etc supporters.

Im sure West Ham fans would feel different if Spurs had got the Olympic stadium....

You know how many legal agreements AFC have ignored while building their new stadium ?

The place should be torn down because of the planning promises that Hill-Wood has cheated the locals with.

Your 2nd team moved from being Unpopular with small crowds in South London to moving within 2 miles of the capitals biggest club at the time (Spuds). Then thanks to a corrupt Henry Norris in charge...Arsenal got promoted illegally.

Funnily enough....Arsenal don't advertise any of this.

Should you have anything to do with a club like this ??

You are doing a very good job at single-handedly making me regret my earlier post saying I didn't hate West Ham
You are badly mistaken if you think Southend fans are jealous of West Ham. There must be other football teams you don't like - are you saying that would be all down to jealousy on your part? Many Southend fans obviously hate and despise West Ham (and personally I still don't) but hatred and contempt is very different from jealousy.

Its just an opinion...everyone has one.

Your team coach is parked 5 mins away from my house just off Crow Lane here in Romford. Does it bother me ?

West Ham opens a store in Southend...and you lot go ape.

Spurs have a shop in Chelmsford...plenty of West Ham fans there.

I think its jealousy personally...and reading most posts on this thread backs up my pathalogical view.

A long dead family relative was the groundsman at WHU's training ground at Chadwell Heath through the 50's and 60's. When I was at school in the 1960's and 70's, I supported Southend but my Nan lived in Fulham so my Dad used to take me there sometimes and this relative got me West Ham tickets as well. I therefore grew up supporting 3 teams, Southend, Fulham and West Ham in that order.

I have many friends and family who support the Hammers and they aren't bald, thuggish louts although it does seem that West Ham have more than their fair share. However, no worse than Spurs fans to be honest.

There are 2 clubs West Ham fans usually have kind words for... us and Charlton. We are simply not their rivals; we are to them as Canvey are to us. There are clubs I absolutely detest - Leeds, Birmingham and Man City, for instance - but I don't particularly hate the fans that support them. We have plenty of thuggish idiots among our fanbase so aren't really in a great position to throw insults about concerning visiting fans! I was there on Saturday and didn't see a hint of trouble in the ground... a few bits of banter thrown over at the West stand but it seemed good natured.

Personally I'm glad they turned up in such numbers... it has given us a lot of money, which we need.

A long dead family relative was the groundsman at WHU's training ground at Chadwell Heath through the 50's and 60's. When I was at school in the 1960's and 70's, I supported Southend but my Nan lived in Fulham so my Dad used to take me there sometimes and this relative got me West Ham tickets as well. I therefore grew up supporting 3 teams, Southend, Fulham and West Ham in that order.

I have many friends and family who support the Hammers and they aren't bald, thuggish louts although it does seem that West Ham have more than their fair share. However, no worse than Spurs fans to be honest.

There are 2 clubs West Ham fans usually have kind words for... us and Charlton. We are simply not their rivals; we are to them as Canvey are to us. There are clubs I absolutely detest - Leeds, Birmingham and Man City, for instance - but I don't particularly hate the fans that support them. We have plenty of thuggish idiots among our fanbase so aren't really in a great position to throw insults about concerning visiting fans! I was there on Saturday and didn't see a hint of trouble in the ground... a few bits of banter thrown over at the West stand but it seemed good natured.

Personally I'm glad they turned up in such numbers... it has given us a lot of money, which we need

As I stated previously the 2 clubs have a good working relationship and long may it continue.

You know how many legal agreements AFC have ignored while building their new stadium ?

The place should be torn down because of the planning promises that Hill-Wood has cheated the locals with.

Your 2nd team moved from being Unpopular with small crowds in South London to moving within 2 miles of the capitals biggest club at the time (Spuds). Then thanks to a corrupt Henry Norris in charge...Arsenal got promoted illegally.

Funnily enough....Arsenal don't advertise any of this.

Should you have anything to do with a club like this ??

I dont have anything to do with them, but not because of any of the reasons above.

I was born into an Arsenal supporting family that migrated to Southend, I chose to support Southend when I was old enough. I follow them but no longer really care a lot if they lose, where if Southend draw at home to Burton it ruins my weekend.

Like everyone should I support my local club, unlike the plastic Premiership fans who are Hammers/Gooners/Spurs fans through and through, when they live 2 miles from Roots Hall.

I dont blame anyone for supporting a big club, League one/two doesnt interest many, but everyone should support their local side in someway.

Its reading comments on your forum from people who live in Leigh calling Southend "them" when they live closer to Southend than West Ham that just sounds ridiculous.

I dont have anything to do with them, but not because of any of the reasons above.

I was born into an Arsenal supporting family that migrated to Southend, I chose to support Southend when I was old enough. I follow them but no longer really care a lot if they lose, where if Southend draw at home to Burton it ruins my weekend.

Like everyone should I support my local club, unlike the plastic Premiership fans who are Hammers/Gooners/Spurs fans through and through, when they live 2 miles from Roots Hall.

I dont blame anyone for supporting a big club, League one/two doesnt interest many, but everyone should support their local side in someway.

Its reading comments on your forum from people who live in Leigh calling Southend "them" when they live closer to Southend than West Ham that just sounds ridiculous.

To be fair Jam_Man, if work took you to live in Colchester and a Col U fan was reading SZ about a forthcoming derby, you'd be calling Col U "them" when in fact they would be your local club... or have I misunderstood you?

Back