• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Signing JJ completely confused me but then again we loan out our starlets who are scoring for fun so nothing surprises me from the club.

I agree it's a bit early to make a judgement but he's only here until 24th Jan. He hasn't got much time to impress, so he better show a bit more desire than he has so far, and quickly.

He scored 15 goals from the number 10 position, has he played there? Why on earth is a number 10 playing defensive midfield?!

As I questioned on another thread, is this really a loan period to impress in or is it a tacit agreement, between the two clubs, that he will sign at the end? The business of him having permission to play immediately against his own club rather worries me that it could be the latter. There again, in the next few weeks we can but hope he will be used correctly and will give performances which will persuade us all that PB knows what he's doing in this case.................we can but hope. :unsure:

I really like Clifford, I think he has the right attitude, gets stuck in and can score from distance. I know we will lose him come the end of the season and give it 3-5 years he will be playing L1/Championship.

Exactly this.

P.S. And Atkinson too is seriously under-rated with regards to what he gives the team. You can't find a place for everyone I know but I hope we don't end up losing these guys.

What worries me is what Brown said after the game. Weston was subbed because part from the goal he had done nothing else whereas O'tool was subbed to protect him from a 2nd yellow - not that he had done less than Weston.

It is too early to judge, but equally how many midfielders do we need? The difficult thing for PB is that for the past couple of seasons we have been good, but not quite good enough. That's either an issue with personnel or tactics. I think it's tactics, but if PB thinks it's personnel he's going to have to bring new players in and get rid of what we think are decent players. As such someone like Atkinson (who I rate) may be on the way out, and we go with O'Toole.

I've watched the blues for 25 years and in that time have seen managers whos transfer signings were generally an improvement, managers who's signings were inevitably crap (Peter Taylor and Alvin Martin spring to mind). PB seems to be marooned in the middle - we have decent players who he replaces with more of the same.

This from a cobbler-
Unfortunately for John-Joe and for us he's already built up a history of unceremonious departures from previous employers. It would appear he was little more than a joke figure at Colchester Untied by the time he departed and their fans were happy to be shot of him. And despite having his most productive season by far last year he'd very publicly burned his bridges with the majority of Bristol Rovers fans and staff alike long before the season was over. We knew he was a loose cannon when we signed him I guess the hope was he would fire straight more often than not and give us some much needed creative spark. In reality it looks like the powder may have gone damp and I think we'll do well to offload.

Does not feel you with great hope does it.:sad:

This from a cobbler-
Unfortunately for John-Joe and for us he's already built up a history of unceremonious departures from previous employers. It would appear he was little more than a joke figure at Colchester Untied by the time he departed and their fans were happy to be shot of him. And despite having his most productive season by far last year he'd very publicly burned his bridges with the majority of Bristol Rovers fans and staff alike long before the season was over. We knew he was a loose cannon when we signed him I guess the hope was he would fire straight more often than not and give us some much needed creative spark. In reality it looks like the powder may have gone damp and I think we'll do well to offload.

Does not feel you with great hope does it.:sad:

...clueless Phil comes to the rescue!

Echo most of those thoughts. Last season Atkinson, Timlin and Leonard formed a pretty useful midfield trio. May be wrong but I don't think they have a started a game together so far this season. I rate Clifford there is potentially a very good player if he is allowed to develop, which he won't if left warming the bench.

Thought Brown had lost the plot ages ago, signing O'Toole merely confirms that thought.

Is JJOT this seasons Bedsente Gomis?. If you remember Brown kept this guy hanging about most of the season until we could sign him then when he played was utterly out of his depth, I think he is playing Conference football this season.
Clifford or Atkinson should be playing.

Is JJOT this seasons Bedsente Gomis?. If you remember Brown kept this guy hanging about most of the season until we could sign him then when he played was utterly out of his depth, I think he is playing Conference football this season.
Clifford or Atkinson should be playing.

I've got no idea why we signed him, especially when we have strength in depth in the middle of the park. I noticed Tyrone Barnett's loan at Oxford ended at the weekend...now he is exactly what we need.

I'm not the biggest fan of Brown but surprised people judging Otoole on two games. The bigger issue is the baffling use of players under Brown. Take Saturday as glaring example. 1 up and very obvious after fifteen mins that Wycombe were getting loads of joy in midfield from headers on edge of our box. Otoole gets booked. The move was to sub Otoole and drop in Deegan to shore things up to avoid them getting back into game. He waits till we are losing before making that move. Incredible.

O' Toole has been a disgrace since we signed him. His lack of effort on Saturday was not acceptable, and as mentioned by others, why we have signed him when Clifford has done nothing wrong is baffling. I also look at the negative influence Brown seems to have had on young promising Premiership players we have signed on loan. Woodrow mentioned above, started brightly and faded badly. Coulthirst was signed in front of apparently many other clubs, again started brightly but now cant even get any minutes on the pitch, as his confidence, like Woodrow, has been shot to pieces. Top of them all though is Binnon-Williams. His first few games people were even saying he was better than Coker, and he did look a great signing based on those early performances. Look at him now though, cant defend, cant pass, cant tackle, and looks a liability every time he's near the ball.

Back