• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The regions roughest pubs.

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
Anyone got any nominations?

I have always found a visit to The Sutton Arms to be an unpleasant experience.

Cyril - what's Sonny and Terry's like? Worth dropping in for a swift half on my way home?

The Guilford in Sutton road used to be a "rough" pub and also the "Woodgrange".
Dont know about recently though as I have not visited either of these establishments in years

Anyone got any nominations?

I have always found a visit to The Sutton Arms to be an unpleasant experience.
Yep - the only pub I've got into a fight while walking through the door to get in! I'd volunteer Motels. The Cambridge in shoebury wasn't the best either

Other honourable mentions for nightclubs have to go to monico's in Canvey, and Mr Grays

Yep - the only pub I've got into a fight while walking through the door to get in! I'd volunteer Motels. The Cambridge in shoebury wasn't the best either

Other honourable mentions for nightclubs have to go to monico's in Canvey, and Mr Grays

oh yes the Cambridge" in Ness Road, could always see a fight in there

oh yes the Cambridge" in Ness Road, could always see a fight in there
on the plus side, there was a kebab shop across the road, and they served me when I was 14. Always worth the bus journey and staying the night at my nans!

on the plus side, there was a kebab shop across the road, and they served me when I was 14. Always worth the bus journey and staying the night at my nans!

Haha, I always got served in the Cambridge - despite only being 15 and you are right there were some late night food places open as well.
Think that was the first place that I had "my fumble" :smile:in the alley that ran down the back of the Cambridge:stunned:

Haha, I always got served in the Cambridge - despite only being 15 and you are right there were some late night food places open as well.
Think that was the first place that I had "my fumble" :smile:in the alley that ran down the back of the Cambridge:stunned:
Does your daughter still post on here?

Foresters on the sea front...must be something about that name, there's one up here where the local villains allegedly drink.

Forresters. Saw my first stripper when I was 16 in there. You know the sort, goes round with a pint pot.

There are a few pubs in Rochford, pubs where three generations of the same family drink together and all have the same teddy boy haircut

From my youthful memory to present times some of the more colourful establisments of my mis-spent younger years....

The Tarpot, Benfleet. Pretty rough at the best of times. Before I started drinking there, there had been several instancies of shotguns being waved about including one local hardcase fainting when he had one stuffed up a nostral one evening. Easiest pub in Benfleet to get served in underage back in the day, first pub I ever got drunk in as I remember, on Tuberg Green, rotten as a pear as I was carried out on Gary Beatles shoulder. Now a resturant and bar, haven't set foot in there in years.

The Woodmans, Thundersley. As the late, great Canvey Shrimper could have told you, this place many years ago was a bloodbath on a friday and saturday night. My father used to frequent the place and probably lost a few teeth in there as well as knocking a few out. As he used to say, you had to get drunk in the saloon before you had the bottle to go in the public bar. One famous fight involved a gentleman called Albert Stone, a fearsome man, with a police sargent who decided that the best way to sort out a fracous one evening was to go around the carpark with Albert and sort it out like men. According to my since deceased pater, they nearly killed each other. Mind you, some good came out of it, the old man swiped the coppers trunchon and kept it by his bed. Believe it or not, the place up until recently had a chef who held a Mitchelin Star, wonder if they ever took the piano out of the gents.

The Rayleigh Weir, Rayleigh. Again, was a proper spit and sawdust type place many years ago, simular to The Woodmans it just had a bigger carpark to have a tear-up in.

The Oakwood, Eastwood. Full of gypsies many years ago, some very seriously hard lads who would always sit with their backs to the wall so they could see their foe coming. Funny enough, when I worked in Progress Road I used to drink in there alot and never had any problems at all. The only time I saw trouble in there was when some poor bugger was having the snot knocked out of him by a nutter with a pool cue. I said to a mate at the time that we should stop it and he replied that wasn't a good idea, I had never heard of Pat Tate at the time.

Surprised to hear The Sutton Arms has gone down hill, one of the best days of my life occured there when it was known as The Fishermans. Anyone remember Southend v Lincoln 1981/82? Used to get some tidy bands in there as well. What's The Spa in Hockley like nowadays. We used to call it the Strange Spa due to the oddballs that used to get in there.

From my youthful memory to present times some of the more colourful establisments of my mis-spent younger years....

The Tarpot, Benfleet. Pretty rough at the best of times. Before I started drinking there, there had been several instancies of shotguns being waved about including one local hardcase fainting when he had one stuffed up a nostral one evening. Easiest pub in Benfleet to get served in underage back in the day, first pub I ever got drunk in as I remember, on Tuberg Green, rotten as a pear as I was carried out on Gary Beatles shoulder. Now a resturant and bar, haven't set foot in there in years.

The Woodmans, Thundersley. As the late, great Canvey Shrimper could have told you, this place many years ago was a bloodbath on a friday and saturday night. My father used to frequent the place and probably lost a few teeth in there as well as knocking a few out. As he used to say, you had to get drunk in the saloon before you had the bottle to go in the public bar. One famous fight involved a gentleman called Albert Stone, a fearsome man, with a police sargent who decided that the best way to sort out a fracous one evening was to go around the carpark with Albert and sort it out like men. According to my since deceased pater, they nearly killed each other. Mind you, some good came out of it, the old man swiped the coppers trunchon and kept it by his bed. Believe it or not, the place up until recently had a chef who held a Mitchelin Star, wonder if they ever took the piano out of the gents.

The Rayleigh Weir, Rayleigh. Again, was a proper spit and sawdust type place many years ago, simular to The Woodmans it just had a bigger carpark to have a tear-up in.

The Oakwood, Eastwood. Full of gypsies many years ago, some very seriously hard lads who would always sit with their backs to the wall so they could see their foe coming. Funny enough, when I worked in Progress Road I used to drink in there alot and never had any problems at all. The only time I saw trouble in there was when some poor bugger was having the snot knocked out of him by a nutter with a pool cue. I said to a mate at the time that we should stop it and he replied that wasn't a good idea, I had never heard of Pat Tate at the time.

Surprised to hear The Sutton Arms has gone down hill, one of the best days of my life occured there when it was known as The Fishermans. Anyone remember Southend v Lincoln 1981/82? Used to get some tidy bands in there as well. What's The Spa in Hockley like nowadays. We used to call it the Strange Spa due to the oddballs that used to get in there.

WOAHhhhhh I wont have a bad word said about the Spa! - to be fair its a well run decent pub these days and cant moan at £2.40 - £3 a pint either

WOAHhhhhh I wont have a bad word said about the Spa! - to be fair its a well run decent pub these days and cant moan at £2.40 - £3 a pint either

Back in the day Scott, The Spa was occupied by weirdo's, power drinkers and outright nutcases so you wouldn't venture in there unless you fancied a slow and painful death. I have no doubt that times have a changed. The Spa had a serious rep back in the early 80's.

Remember it well. Covered it in much detail in another thread about how things were on and off the terraces in the old days. We basically all arranged to meet in there before the Lincoln game. That was one very crazy day.

The Guilford in Sutton road used to be a "rough" pub and also the "Woodgrange".
Dont know about recently though as I have not visited either of these establishments in years

The Guildford is still rough. I know because my mates drink there, so I go in now and again.
The Woodgrange was Terry Callaghan's pub. But is no longer there, as it's been redeveloped.

Back