• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

All well and good but you said:

How do we build it without making the money on Roots Hall first?

Thats the reason for 3 sides in the first place, the 4th side pays for the finish, the retail park is what pays for the 3 sides, which in your scenario we wouldnt have.

We cant afford to build a 14k stadium or a 3 sided stadium without generating money from the retail park etc.

The real money lies at RH,leasing retail outlets is chicken feed in comparison .

I thought Ron's partnership with the other mob would overcome most funding issues.the clever money understands the club is being used as the bargaining chip whilst the real money is to be had building property.

They arent going to just give us 30million to build a stadium, they want something out of it, the flats and retail park etc, hence thats why we are doing what we are doing.

They arent going to just give us 30million to build a stadium, they want something out of it, the flats and retail park etc, hence thats why we are doing what we are doing.

Their return will be aplenty once the project is completed.Build stadium at BL approx 15 months...Then build on RH and FF at the same time,it is really that simple.

Their return will be aplenty once the project is completed.Build stadium at BL approx 15 months...Then build on RH and FF at the same time,it is really that simple.

With your vast residential, Stadium and retail Development experience. I can't se why you haven't offered the club you services before. Of course if this project is to small and no real challenge perhaps you could just fund uncle Ron from your enormous self made fortune.

With your vast residential, Stadium and retail Development experience. I can't se why you haven't offered the club you services before. Of course if this project is to small and no real challenge perhaps you could just fund uncle Ron from your enormous self made fortune.

How many years so far have we been waiting under Ron's plans ?

Always a good way to judge a man before you slag him off on the zone.

You can think what you like pal, I wasn't 'slagging him off' as you charmingly put it. I was posting my opinion and nothing more.

I don't have a clue when the next local elections are due, but when they do it could be that the colours could change again from the Independent/and Others coalition to another flavour. Then all the wooing by Ron would have to start again.

One third of Southend-on-Sea Borough Council in Essex, England is elected each year, followed by one year without election. Since the last boundary changes in 2001, 51 councillors have been elected from 17 wards.

A third of the Council is up for election in May 2016, there having been elections in May 2014 and May 2015, there will be a break in 2017 before the cycle resumes in May 2018.

One third of Southend-on-Sea Borough Council in Essex, England is elected each year, followed by one year without election. Since the last boundary changes in 2001, 51 councillors have been elected from 17 wards.

A third of the Council is up for election in May 2016, there having been elections in May 2014 and May 2015, there will be a break in 2017 before the cycle resumes in May 2018.

Thanks, Cockle, I now have a clue.

Seems this is becoming a debate over the merits of "the two Ronnie's" Martin and Woodley. Although Woodley, of course, had to listen to the concerns of businesses large and small, he has to be aware of the real world. High streets are gradually changing, less retail grocers, more coffee and betting shops etc. The public seem to prefer more out of town retail sites where they can park for free rather than pay. As long as businesses thrive and increase it doesn't really matter where the exact location is as long as it is accessible and more importantly remains in Southend. Ron Woodley has his merits but he doesn't reply to emails which I find particularly unacceptable. As others have said, the make up of the Council could quite easily change after next May's local elections.

You can't build at the same time. FF has to be completed first. SUFC have to have a home. Therefore someone has to fund the £30m !! Plus RH has it's own problems. Sainsburys owning land ? Super Pizza won't move etc

Its not simple.

BL are involved due to the money being made on Fossetts Farm under the current plans. They arent going to build us a stadium based on returns in the future if that stuff doesnt get built.

Roots Hall will not fund the stadium on its own and under your suggestion we wouldnt build the parts of it they are investing in.

The stadium is being funded by the retail/leisure park, without that there is no stadium, even a slightly smaller one.

If it were as simple as you think Ron wouldnt have struggled for nearly a decade trying to get it done. Even with BL on board he is unable to build a complete stadium.

How about you build the new stadium, mrsblue ? It's very simple ! Just pay the £30m+ to build it, then reap the rewards from the sale of RH. Wot ya reckon ? :unsure:

Its not simple.

BL are involved due to the money being made on Fossetts Farm under the current plans. They arent going to build us a stadium based on returns in the future if that stuff doesnt get built.

Roots Hall will not fund the stadium on its own and under your suggestion we wouldnt build the parts of it they are investing in.

The stadium is being funded by the retail/leisure park, without that there is no stadium, even a slightly smaller one.

If it were as simple as you think Ron wouldnt have struggled for nearly a decade trying to get it done. Even with BL on board he is unable to build a complete stadium.

I am suggesting building a modest stadium which caters for our and the club needs,simple design which keeps costs down.

What is the difference if BL build the stadium at Boots or FF assuming the council gives the green light that FF can still be used for the retail complex and housing?

How about you build the new stadium, mrsblue ? It's very simple ! Just pay the £30m+ to build it, then reap the rewards from the sale of RH. Wot ya reckon ? :unsure:

:hilarious::nope::hilarious::nope::hilarious:

I am suggesting building a modest stadium which caters for our and the club needs,simple design which keeps costs down.

What is the difference if BL build the stadium at Boots or FF assuming the council gives the green light that FF can still be used for the retail complex and housing?

If it doesnt matter where the stadium is built why did you suggest it should be on the Boots and Laces then, you brought that up :facepalm:

(and if a retail park is to be built common sense puts it at the front by the main road).

A more modest stadium will still require the same plans. It has already been scaled back and simplified and its already been mentioned in teh past that the cost of an extra 5,000 seats isnt going to save that much anyway.

Getting back to the point of the thread thats the issue here, the plans require a retail/leisure park whatever size stadium and thats fundamental into getting the ground built and at present the plans of another development in town is a big threat.

Where do you find the money to build the modest stadium at Boots, though ? :blush:

Interesting proposal. The council will increase the demand for that area of the seafront but reduce the parking spaces by building on the car park. There appears to be no suggestion that another site in the area will be made into a car park to make up the shortfall.

The traders want more parking. The new plans slightly increase the number of spaces but overall there is a loss of spaces. How long will the new development put up with people parking there to use the rest of the seafront? How many families will want to walk very far, in an area notorious for alcohol fuelled poor behaviour, just to see a film?

It appears, on the surface, the council are keen to develop an area of prime land, at someone else's expense, and will turn a blind eye to a myriad of genuine concerns and drawbacks. Oh to have a council that would bend over backwards to see FF built!

So all we need to do is find somene willing to put up 30 mill against the value of Roots Hall (and all the debts) and pick Jason Williams and the garden will be well and truly rosy. Why have these 'simple' solutions not occurred to anyone at the club I wonder ?

It appears, on the surface, the council are keen to develop an area of prime land, at someone else's expense, and will turn a blind eye to a myriad of genuine concerns and drawbacks. Oh to have a council that would bend over backwards to see FF built!

You'd rather they did it at their own (i.e. our) expense ?

Anyone who thinks the council is the reason that FF has not been built after all these years and years and years is sadly deluded.

Last edited:
Back