• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Airport Expansion

Heathrow carried 30million more passengers than Amsterdam last year, I think it will be quite a few years yet.

That said, Heathrow, to become a more obvious transfer hub, would need to do some business with one of the budget airlines

I thought they were just making a bigger terminal?

An airport that size would rival the likes of Stansted, Luton, City surely?

Actually all things joking aside there are lots of rumours flying around at the moment and the council are looking at redevelopment for this area - so lets wait and see

Absolutely this. They have some big plans for the area around the old brickworks so this would certainly make sense

I hear rumours of a Greek flight or package by Thomson in the pipeline. Anyone got anything more concrete (such as where in Greece/Greek island) or a story?

http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-23738060

Can't be bad for the continuing upturn in profile. Very well done I say.

Your link didn't work, so re-posting it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-23738060

Everyone I know who has used it reckons it's great, so convenient, plenty of parking and easy for drops offs (unlike Stansted which charges for them).

Rumours this week of Beyonce flying into SEN on her way to V, if it's good enough for her......!

The only drag about SEN for me is that Andrews have a monopoly on the taxis there.I prfer to catch a train into Vic Circus and get a regular cab from there.

Last edited:
I don't really need an expensive, air-conditioned Merc.to take me to Westcliff.

Don't get one then. Just be grateful that there's even a taxi firm operating from there.

Knocking down RBS and Tesco's would be a huge gamble. Need stable investment there and I'm guessing it's for a business park?

Sorry, yes. I can't see either Tescos or RBS moving to be honest. And it wouldn't just be them. It would have to be Strawberry Fields too. The financial incentive and carrots required would be out of all proportion to the potential benefits any of them would have for moving.

That's not to mention the absolute chaos caused long term by the restructuring and redevelopment of the one major artery in and out of Southend and the entire road network in the area.

I'd be staggered if any of it happened.

Sorry, yes. I can't see either Tescos or RBS moving to be honest. And it wouldn't just be them. It would have to be Strawberry Fields too. The financial incentive and carrots required would be out of all proportion to the potential benefits any of them would have for moving.

That's not to mention the absolute chaos caused long term by the restructuring and redevelopment of the one major artery in and out of Southend and the entire road network in the area.

I'd be staggered if any of it happened.

Agreed, I don't think there is any need for it to get to the size of Stansted, Gatwick. It's better staying the size it is and being a decent regional airport rather than trying to punch above their weight. They are on par size and passenger wise with Southampton which is perfect.

The airport director is a very ambitious bloke who used to work at Stansted and made massive improvements their and helped increase the size of their terminal and increase the passenger numbers. I can only imagine he won't want to stop with the expansion of Southend. I know there is a long term plan to include an industrial park the other side of the airport to increase jobs, but I don't know how they are with that now. May of just been a carrot to dangle in front of the council for the runway extension.

It's amazing how much it has changed since I left nearly 3 years ago, and I can only see it getting better as long as Stobarts are willing to pile more money into it.

I am hoping for more flights as I do not enjoy the Gatwick/Heathrow options. City Airport is very pleasant to fly from.
Getting a holiday company such as Thomas Cook or Thomson's using Southend would have me checking their holiday options first before any other company's brochure.

Back