• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2 things spring to mind. Firstly 3-5 years for the main stand is a long time to wait. I would hope it would be sooner. However it's possibly a way of getting round the issue that SUFC need to have a new stadium before work on RH can commence, so is this a way around that covenant? (No one said the stadium had to have 4 sides.)

Secondly, it isn't in Ron's best interests to complete the main stand, it's in SUFCs best interests. It's only in Ron's best interests to complete the retail park.

We have only been waiting 25 years for a new main stand so I'll bee happy to sit behind a goal in a stand that will be much better than the current east stand for 3 years.

BL were involved in the MK dons stadium and they have the Hilton Hotel, who are apparently already interested as they have football experience. Also its the Main stand were all the corporate revenue comes and will include the flats, which will be far more attractive with the whole development finished. If for one second Ron decided he was not going to build the stand their would be a queue of replacements.With all of the extras this must make the newly proposed East stand the most profitable ever built by a developer in football so far.

We have only been waiting 25 years for a new main stand so I'll bee happy to sit behind a goal in a stand that will be much better than the current east stand for 3 years.

BL were involved in the MK dons stadium and they have the Hilton Hotel, who are apparently already interested as they have football experience. Also its the Main stand were all the corporate revenue comes and will include the flats, which will be far more attractive with the whole development finished. If for one second Ron decided he was not going to build the stand their would be a queue of replacements.With all of the extras this must make the newly proposed East stand the most profitable ever built by a developer in football so far.
If building the main stand is going to be so profitable and a no brainer and so many people would be interested in funding it, why isn't it being done at the same time as the rest of the stadium?

What strikes me is the "honesty " of the timings/build delays: No wool or flannel and realist funding aims.
There are many if's and buts, however we should, as supporters, know that something MUST happen soon as Roots Hall is very poor indeed for these modern times; and financing of a club with Championship aspirations.

If building the main stand is going to be so profitable and a no brainer and so many people would be interested in funding it, why isn't it being done at the same time as the rest of the stadium?

Because uncle Ron is in it for the profit, so he won't be to quick to give away the juicy bit. Does that make him any worse than any other modern day chairman, everyone will have their own opinion.

The real problem could be if the council reject the flats as part of the main stand. Having been through planning myself never underestimate how poor or badly informed our council can be.

Last edited:
I am not an architect and do not have any real knowledge of funding etc.
However, there is one constant theme on this thread - the main stand is the money spinner and it will be 3-5 years after completion.
Apologies if I miss the entire point here BUT...it is general business practice to focus on the "money spinner" as a priority and leave the less profitable areas until last. This plan appears to construct all the bits that generate very little income in order to pay for the "money spinner".
Confused but still supportive.

However, there is one constant theme on this thread - the main stand is the money spinner and it will be 3-5 years after completion.
Apologies if I miss the entire point here BUT...it is general business practice to focus on the "money spinner" as a priority and leave the less profitable areas until last. This plan appears to construct all the bits that generate very little income in order to pay for the "money spinner".

I was thinking the same as you about the stand before I went yesterday. I personally came away with a much clearer understanding. And no...they did not give me any hard sell it was from questions I and others asked.

What strikes me is the "honesty " of the timings/build delays: No wool or flannel and realist funding aims.
There are many if's and buts, however we should, as supporters, know that something MUST happen soon as Roots Hall is very poor indeed for these modern times; and financing of a club with Championship aspirations.

Planning consent by April 2016 is a dream! A Section 106 agreement needs to be in place and based on past evidence RM has not yet signed one with SBC. Reality check.

I was thinking the same as you about the stand before I went yesterday. I personally came away with a much clearer understanding. And no...they did not give me any hard sell it was from questions I and others asked.

Thanks Rigsby. So can you explain your new understanding of why and how the three bits that generate very little money will pay for the crown jewel that makes the money...please.
Thanks.

As I have stated - I really do not understand the proposal or the financing.
However, to all the anti-Ron, we have to have four sides brigade.
REMEMBER DARLO!!!! They completed a stadium without structuring the finances well enough. Darlo have/had fours sides and a gleaming new stadium.
Gently does it!!

As I have stated - I really do not understand the proposal or the financing.
However, to all the anti-Ron, we have to have four sides brigade.
REMEMBER DARLO!!!! They completed a stadium without structuring the finances well enough. Darlo have/had fours sides and a gleaming new stadium.
Gently does it!!

Spot on. I'd rather the club/Ron take this on sensibly then borrow a load of money upfront against a site that has yet to be sold and stretch ourselves to far. Let's get the 3 sides done and then Roots Hall can be sorted and we can move forward with Phase 2. Short sighted views worrying about a few years with 3 sides...short term lose long term gain.

The corporate revenue is for Southend United. The retail revenue is for Ron. It's in his personal interest to complete the retail complex, not the main stand. That isn't to say the main stand won't happen, I'm just pointing out that it's erroneous to say it's in his best interest to complete the main stand.

I attended yesterday afternoon and the room was busy but I had a chance to talk to several interested parties.
New commercial manager (Self confessed Gillingham supporter until last month��) he said that the original approved plans were for the 3 sided stadium so that's what is in the initial plans but that they would not proceed without explicit permission for the 4th stand and that it COULD be started on before the main 3 sides were being completed. He also confirmed that the ground would be owned by the club.

I thought the displays were very professional and well presented as you would expect from a proper, experienced organisation (British Land) I can see the concerns re parking and transport but am sure that some parking in the retail space will occur to help boost numbers even if not officially allowed.

There were several Southend council staff there giving the plans a good going over.

All in all a good start but we need lots of vocal support during the planning phase to help it through.

As with all of these things only time will tell

For what it's worth I think the main stand will be completed before that. I would imagine that includes a huge amount of contingency.

Planning consent by April 2016 is a dream! A Section 106 agreement needs to be in place and based on past evidence RM has not yet signed one with SBC. Reality check.

There was no point signing one when the plans were up in the air. That doesn't imply he won't sign it when things are more likely to progress.

Thanks Rigsby. So can you explain your new understanding of why and how the three bits that generate very little money will pay for the crown jewel that makes the money...please.
Thanks.

Its the RH money that pays for the new stand. We cant develop the Hall until we are playing at FF. The alternative would be a main stand and three empty sides or a trip up the A12 in some ground sharing scheme with Col U. Gillingham every other Saturday anyone?

Why are some people so negative?

Rob1920 states in his post #12 that the fourth stand could take 3 - 5 years.

People straight away jump on this - boo hoo, its a disgrace, Ron's up to something, the end of the world is nigh, etc., etc.

But in post #17 he contradictes himself by stating " to be honest i didn't see that mentioned anywhere". This is ignored.

Fairport's post #20 questions the 3 - 5 year time frame. This is ignored.

Jai's post #21 questions the 3 - 5 year time frame. This is ignored.

If people want to bore on about ron, introduce/re hash conspiracy theories fine but don't high jack this post.

I went to the event this afternoon and thought it informative. It highlighted that as jai states the 2 'tower blocks' and the hotel are integral to the 'fourth stand and the stand alone 'tower block behind the east stand also wont be built in the first phase. Their for the vast majority of rons 'nest egg' wont be realsed and till the final stand is built. Also 2nd phase can start before 1st phase is complete if the funds have been realsed although according to the chap i spoke with the sale of rh will only generate a relatively small amount of capital required.

If you read what I said, my comment in post #17 was in response to a question from someone asking if building would be delayed if another public enquiry took place, not whether I saw 3 to 5 years mentioned. It was mentioned, in black & white on one of the boards. I didn't make it up. Can't believe no one else saw it.

I'll admit it may have said 'within' 3 to 5 years, I honestly can't remember, but that timeframe was definitely mentioned. Don't shoot the messenger. And if you're going to accuse me of contradicting myself, read what I wrote first.

If we build the first 3 stands, then will the money spinner for the 4th be the sale of roots hall? Interesting that British land will own much of the retail, as I had thought that was what was supposed to keep the club in the black going forwards. Clearly BL wouldn't be in it for nothing though

I viewed the plans and it will be a very impressive development if it goes through. On reflection I could not understand why the income generating West stand is being delayed as it seems that the only income from a three sided stadium will arise from gate receipts which are variable. No doubt there is more to it and there is of course the sale of Roots Hall. If Fossets is funded by British Land where will that money go?

Back