• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The regions roughest pubs.

The Oakwood, Eastwood. Full of gypsies many years ago, some very seriously hard lads who would always sit with their backs to the wall so they could see their foe coming. Funny enough, when I worked in Progress Road I used to drink in there alot and never had any problems at all. The only time I saw trouble in there was when some poor bugger was having the snot knocked out of him by a nutter with a pool cue. I said to a mate at the time that we should stop it and he replied that wasn't a good idea, I had never heard of Pat Tate at the time.

Ah, my local of choice for a few years starting in 1990 when I moved in to the area. I worked behind the bar for quite a while and saw many a haymaker thrown from one angle or another. The Bibby's were the family 'of choice' at the time and I remember well a fracas kicked off one Sunday afternoon after football when I was working. Like an idiot and being new and wanting to impress the locals I shot over the bar to put a stop to it and somehow managed to end up with my hand round a middle aged guys neck, pinning him up against the exit door while a group of other regulars were pinning this unknown pykey to the floor. Next thing I know I'm being hauled off to the adjacent bar next door by two large familiar faces and quietly being told that due to my ignorance of who I just manhandled and what with me being new to the pub and the area that they'd treat it as a mistake and leave it there. It's one of those moments that will always stay with me for as long as I live. Still drink down there now and again but it's all changed now, sadly :(

I believe a lot of pubs in the area, had their fair share of 'characters' back in the 70's and 80's. You would have had to be a brave man (or headcase) to venture into the Public bar of the Elms in the mid 70's when George Page and his entourage were the main 'geezers' back then.
Also The White Horse (Rocket Ronnie Anderson) and Anne Boleyn in Rochford had several 'families' as regulars. Not forgetting Ron Pearce, landlord of The Kings Head in Rochford Square, who also had some regulars, you would'nt want to upset.

I believe a lot of pubs in the area, had their fair share of 'characters' back in the 70's and 80's. You would have had to be a brave man (or headcase) to venture into the Public bar of the Elms in the mid 70's when George Page and his entourage were the main 'geezers' back then.
Also The White Horse (Rocket Ronnie Anderson) and Anne Boleyn in Rochford had several 'families' as regulars. Not forgetting Ron Pearce, landlord of The Kings Head in Rochford Square, who also had some regulars, you would'nt want to upset.

I had a family connection to the Page's. They were brought up on Kent Avenue, Leigh, near to my house. They were all top of the table bar brawlers. Terry was the toughest, followed closely by Jeff (Who had the most fights) and then George.

I used to know Sue P.the barmaid at the Elms at the time(and occasionally at the Billet)pretty well.She certainly convinced me to avoid the Elms like the plague.

I can't believe no-one has mentioned The Appleton Arms (now known as The Benfleet Tavern). This is a proper khazi.

Ah, my local of choice for a few years starting in 1990 when I moved in to the area. I worked behind the bar for quite a while and saw many a haymaker thrown from one angle or another. The Bibby's were the family 'of choice' at the time and I remember well a fracas kicked off one Sunday afternoon after football when I was working. Like an idiot and being new and wanting to impress the locals I shot over the bar to put a stop to it and somehow managed to end up with my hand round a middle aged guys neck, pinning him up against the exit door while a group of other regulars were pinning this unknown pykey to the floor. Next thing I know I'm being hauled off to the adjacent bar next door by two large familiar faces and quietly being told that due to my ignorance of who I just manhandled and what with me being new to the pub and the area that they'd treat it as a mistake and leave it there. It's one of those moments that will always stay with me for as long as I live. Still drink down there now and again but it's all changed now, sadly :(

Was it the owl man?

The Moon on the Square in Basildon, rough more on a cosmetic scale though, EVERYONE who drinks in there looks like they've been involved in a government experiment that's gone wrong.

The Moon on the Square in Basildon, rough more on a cosmetic scale though, EVERYONE who drinks in there looks like they've been involved in a government experiment that's gone wrong.

Well if they live in Basildon they have, haven't they?

Anyone remember the programme "Toughest Pubs in Britain" on Sky1 or some channel like that about 5 or so years ago? The Railway in Pitsea definetely featured on that.

So did some pub in Tilbury which was quite a shock because I used to play pool in there! if I remember correctly, it had one of those round pool tables which fitted into a corner of the pub which used to evolve round when you wanted to take your shot.
I started a thread in a similar vain recently in the hope of finding a decent boozer to have a beer in before the game. Worrying that more pubs have been mentioned in the negative light !!!

It's like something out of the 70s. No music. Old Decor. Smells of ****.

So did some pub in Tilbury which was quite a shock because I used to play pool in there! if I remember correctly, it had one of those round pool tables which fitted into a corner of the pub which used to evolve round when you wanted to take your shot.
I started a thread in a similar vain recently in the hope of finding a decent boozer to have a beer in before the game. Worrying that more pubs have been mentioned in the negative light !!!

Ye the railway i believe is no longer ... used to be a right dive though. I remember seeing the programme too!

The former Bull (powerhouse) in Basildon was an establishment with equal rep to the Railway in pitsea,what a ********.

Most Manchester pubs where i live are stuck in a time warp.. The loonies carry all sorts naughty weapons into the pubs looking for any trouble..

I once walked through a full riot outside Brocketts one night. That was a bit hairy.

Most pubs down the seafront were rough - Minerva, Forresters, Brocketts... The Ship was rough but then it was burned down and Callaghan took on the Woodgrange which was OK compared to some of the others.

The pub I saw my first fight though was the Dickens.

Oh and the Spread: some of the characters in there from days gone by: Geordie Chris, Paula who did karaoke, Brian the Irish nutter, the barman who dipped his hands in the till: it was like a soap opera at times.

Ah the Dickens. The Wickford one I presume. I saw a few glassings in there, one time the guy next to me a t the bar had a broken glass shoved in his face. Not a great place

Back