• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I viewed the plans and it will be a very impressive development if it goes through. On reflection I could not understand why the income generating West stand is being delayed as it seems that the only income from a three sided stadium will arise from gate receipts which are variable. No doubt there is more to it and there is of course the sale of Roots Hall. If Fossets is funded by British Land where will that money go?

There could be hidden plans for the 4th stand, that they don't want to put forward until everything else is built. Even more flats for example.

I'm failing to see decent reasons behind why we 'need' standing and A 4th stand. **** me I will take a stand on one side as a start if that's the way we need to finance a new stadium without stretching ourselves.

I viewed the plans and it will be a very impressive development if it goes through. On reflection I could not understand why the income generating West stand is being delayed as it seems that the only income from a three sided stadium will arise from gate receipts which are variable. No doubt there is more to it and there is of course the sale of Roots Hall. If Fossets is funded by British Land where will that money go?

To pay for the 4th stand.

3 sided stadium with the 4th not coming for 3-5 years (or if funding allows) Well get a 3 sided stadium and lovely retail shops and a cinema, but that's not going to stop the atmosphere from escaping through the massive missing development!!
M
Even col u managed to get 4 sides (admittedly they have gaps in the corners)
Yes our ground was built with pre planned preparation if a greater capacity is required, it was built with a final capacity of around 18000 in mind. The stands on the side can already support an additional tier plus easy infill of the corners has been designed in taking capacity over 18000. At current attendance levels that will not be required in the immediate future!

Yes our ground was built with pre planned preparation if a greater capacity is required, it was built with a final capacity of around 18000 in mind. The stands on the side can already support an additional tier plus easy infill of the corners has been designed in taking capacity over 18000. At current attendance levels that will not be required in the immediate future!

Well it maybe if your 1 man & his dog fanbase bring a friend :raspberry:

Did Col U make provision to make it smaller? :smile:

To be honest I would rather we go down the route we are and get a full stadium 'at some point' than go for a dated 4 individual stand design. However 3-5 years is a long time and its thoroughly depressing to think we will be in a 3 sided stadium for so long. Someone said above that it might be less, but seeing as the last one was meant to be built in 18 months and 7 years later we still have nothing doesnt fill me with a lot of confidence.

On a positive note the stadium does look to be a realistic proposition now which couldnt be said a few months ago, however thinking that we have such a long period where we will be in an incomplete stadium kills any sort of excitement for me.

In the same respect I'm sure it's not just been made up and if true then it truly would be the most negative thing about this development. Clarification is clearly needed but if confirmed I personally cannot support this development

Agree with this and other posts from Kent shrimper. Also absolutely no indication....other than ticket revenue how other income streams will benefit us.....as I can see nothing is going to flow into Sufc. No main stand for corporate facilities etc either....stinks if you ask me

The way that's worded, I believe it means the entire remainder will be completed 3-5 years after the completion of the 3 sided stadium. Meaning the 4th stand could be completed almost immediately, or up to 5 years later.
I like your optimism,but That is 100% not out what the statement says. If that is what was meant then the marketing department needs a new proof writer

Did Col U make provision to make it smaller? :smile:

To be honest I would rather we go down the route we are and get a full stadium 'at some point' than go for a dated 4 individual stand design. However 3-5 years is a long time and its thoroughly depressing to think we will be in a 3 sided stadium for so long. Someone said above that it might be less, but seeing as the last one was meant to be built in 18 months and 7 years later we still have nothing doesnt fill me with a lot of confidence.

On a positive note the stadium does look to be a realistic proposition now which couldnt be said a few months ago, however thinking that we have such a long period where we will be in an incomplete stadium kills any sort of excitement for me.

Not really. If it is to be built "within" 3-5 years then building will be starting after 2. That's no time at all. Ask Brighton supporters whether 5 years without a main stand is a long time. They were without an entire ground for god knows how long!

To those who are anti the idea, I would say this -

1) Stop concerning yourselves about the finances. It's nothing to do with you/us and I promise you, Ron is not going to build a stadium just to let it fail. All the things you are concerned about, Ron will have considered.

2) What's more important - decent atmosphere for 3 years or a proper ground that will enable us to compete in the Championship?

I like your optimism,but That is 100% not out what the statement says. If that is what was meant then the marketing department needs a new proof writer

Reading the statement, it says "over the next 3-5 years".

Please note the difference between that and "within" 3-5 years and also "after" 3-5 years.

Not really. If it is to be built "within" 3-5 years then building will be starting after 2. That's no time at all. Ask Brighton supporters whether 5 years without a main stand is a long time. They were without an entire ground for god knows how long!

1) Stop concerning yourselves about the finances. It's nothing to do with you/us and I promise you, Ron is not going to build a stadium just to let it fail. All the things you are concerned about, Ron will have considered.

2) What's more important - decent atmosphere for 3 years or a proper ground that will enable us to compete in the Championship?

nooooooooope. I'm actually pretty concerned about this. Has anyone who has been to the consultation established of the three parties (Ron, SUFC & British Land):

1. Who will own the ground
  2. Who will the revenue from the ground go to
  3. Who will own the flats
  4. Who will the revenue from the flats go to
  5. Same questions for Hotel
  6. Retail units (including restaurants/cinema etc)

The long term future of the club depends on secure income. If Ron sells the whole thing for a profit and the club ends up with no tangible assets we could end up in a situation like Coventry!

Ron doesn't give a **** about the stadium, Ron cares about his retirement fund. Also I disagree if the club want our support then actually we do need to know what 3-5 years actually mean, there does need guarantees it will actually be built, we do need to know where SUFCs revenue from the development comes from. Personally I don't trust Ronald and would like to know these things before we all start supporting the project because they are all fundamental to SUFCs future

well I went and was glad I did. My one criticism of the presentation was that no one had badges so I kept on having to say, "who are you". Well I met the architect (the new policemen - he looked about 12), the SUFC Commercial Director (good lad- I was impressed), the Landscape architect and a woman that I forget her exact title but seemed to know everything baring future income streams, if any.
Anyway this are my recollections. The club are talking to a hotel chain about the 4th stand. They are household names and we'll be impressed when it's annouced. The 3-5 years is I think from the start but they seemed a bit unsure themselves.They are trying to hit the March 2016 Committee and if plans are Ok'd the srat should be start of 2017). They want it built as soon as possible. They understand fasns frustration.The finance is not dependent on anything happening at Roots Hall so I think that development is "pure gravy" as they say on Storage Hunters. The trees (plenty of them up the Walk will be mature when planted (mainly silver birch). The Walk will have stops named after famous players/personalities since the club was formed (get your thinking caps on - I put forward Sid B). The domes are fantastic (my opinion). A lot of clubs are very envious. We will get more youngsters coming to the Academy. Most coucils would bite the hand off anyone proposing the community one. A fantastic resource.
It should be completed before I die and I'm embarking on a fitness regime starting today to better my chances.

well I went and was glad I did. My one criticism of the presentation was that no one had badges so I kept on having to say, "who are you". Well I met the architect (the new policemen - he looked about 12), the SUFC Commercial Director (good lad- I was impressed), the Landscape architect and a woman that I forget her exact title but seemed to know everything baring future income streams, if any.
Anyway this are my recollections. The club are talking to a hotel chain about the 4th stand. They are household names and we'll be impressed when it's annouced. The 3-5 years is I think from the start but they seemed a bit unsure themselves.They are trying to hit the March 2016 Committee and if plans are Ok'd the srat should be start of 2017). They want it built as soon as possible. They understand fasns frustration.The finance is not dependent on anything happening at Roots Hall so I think that development is "pure gravy" as they say on Storage Hunters. The trees (plenty of them up the Walk will be mature when planted (mainly silver birch). The Walk will have stops named after famous players/personalities since the club was formed (get your thinking caps on - I put forward Sid B). The domes are fantastic (my opinion). A lot of clubs are very envious. We will get more youngsters coming to the Academy. Most coucils would bite the hand off anyone proposing the community one. A fantastic resource.
It should be completed before I die and I'm embarking on a fitness regime starting today to better my chances.

Good summary. Cheers

Ron doesn't give a **** about the stadium, Ron cares about his retirement fund. Also I disagree if the club want our support then actually we do need to know what 3-5 years actually mean, there does need guarantees it will actually be built, we do need to know where SUFCs revenue from the development comes from. Personally I don't trust Ronald and would like to know these things before we all start supporting the project because they are all fundamental to SUFCs future

What use is any development based around a football stadium if the football club goes under?

It is absolutely in his best interests to not only keep us there, but get us as high up the leagues as we can go as that will increase the footfall onto the retail development.

That has always been my firm belief and to be honest, that has been borne out by the fact that he has kept us out of administration through one of the worst financial periods in our history.

To build a nice, shiny new stadium and then just let the football club that plays in it go under makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

With British Land involved? Maybe...just maybe.
We first heard of a new stadium in 1985 and looking without too much prejudice - this time it kind of stacks up and as I say...maybe just MAYBE!!

The corporate revenue is for Southend United. The retail revenue is for Ron. It's in his personal interest to complete the retail complex, not the main stand. That isn't to say the main stand won't happen, I'm just pointing out that it's erroneous to say it's in his best interest to complete the main stand.

not necessarily. if he's putting his hand in his pocket to help with the financial running of the club then surely anything which reduces our dependence on him is good for him?
i don't know all the ins and outs but it seems logical to me that any revenue streams from this project will benefit him directly or indirectly which would mean he is incentivized to get it done ASAP
plus as a property developer it might not look great for him to have a 3/4 built project on his portfolio. and not just any project but a very high profile and visible one (not that the stadium will probably be the most important bit from a purely business point of view)

I attended yesterday afternoon and the room was busy but I had a chance to talk to several interested parties.
New commercial manager (Self confessed Gillingham supporter until last month��) he said that the original approved plans were for the 3 sided stadium so that's what is in the initial plans but that they would not proceed without explicit permission for the 4th stand and that it COULD be started on before the main 3 sides were being completed. He also confirmed that the ground would be owned by the club.

I thought the displays were very professional and well presented as you would expect from a proper, experienced organisation (British Land) I can see the concerns re parking and transport but am sure that some parking in the retail space will occur to help boost numbers even if not officially allowed.

There were several Southend council staff there giving the plans a good going over.

All in all a good start but we need lots of vocal support during the planning phase to help it through.

As with all of these things only time will tell

Own the freehold or the leasehold?

Back