• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I took the rest of the development to be the retail/residential/restaurant elements as well as the fourth side, so not necessarily a 3-5 year wait for a Main Stand. That said, you never know...

Personally I thought although it looked very nice there are some concerns regarding the stadium. Family stand behind the goal? Next to the away fans? And an entire main stand devoted to corporate punters?

The SUFC guy I spoke to was very cold on the safe standing idea. Apparently it would cost millions in modifications to exits, etc. I'm not so sure and will continue to bang that drum. Couldn't find anyone from Populous to ask about it, they'd be more in the know about that type of thing.

I couldn't see any sign of a supporters pub either, that idea appears to have quietly been dropped.

This stadium thing may well happen now but I saw little to give me confidence that it will be built with supporters in mind.

I don't think I could do with a 3 sided ground, please someone tell me this isn't true :sad:

I took the rest of the development to be the retail/residential/restaurant elements as well as the fourth side, so not necessarily a 3-5 year wait for a Main Stand. That said, you never know...

Personally I thought although it looked very nice there are some concerns regarding the stadium. Family stand behind the goal? Next to the away fans? And an entire main stand devoted to corporate punters?

The SUFC guy I spoke to was very cold on the safe standing idea. Apparently it would cost millions in modifications to exits, etc. I'm not so sure and will continue to bang that drum. Couldn't find anyone from Populous to ask about it, they'd be more in the know about that type of thing.

I couldn't see any sign of a supporters pub either, that idea appears to have quietly been dropped.

This stadium thing may well happen now but I saw little to give me confidence that it will be built with supporters in mind.

Thanks Jai.............. you comes across as a chap who's a realistand who speaks sense so thanks for this update.

3-5 years without a Main Stand?..... Do me a favour. That is a disgrace and very worrying. Smacks of Ron doing just enough to pass the "stadium" as fit for purpose, so he can crack on with his money spinning retail/property development.

I for one hope the Council put something in writing (S106) that it has to be a lot sooner than that. That screams disaster to me. How on earth can we survive that long without the main income stream, outside of general ticket sales?

I know I have been one of the most sceptical about this whole shambles, but sorry this does not calm my nerves one little bit. In fact if anything I am even more concerned than before. Where is the guarantee a 4th side will be built?....Oxford on a grand scale springs to mind.

The whole thing is just backward. How many stadiums have been built without a main stand?

For once I agree with you. If it is 3-5 years for the main stand then that is just completely wrong. The RH &FF project between them will generate so much money that the cost of the stadium will be be insignificant in comparison. Something is wrong!!!

Is RM and or SK in attendance? If so, we really should be getting all these answers. If not, we're back to square one where we have no idea and makes this all not worth while.

Is RM and or SK in attendance? If so, we really should be getting all these answers. If not, we're back to square one where we have no idea and makes this all not worth while.

Kavanagh was there for a bit when I arrived but he didn't stay around for long. I imagine he'll be in and out, I wouldn't expect him to stay for the whole six hours.

Im sure it has been mentioned many times before, but I thought it would be apt, considering we are visiting Gillingham tomorrow.

If we have to make do with a 3 sided stadium, why can't we sacrifice the away stand and put up "scaffolding" so to speak, such as Gillingham, the old Brighton & Mk Dons stadium!... after all, in hindsight, it seemed to worked for them.

The older fans amongst us (not me btw ) fondly remember the infamous noise that the "North Bank" created back in the day. So surely if we need to cut corners so to speak, why surely dont we leave the away fans to be "hung out to Dry" with a non covered roof where their voices will be drowned out. After all, the die - hard fans of every club in every league will travel long distances to see their team, so a roof or proper stand wont really make much difference surely. The 1250+ Southend fans travelling tomorrow, proves this.

I say, if we can only afford 3 stands for now, then so be it, JUST BUILD IT... but please not at the sacrifice of the home fans.

UTB

Which Autumn would this be starting, 2016 or 2026? Don't know why the players look excited, they will never play in it.

Had to be back by 5.30 so could not ask all the questions I wanted too. I do get the impression BL are the right company to make this happen and they have a good track record. They will be a better option than Ron and Sainsbury's, who don't forget stitched up Bristol Rovers as well as us. Here's a few points I asked

They hope to have the plans in by the end of the year, start next Autumn and complete the build within a year. of course that time scale is dependant on the council passing the new plans first time. I personally won't be betting on that.

The main stand as you have heard will be delayed. It will have the hotel and flats, lots of corporate and various lounges but seats for ordinary fans as well...Just like every other new stadium. Smithy has already accused Ron of a conspiracy but the money earner in the stadium section is the flats and the hotel so its in Ron's interest to finish the main stand ASP.

If we have to have three sides for a time we will still have more capacity than RH, which generates virtually sod all in corporate at the moment anyway...so what are we loosing. Their will be bars for fans in the three sides anyway so if your sitting behind the goal with scaffold down one side for a few years in the long term its hardly a 'Disgrace'

The stadium will not be designed for standing....the stands are too shallow and the rules are if you have seating for 5,000 then you have to have facilities for 7,500 if you go to standing. They will not risk the extra cost in the facilities when standing may never be granted. I did ask why can't you just allow the same 5,000 to stand, which they said could work talked of lost revenue etc. I didn't have time to check whether the height of the steps would still be a factor so that's a question someone may want to ask.

The biggest problem I can see will be access to the ground via the 127 on a match day. I think one possibility could be linking the airport through the temple farm industrial estate and near the rugby club as this would give an alternative route and link the hotel to the airport. Would be easy to shuttle a bus or walk to the airport train station and park on the industrial estate with alternative access.

3-5 years for the main stand!!!! Ron can **** off for my support and I hope every single Southend fan doesn't just roll over so these ***** can have it off. This whole development is only possible because of the football club so Ron and your new pals at BL get your hands in your pockets build the stadium us fans deserve and then have it away on your flats, retail and cinema!!!

3 sided stadium with the 4th not coming for 3-5 years (or if funding allows) Well get a 3 sided stadium and lovely retail shops and a cinema, but that's not going to stop the atmosphere from escaping through the massive missing development!!

Even col u managed to get 4 sides (admittedly they have gaps in the corners)

Everyone needs to sit up and smell the coffee. We are all so desperate for a new stadium that we have lost sight of the impact on SUFC. WE CANNOT ALLOW THIS TIME FRAME!!!

If we have to have three sides for a time we will still have more capacity than RH, which generates virtually sod all in corporate at the moment anyway...so what are we loosing. Their will be bars for fans in the three sides anyway so if your sitting behind the goal with scaffold down one side for a few years in the long term its hardly a 'Disgrace'

Thanks Rigsby - like you I can't see that Ron will not want to build the 4th side ASAP, I think it's just a question of making it a neat deal - I reckon the deal with British Land pays for the 3 sides, Roots Hall and the developers of the flats and hotel pay for the 4th. The thing that concerns me is not the capacity, which will probably be sufficient with just the 3 unless we draw someone huge in the cup, but it seems that all the hospitality facilities are also in the 4th side which means the club will have to live without that income or put in a temporary facility which probably wouldn't be very good!

stadium will not be designed for standing....the stands are too shallow and the rules are if you have seating for 5,000 then you have to have facilities for 7,500 if you go to standing. They will not risk the extra cost in the facilities when standing may never be granted. I did ask why can't you just allow the same 5,000 to stand, which they said could work talked of lost revenue etc. I didn't have time to check whether the height of the steps would still be a factor so that's a question someone may want to ask.

I thought the idea of safe standing (like at Dortmund) is that the seats can be locked up for standing and released for games that are required to be all seater (eg Champions League). I think whoever you spoke to was waffling an answer without understanding the issue which is, as I understand it, that it is illegal for football league clubs at the moment as stated in this article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-29738556

So nothing clearly stating that 3-5 years is true for 4th stand but as it would be overwhelming the most negative factor its been repeated and amplified as if were a fact. before the Victors & Victorias go into overdrive it would be nice to get some clarification..

The club will need the extra income from the hotel, flats, conference and corporate facilities. If this thing is built at all I doubt we'll be looking at an empty side for too long.

So nothing clearly stating that 3-5 years is true for 4th stand but as it would be overwhelming the most negative factor its been repeated and amplified as if were a fact. before the Victors & Victorias go into overdrive it would be nice to get some clarification..

In the same respect I'm sure it's not just been made up and if true then it truly would be the most negative thing about this development. Clarification is clearly needed but if confirmed I personally cannot support this development

Back