• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rooney v Charlton

mrsblue

Banned
Currently joint top scorers with Rooney guaranteed to smash Sir Bobby's record and setting the record which IMO will never be broken.

Charlton scored in a different era,his 49 was hard fought against decent teams whilst refs allowed the most violent challenges go unpunished.

Rooney had scored against many virtual pub teams where the slightest touch receives a free kick for the forward.

Whatever Rooney eventually finishes on,I still think Charlton's feat was far superior.

Of course it was, many of Rooney's goals have been scored against "weak" sides. Not so the case with Charlton.

The likes of San Marino, Gibraltar are League Two level. Even Vatican City has a team, but I understand the manager is qute influential!

The likes of San Marino, Gibraltar are League Two level. Even Vatican City has a team, but I understand the manager is qute influential!
They're worse than League 2 level. Most of them aren't even professionals.

That doesn't necessarily mean they are below L2 level (in the main they probably are), just means it's not their profession. I have seen some local musicians who are excellent - but not professional (as in - it's not their living).

Of course it was, many of Rooney's goals have been scored against "weak" sides. Not so the case with Charlton.

That's not true at all. It's just a lazy stat with no substance (the sort Mrs Blue would use against Hogdson & Brown, so I'm surprised it was you and not her - EDIT - Just seen a quote on the original post, and she did lead with it, apologies.).

Twelve of Charlton's goals came in Home Nation / British Championship games, courtesy of Wales, Northern Ireland & Scotland, another nine in four games, two each against Luxembourg & USA, when each were routinely beaten 9/10-0. That's almost half of his goals against **** poor opposition, the sort of record that Rooney's achievement is pulled apart on. At least these days, even the **** poor opposition have professional FA's and better footballing infrastructure & training.

Only 43 players in footballing history have achieved 50 international goals, that would suggest even with the current stock of 'weak teams' that's it's not as easy as everyone is attesting to (assuming he reaches it), to achieve the milestone. We should be lauding Rooney equally with Charlton, but for some reason in this country we far more enjoy stripping our best players bare and tearing them to the ground than actually supporting them.

Last edited:
That's not true at all. It's just a lazy stat with no substance (the sort Mrs Blue would use against Hogdson & Brown, so I'm surprised it was you and not her).

Twelve of Charlton's goals came in Home Nation / British Championship games, courtesy of Wales, Northern Ireland & Scotland, another nine in four games, two each against Luxembourg & USA, when each were routinely beaten 9/10-0. That's almost half of his goals against **** poor opposition, the sort of record that Rooney's achievement is pulled apart on. At least these days, even the **** poor opposition have professional FA's and better footballing infrastructure & training.

Only 43 players in footballing history have achieved 50 international goals, that would suggest even with the current stock of 'weak teams' that's it's not as easy as everyone is attesting to (assuming he reaches it), to achieve the milestone. We should be lauding Rooney equally with Charlton, but for some reason in this country we far more enjoy stripping our best players bare and tearing them to the ground than actually supporting them.

argh I came on here to post exactly that.

There are only 43 players IN HISTORY who have scored more international goals than Rooney.

Reminds me of the San Marino Goalkeeper during the 90's who's main profession was a bus driver, and he used to drive the team coach containing the national squad to the stadiums when on International duty.

That's not true at all. It's just a lazy stat with no substance (the sort Mrs Blue would use against Hogdson & Brown, so I'm surprised it was you and not her).

I want to like this twice. No, three times.

People love bagging Rooney yet he is going to end his career certainly as England's all-time top scorer and very probably as Man Utd's. That's phenomenal.

He's also the default for whenever idiots in the press moan about footballers earning 'too much'. Well **** that. He's got to the top in a sport where almost every male in the country has had a go. Derserves every penny.

To be honest when I clicked on this thread I thought it was about who had the ****test hair.

s_35_346__BobbyCharlton1.jpg

326369_1.jpg

*And breathe*

One thing is - and I'm sure he'd admit as much himself - Rooney's record in major championships has been disappointing since 2004. Maybe some of the attitude towards him comes from that. He's not quite been the player many had hoped but he's still been marvellous.

Currently joint top scorers with Rooney guaranteed to smash Sir Bobby's record and setting the record which IMO will never be broken.

Charlton scored in a different era,his 49 was hard fought against decent teams whilst refs allowed the most violent challenges go unpunished.

Rooney had scored against many virtual pub teams where the slightest touch receives a free kick for the forward.

Whatever Rooney eventually finishes on,I still think Charlton's feat was far superior.

Don't assume a robust approach to the game didn't also help Sir Bobby. Teams that we now consider to be good, were also crap back then.

Teams such as Turkey used to be whipping boys, but not these days. Teams are also far more professional in their approach than back then so even a pub team (as you put it) can be very well disciplined at not conceding, or at least not conceding many.

I guess what I'm saying is that it isn't easy to compare one era so long ago with now. Just accept that Rooney will almost certainly break the record, and you were around to see that little bit of history being made.

Reminds me of the San Marino Goalkeeper during the 90's who's main profession was a bus driver, and he used to drive the team coach containing the national squad to the stadiums when on International duty.

One of their players missed a couple of matches earlier in this campaign because he owns a bar, and none of his staff could cover the dates he'd be away.

What about when it actually counts like in a world cup tournament. 1 goal in about 12 games puts him well behind the likes of Lineker.

What about when it actually counts like in a world cup tournament. 1 goal in about 12 games puts him well behind the likes of Lineker.

Stats here for Euros and WCs. Four behind Lineker (having, admittedly, played at more major championships) but still up there

rooney-england-tournament-goals_3345439.jpg

Tough question. Charlton played in an amazing England team....world cup winners in fact. Bur Charlton was essentially a midfielder. Also I will always maintain that Charlton makes any all time world 11....easily. He was that good. Rooney would not make world 11s, has not played in the best team in the world yet has been a fantastic goal scorer for England. If I had to answer I would say Charlton. ..but we'll done Rooney for an amazing feat...England's record scorer.....mmmmm moist

Interestingly Geoff Hurst only scored 6, with three obviously coming in one match.

Back