• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team for next Sat:

Bentley

Whatever defence we have available

Leonard Timlin Atkinson

Straker Corr Hurst

Back to basics. This was the formula that did well for us. Straker is fast and direct so provides width and give the midfield some space and an outlet. Hurst has had a dip but some rest should refresh him. Barney hasn't done enough to deserve a start and although I'd like to see Laird back in the team, I'm loathed to make a major change and would give Timlin and Atkinson another game to prove their value alongside Leonard.

Id agree with that.

Whats needed is not new strikers or our strikers to be better, but for the team performances to get back on track.

Shouldnt be regarded as a crisis as we have only lost one game, but our recent form isn't great despite the unbeaten run, far too many draws if we want to be keeping up with the top 3.

We've won one game in the last six. We've played 4-4-2 in just two of those games.

Maybe, just maybe, the underlying issue isn't the formation.

Corr 2 in 13
Eastwood 0 in 13
Barnard 0 in 9

I don't know much about football but those ratio's are terrible.

Love to mislead with stats to support your arguements don't you. I know Freddy hasn't started 13 games since his last goal so I'm assuming you are using his 10 min cameos?

We've won one game in the last six. We've played 4-4-2 in just two of those games.

Maybe, just maybe, the underlying issue isn't the formation.

I think drawing any kind of strong conclusion from just 6 games is likely to be misleading.

We'd done pretty well with 451 this season. The change to 442 hasn't really improved anything, and so I'd want to see us go back to 451. The change in formation will have disrupted several things in the team, and this was visible against Mansfield because our midfield had too many gaps. Our fullbacks were exposed and Corr and Barney couldn't link up. Go back to 451 and we've plugged the midfield, protected our defence, and Hurst and Straker can provide support for Corr. At least it's a safer option for the first half and we have options to change things if it's not working.

I agree that six games is no sample size. My point is that sometimes we're going to lose games of football no matter what formation we play. If Brown thinks the best use of the squad at his disposal is playing a 4-4-2 then he should play that way.

I agree that six games is no sample size. My point is that sometimes we're going to lose games of football no matter what formation we play. If Brown thinks the best use of the squad at his disposal is playing a 4-4-2 then he should play that way.

At least the squad have a week away to work on things, do some decent training, and probably have a bit of an open chat about things. We're at that point where if we don't start consistently winning then we're going to be cut adrift from the top.

Love to mislead with stats to support your arguements don't you. I know Freddy hasn't started 13 games since his last goal so I'm assuming you are using his 10 min cameos?

Here's another stat for you,Fred's last 209 games he has scored 23!.

Tomlin's stats last season were terrible first 10 games or so, yet he did very well in the end.

Good old stats.

I'm sure all of the strikers that you demand will come to us with excellent stats. League Two sides with no money have a history of attracting players with a 1:2 ratio.

Championship striker who was played on the wing drops down 2 divisions to find another club after not setting the world light. What do you actually expect? If Eastwood and Barnard had been banging them in left, right and center at clubs higher in the football league than us then would you really expect them to join us?

Tomlin's stats last season were terrible first 10 games or so, yet he did very well in the end.

Good old stats.

I'm sure all of the strikers that you demand will come to us with excellent stats. League Two sides with no money have a history of attracting players with a 1:2 ratio.

I would be happy with 1in 5 but 1 in 4 would be better.

Broke cash strapped league 2 clubs should never offer long term contracts to players well past their best.

The formation isnt the reason because we seem to only be winning 2 games a month at the moment anyway.

That said we still haven't performed since playing it (albeit just a game and a half), but that's not to say we would have performed if we hadn't changed either.

There aren't any definitive answers.

I personally always preferred 442 but our midfield is our strongest area so it makes sense to have the three central midfielders and that allows our top goal scorer to get forward more. Then I like the idea of having two of the strikers on the pitch as well. Tough choice to be made for PB.

Championship striker who was played on the wing drops down 2 divisions to find another club after not setting the world light. What do you actually expect? If Eastwood and Barnard had been banging them in left, right and center at clubs higher in the football league than us then would you really expect them to join us?

Eastwood had his chance and blew it hence why he is here taking decent money out of the budget,Barnard also had his chance and last couple of years has either been loaned out or not even played,I just hope Saints are paying his wages.

Broke cash strapped league 2 clubs should never offer long term contracts to players well past their best.

No they shouldnt, and Harris was the only one we did that for,and didnt run its full length anyway.

1 in 5 is ok? Thats 9 goals in 46 games.. Corr already has 5. Freddy has 5 in 23, which is more than 1:5 (1in 4.6)

Happy with 1 in 5? Evidently not.

Barnard got 7 in 32 last season at League 1 level, which is better than 1 in 5. In his whole league career, he has averaged 0.34 goals per game - better than 1 in 3.

Corr last season got 13 in 42 games last season, which is around 1 in 3. In his whole league career, he has average 0.22 goals per game - better than 1 in 5.

Eastwood's 2 year contract is out at the end of this season.

Eastwood had his chance and blew it hence why he is here taking decent money out of the budget,Barnard also had his chance and last couple of years has either been loaned out or not even played,I just hope Saints are paying his wages.

Eastwood blew his chance, so he doesn't get to have another club?

Barnard has been kept out of the Southampton side by someone who has cost about 5 times more than he did and has played and scored for England. So he isn't getting games in a club 3 divisions means he can't come a play for us?

Southampton must be paying the vast majority if not all of Barnards wages,His Southampton salary has got to be well over our maximum players wage

Chappertz,

Barnards last 46 games he has scored 7,Nearly 1 in 7.

Stats are great to manipulate arent they ?

League games only :

Oldham Loan games : 14 goals : 3 ratio 1:4.7
Bournemouth Loan games : 15 goals : 4 ratio 1: 3.75
Southampton Games: 38(24) goals : 23 ratio 1:16 if you only count starts, or 2:68 if you include subs appearances.

All of those at a higher level than he is now.

Not great in the last two loans, but within your acceptable levels...

Stats are great to manipulate arent they ?

League games only :

Oldham Loan games : 14 goals : 3 ratio 1:4.7
Bournemouth Loan games : 15 goals : 4 ratio 1: 3.75
Southampton Games: 38(24) goals : 23 ratio 1:16 if you only count starts, or 2:68 if you include subs appearances.

All of those at a higher level than he is now.

Not great in the last two loans, but within your acceptable levels...

Last 46 games 7 goals,They are the facts including 3 games for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back