• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BoyWonder2

2024, the year of the Shrimpers šŸ¤ ā­
Phil Brown has said that we will definitely have a new signing on board before Saturday's game.

He said his top targets are Stephen McLaughlin, Luke O'Neill and Izale McLeod. Will it be one of those or somebody else?

We still have Owen Garvan on trial, along with Andre Blackman and PB confirmed he has also spoken to Joel Grant & Simeon Jackson.

So, who do we think it is?

Phil Brown has said that we will definitely have a new signing on board before Saturday's game.

He said his top targets are Stephen McLaughlin, Luke O'Neill and Izale McLeod. Will it be one of those or somebody else?

We still have Owen Garvan on trial, along with Andre Blackman and PB confirmed he has also spoken to Joel Grant & Simeon Jackson.

So, who do we think it is?

Dont think its any of them.

He said McLaughin/ONeill may go to the end of the window and Chris Phillips has said he doesnt think its Macleod.

Blackman is only on trial and I would be surprised if he earns a deal.

Yes, I'll go for the "mystery prize" as well - Browny will pull a player out of a hat before the game on Saturday and we will all wonder at his managerial skills ...............

P.S. That reminds me of Paynter suddenly appearing before the 1st game of the season. :'(

I really hope he gives Garvan a chance he could be a really good signing at this level. As for the signing I would like to hope it's a striker as we are seriously lacking in goals.

I really hope he gives Garvan a chance he could be a really good signing at this level. As for the signing I would like to hope it's a striker as we are seriously lacking in goals.

Well that wasn't helped when you take a striker off for a midfielder in the first half

One of our strikers hasnt even played in the league yet either.

Im sure we will get another striker but we have hardly given the current ones a chance yet.

Not sure what we have to lose by offering him a deal to say January and see from there. A bit like the Deegan scenario last season, no one was too sure but in the end in certain games he did a good job. Garvan is without a club, so sure he would jump at the chance to at least try and prove he is worth a contract

Not sure what we have to lose by offering him a deal to say January and see from there.

Agree, but I guess it's all about the wages and working within a budget.

I wonder what Horton's wages are as personally would prefer to have seen those spent on putting a player on the pitch rather than another 'Management' position which I would have expected us to be able to cover from people already at the club ie PB, Coughlin, Barrett, Paul Smith, Ricky Duncan.

I have nothing against Horton at all and hope he adds value and experience to the club but seems a bit of a 'luxury' appointment and smacks of champagne taste with beer money imho - end of season will determine however whether it was money well spent

Saw Horton on Saturday sat in the Directors Box, he was having a go at someone, didn't look at all happy, in fact miserable, wonder how long he stays?

Agree, but I guess it's all about the wages and working within a budget.

I wonder what Horton's wages are as personally would prefer to have seen those spent on putting a player on the pitch rather than another 'Management' position which I would have expected us to be able to cover from people already at the club ie PB, Coughlin, Barrett, Paul Smith, Ricky Duncan.

I have nothing against Horton at all and hope he adds value and experience to the club but seems a bit of a 'luxury' appointment and smacks of champagne taste with beer money imho - end of season will determine however whether it was money well spent

It has been proved on another thread that we have no more staff, players or coaching, than any other clubs in our position. With the departure of Dave Penny we have enough in the budget for Horton.

By the way when Noel Hunt was at the ground to have a look round before giving up his payday in the USA it was Horton (not then officially employed by us) that he was having a long chat with. We wont ever know what sway Horton will ever have regards signings but I doubt it will be negative.

Chris Phillips said on Twitter that it was his understanding that it was definitely one of McLaughlin, O'Neill or McLeod

When ? I dont see any tweet that say that.

Edit: Yep seen his reply now. Its not Mcleod so its therefore Mclaughlin or O Neill.

Back